Plain Old Tele

THE BIG SHORT | Paramount | December 23, 2015 | Adam McKay directing | Pitt, Bale, Gosling, Carelll

4 hours ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

I don't understand why it happened when it was already scheduled, this close to the release date. 

Probably because they needed more screens for Star Wars. Really sucks though. 

If thats ok then drop Point Break. Thats a pointless film

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The film was a bit hard to follow with the extensive use of business jargon. Definitely think that that's gonna affect its word of mouth and legs, since its documentary-style film making might not be what the general public was expecting after the trailer; or with the cast involved.

12 hours ago, TMP said:

The film was a bit hard to follow with the extensive use of business jargon. Definitely think that that's gonna affect its word of mouth and legs, since its documentary-style film making might not be what the general public was expecting after the trailer; or with the cast involved.

What?!! The movie goes out of its way to explain the jargon. It's not hard to follow if you're paying attention. 

Seeing this tomorrow, I'm working on my economics degree and the find the subject in general (especially the causes for the crashes) extremely interesting, so it could be a straight up doc and Id likely find it entertaining.

Excited, it looks like a fun movie.  Plus, I always appreciate movies trying to educate the public on important subjects (and actually trying to make it appealing to the GA)

I loved this. Funny, thought provoking, and a great ensemble. McKay's direction was fantastic and really a breath of fresh air. This is far and away the most "Best Picture" of the BP contenders I've seen (which is everything except The Revenant and Carol). Can't comment on those two, but I would be pretty shocked if this doesn't end up a bigger front-runner than Spotlight. I can easily see BP, BD, Adap SP, and Editing awards. I also predict both Carrell and Bale will score "surprise" noms. 

On 26/12/2015 at 9:58 AM, tribefan695 said:

If WOM isn't good, I would guess it's because it doesn't say anything particularly illuminating that wasn't already explored to much more engaging effect in Inside Job or Wolf of Wall Street

WoWS does fuck all to explain the crash (it's not even about the crash) so I'd hope this actually does a bit more than that.

• Like 3

On 26/12/2015 at 9:58 AM, tribefan695 said:

If WOM isn't good, I would guess it's because it doesn't say anything particularly illuminating that wasn't already explored to much more engaging effect in Inside Job or Wolf of Wall Street

WoWS does fuck all to explain the crash (it's not even about the crash) so I'd hope this actually does a bit more than that.

It wasn't about the crash per se but it was also a sardonic, fourth wall breaking look at how white collar people screw average Americans over. Inside Job was definitely about the crash though and it would not be inaccurate to describe this as a mashup of the two

On 12/26/2015 at 3:58 AM, tribefan695 said:

Is there anything to suggest that WOM isn't good so far?

• Like 1

I haven't seen anything to indicate negative WoM, I think it's just how you feel about the film helping your judgement.

At least my audience was enthusiastic about the movie and got people talking, in a good way.  Getting people talking is good for WOM.

I read the book on a recent holiday: it requires a casual knowledge of some financial jargon but the main takeaway is that not even the the Big Banks knew what the hell they were doing or what was going to happen. They basically invented a new way to make tons of money and had no idea about the obvious-in-hindsight consequences, which is almost as scary as deliberately screwing people over.

They knew what they were doing, please.

They just choose to put on blind folders because they were making money.

The insanity still continue and it s probably worse than it s ever been.

The world is still sitting on trillions (not a typo) of collaterals, derivatives and debt that will never be paid.

• Like 1