TStechnij

YOUTH | Paolo Sorrentino | December 4th

"Fred and Mick, two old friends, are on vacation in an elegant hotel at the foot of the Alps. Fred, a composer and conductor, is now retired. Mick, a film director, is still working. They look with curiosity and tenderness on their children's confused lives, Mick's enthusiastic young writers, and the other hotel guests. While Mick scrambles to finish the screenplay for what he imagines will be his last important film, Fred has no intention of resuming his musical career. But someone wants at all costs to hear him conduct again."

One of my favorite films coming out of TIFF and likely the top of my list that will get an viewers. Emotional and absolutely gorgeous. Please make me rave about this film because I will.

• Like 1

One of my favorite films coming out of TIFF and likely the top of my list that will get an viewers. Emotional and absolutely gorgeous. Please make me rave about this film because I will.

it looks really good. cant wait to see this one.

Caine/Keitel veterans are in top form.

amazing what they can achieve at their age

Caine is 82

Keitel is 76.

Edited by Halba

Went to see this a couple days ago. Love the way Sorrentino can find meaning and beauty in an almost intuitive juxtaposition of images (his movies really rely on editing to achieve their effect more than almost anyone else's), and I'm glad that for most of the movie he keeps things light and amusing despite some weighty subject matter. As a two-hour series of observations, it's a pleasant watch, but it also can't help but be uneven - for every inspired moment (Caine conducting cows, Keitel seeing the characters of his films before him, the revelation of who Dano is preparing to play, a nightmare as a garish music video, etc.) there's much less interesting stuff like broad jokes about Hollywood, most of Weisz's plotline, exchanges and monologues that fall flat. Plus Caine and Keitel don't really do anything revelatory here, and the movie quickly loses steam and becomes much more po-faced after Fonda's cameo, when there's still half an hour to go. Overall it's good, but Sorrentino has done a lot better.