antovolk

Sicario: Day of the Soldado | Stefano Sollima | Final Trailer Page 9 | June 29

Potential spoilers for the movie.

Lionsgate is developing a sequel to “Sicario” that will center on

Spoiler

Benicio Del Toro’s mysterious hitman.

The project is being overseen by Taylor Sheridan, the writer of the acclaimed thriller. Director Denis Villeneuve is also involved, although it’s early in the process and it’s not clear if he would come on board to direct.

“Before the release of this movie, I was talking to Denis and I said what happened to this character?” said Patrick Wachsberger, co-chair of the studio’s motion picture group. “Where is

Spoiler

Benicio

going?”

http://variety.com/2015/film/box-office/sicario-sequel-benicio-del-toro-lionsgate-1201599035/

Titled Soldado, Blunt NOT returning, Stefano Sollima in final talks to direct

http://deadline.com/2016/06/sicario-sequel-stefano-sollima-benicio-del-toro-gomorra-1201765978/

The sequel focuses on Alejandro Gillick, the shadowy Man on Fire-like protagonist played by Benicio Del Toro, and Josh Brolin’s CIA agent Matt Graver, who in the first film established themselves as hellbent on hunting down cartel kingpins, no matter what. The script by Sheridan — who wrote the original — has been very well received. Gone is the principled FBI agent character played by Emily Blunt. The subject matter is very topical, as Gillick and Graver concern themselves with what is being smuggled across the border between Mexico and the U.S. in the tunnels used to move drugs and illegal immigrants. Those tunnels also can be used to bring terrorists into the U.S.

Edited by antovolk

Not sure if I should make a new thread for this but anyway....classic Lionsgate:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/exclusive-sicario-3-sicario-2-soldado-stefano-sollima-benicio-del-toro-suburra-gomorrah-trilogy-a7082241.html

In an interview with The Independent, Sollima has now revealed plans to make more than just one sequel. “The idea is to make three anthology movies with some of the core actors and [set] in the same world,” he says. “It’s not a real sequel. It’s absolutely a standalone movie a completely different story with just two of the characters that you met in Sicario. The reason that I love it is because it’s not exactly a sequel; it’s something you can catch and enjoy even if you haven’t watched the first one.” He also notes Blunt was never expected to return, and that “the antagonists are now absolutely the main characters.”

“I loved Sicario. I feel the movie was quite similar to my approach so, to me, I’m just shooting another movie. Soldado will be much more cinematic than Sicario was; it’s got an incredible amount of huge action sequences in there. It will be a different journey in the same world. Even the theme is different not drug dealing, it’s more on immigration.” Hopefully they don’t fully go the bigger-is-better route, but thinking of the franchise as an anthology makes us a bit more curious as to what is in store.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

wow, there wasn't an update for a time. I am sure there were several casting news in the last 2 weeks

EXCLUSIVE: has joined Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin in the 'Sicario' sequel

SOMEONE GET THIS HOTHEAD OUTTA HERE

@4815162342

• Like 2