antovolk

Sicario: Day of the Soldado | Stefano Sollima | Final Trailer Page 9 | June 29

4 minutes ago, Coco Bottle said:

Too bad you guys decided to write this off. It looks very promising and very good. Much more excited for this movie than most sequels/CBMs next year.

Eh, I'm still writing it off. Any movie can be made to look awesome in 2.5 minutes. I feel like if they were truly that interested in making something good here they would've waited until Villeneuve was available again.

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Eh, I'm still writing it off. Any movie can be made to look awesome in 2.5 minutes. I feel like if they were truly that interested in making something good here they would've waited until Villeneuve was available again.

Or they found a good director for the story they wanted to tell. This is like writing Aliens 2 off because they got some upstart James Cameron instead of waiting for Ridley Scott.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

But why? Villanueve isn't necessary to this being good. Sheridan wrote something (presumably  good or at least interesting because it's Sheridan) they pick another director they find promising and have it put by 2018. No need to way for Denise (who is seeming like a pretty busy dude)

• Like 4

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Lor San Tele said:

Yeah, I don’t really care about DV’s lack of involvement. Even if it’s just a basic updating of CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER, there’s fun to be had. 

And honestly if Soldado is good, I'll be very happy for another reason. A franchise willing to experiment with tone and style is much more interesting than just delivering a rehashed Sicario.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Coco Bottle said:

Or they found a good director for the story they wanted to tell. This is like writing Aliens 2 off because they got some upstart James Cameron instead of waiting for Ridley Scott.

A competent foreign film doesn't inspire as much confidence as The Terminator. With a sequel greenlit this quickly my first thought is they cared more about turning it into a B-exploitation franchise at the expense of all the sociopolitical subtext that made the first movie such a hit.

Maybe I'm wrong; wouldn't be the first time. But the only thing that's going to sway me here is reviews. 

Edited by tribefan695

This looks good. 

3 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

Yeah, I don’t really care about DV’s lack of involvement. Even if it’s just a basic updating of CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER, there’s fun to be had. 

Yup. It's not like Villenueve is the only great quality filmmaker out there or something. As long as it's a solid follow-up, I'll be pleased.

• Like 1