antovolk

Sicario: Day of the Soldado | Stefano Sollima | Final Trailer Page 9 | June 29

34 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

r2d2 with the questionable taste

IMO

- never seen Enemy so to be fair I guess I haven't seen all his movies

- Blade Runner's "twist" or "reveal" or whatever you want to call it is dumb because it's not like it shocked anyone and it didn't really change the story at all either. Not exciting enough of a climax and overall a waste of a third act after what was a solid first hour and a half. Definitely not worth the runtime

- Sicario is probably his second best. Some truly tense moments and great performances undercut by an excruciatingly slow script. I'm all for slow movies as long as something is being built in it, but this one's second act just grinds to a halt until the admittedly exciting last half hour

- Arrival had awesome set-up, but its third act was so DUMB that its hard to ignore; in my opinion the movie writes itself into a corner that it needs to create some major plot hole/extension of reality that did just not fit within the rules the movie had already set up. I mean, what was up with the Chinese guy?

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

IMO

- Blade Runner's "twist" or "reveal" or whatever you want to call it is dumb because it's not like it shocked anyone and it didn't really change the story at all either. Not exciting enough of a climax and overall a waste of a third act after what was a solid first hour and a half. Definitely not worth the runtime

- Sicario is probably his second best. Some truly tense moments and great performances undercut by an excruciatingly slow script. I'm all for slow movies as long as something is being built in it, but this one's second act just grinds to a halt until the admittedly exciting last half hour

- Arrival had awesome set-up, but its third act was so DUMB that its hard to ignore; in my opinion the movie writes itself into a corner that it needs to create some major plot hole/extension of reality that did just not fit within the rules the movie had already set up. I mean, what was up with the Chinese guy?

but like... is Prisoners really any good thought? :ph34r:

Also yeah I should probably see Enemy 

Edited by Ethan Hunt

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

but like... is Prisoners really any good thought? :ph34r:

Also yeah I should probably see Enemy 

Prisoners is pretty tense. Idk I haven't watched it in a few years but from what I remember there wasn't really anything I disliked about it

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

IMO

Enemy is pretty experimental, Incendies is another you haven't seen which has disturbing realism.

I mean you seem to like the films but have some nitpick, not entirely sure what you mean with Arrival though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Enemy is pretty experimental, Incendies is another you haven't seen which has disturbing realism.

I mean you seem to like the films but have some nitpick, not entirely sure what you mean with Arrival though.

Exactly, I don't hate any of them, but I just don't think any deserve the near universal praise they have gotten. 

And Arrival I just hated the ending :lol: felt like a cheap cop-out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Exactly, I don't hate any of them, but I just don't think any deserve the near universal praise they have gotten. 

And Arrival I just hated the ending :lol: felt like a cheap cop-out

Spoiler

Well the nuclear war part is just added to make the film more dramatic and give it a bit of tension. All her memories played throughout the film were actually clips of the future and she "remembered" talking to the Chinese guy. In her vision of the future there is no nuclear war so she must talk with the Chinese president or whatever to end the nuclear war.  I mean the film didn't need the nuclear war part and it would have worked the same so I see where you're coming from. I think it's cool that the aliens gave the humans the power to perceive time differently because they already know that the humans will repay the favour.