kayumanggi

THE BOOK OF HENRY | 06.16.17 | Focus | Reactions on Page 3. They're not pretty.

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I think Trevorrow just ended up working with a shitty script.  He didn't write it.  He's still gonna be on for Episode IX, especially cause no one will remember this film in 3 weeks.

Pretty much. This is an indie that no one's gonna see, not a Fantastic Four-level misfire. He's staying on board for Episode 9 no matter what.

• Like 1

Regardless of how you feel about Jurassic World, the movie did gangbusters and was a pretty good popcorn flick. Why would Trevorrow lose his job for Star Wars when his indie film didn't really amount to much but his blockbuster was one of the biggest movies. Star Wars is a tent pole film. Trevorrow has shown he can direct a tent pole film and get good results from it. 

Some of the overreactions over this movie and how it's gonna cost him his job are laughable. 

• Like 10

The spoilery description of the story in the THR review sounds incredible. They need to combine Sea of Trees, Shut In and this into a triple feature of "Can we please rescue Naomi Watts from insanely idiotic scripts?" mid-2010s movies. 

• Like 1

Can someone explain to me why everyone is celebrating the film getting bad reviews? I knew the internet had a serious hard on for Trevorrow since JW but this is mystifying. Anyway, considering how original and risky it seems to be, it's bound to be divisive. I saw plenty of good to great reactions from the GA which leads me to think there might be a big critics-audience divide. I have trouble believing the film is as bad as they are making it out to be, then again, the trailer, clips, score samples all look/sound great to me.

The main complaint coming back is that the tone mashing (which Trevorrow mentioned as being delicate to navigate) isn't working for the critics. Fact is, you can see critics on Twitter who can't stop talking about it despite them repeating how bad it is, its originality and genre mix will be what makes you love it or hate it. Considering that Trevorrow jokingly told a guy who loved the film on Twitter yday that he should become a critic, preferably in the next 24h, he probably knew this would not be a critical darling. AND he might not have written the script but he keeps saying how he fell in love with it, with how original it is and felt the need to do this.

What's bothersome is the over the top, hateful, vitriolic reviews out there, you can not like the film, just don't be an a-hole. If anything, all of this is making me even more excited to see it. RT, Metacritic (where it's at 30) have been way off the mark lately.

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 4

This just makes me want to see the movie even more! Lol

Trevorrow isn't going to be taken off Ep9 because of this. He's already turned in a first draft and is probably already doing some pre-production work on it. This means nothing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Isn't the Star Wars movie he's making the one that Josh Trank was gonna make before getting fired? Or was that the Han Solo movie?

No. Trank was going to be doing a bounty hunter/Boba Fett movie. After they dropped him from it they put that movie on the back burner and decided to do RO and Solo ahead of it. 

There's been rumors that they're still planning on doing it though. 

• Like 2

We're not gonna agree on this but your line of defence is basically "the film looks like shit to me (to which I'd say you need to watch more films) so I'm going to be an a-hole, celebrate, mock, tease and insult a filmmaker's sincere work" 

It bears reminding that those people are fuc kin human beings, show some respect. Does it seriously make your day or bring you joy? Trevorrow is not that far from Snyder hatred level, and it's pathetic, just like the clowns hoping this will get him booted off of Star Wars. Get a fu ckin life.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

We're not gonna agree on this but your line of defence is basically "the film looks like shit to me (to which I'd say you need to watch more films) so I'm going to be an a-hole, celebrate, mock, tease and insult a filmmaker's sincere work" 

It bears reminding that those people are fuc kin human beings, show some respect. Does it seriously make your day or bring you joy? Trevorrow is not that far from Snyder hatred level, and it's pathetic, just like the clowns hoping this will get him booted off of Star Wars. Get a fu ckin life.

I mean, I see plenty of films and think this looks like a steaming hot mess.

Also, you don't have to type fuck like fuc k.

48 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

What's bothersome is the over the top, hateful, vitriolic reviews out there, you can not like the film, just don't be an a-hole. If anything, all of this is making me even more excited to see it. RT, Metacritic (where it's at 30) have been way off the mark lately.

How are people being assholes? If they think the movie is terrible, they can express that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Pretty sure no one's making fun of Trevorrow. Talented people make movies that turn out to be pieces of shit all the time.

The funny part in all of this is that the movie is apparently every bit as ridiculous as the trailer makes it look. Can't say the studio applied false or misleading advertising here.

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Can someone explain to me why everyone is celebrating the film getting bad reviews? I knew the internet had a serious hard on for Trevorrow since JW but this is mystifying.

You already pointed one reason, that he became the always go to poster boy of the white male privilege subject I think (a bit undeservedly and not just in hindsight of is financial result). Specially with how he responded to it (saying that a big part of the difference was women director not pitching franchise entry / trilogy to studios, and it was I think probably true and a valid point, it match what Kennedy said for Star Wars, that no serious woman director made a serious pitch to them while receiving tons from men)

The second reason, is many really disliked that movie and thought he was a terrible choice for star wars, so him getting bad reviews they see some chance of him getting the boot or less control on it (or just see validation that they were right and so gloat in it)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Josh Trank got fired from Han Solo.

I thought Trank was for the never officially announced Boba Fett movie, and it was part of the reason it got pushed back.

I'm really worried for Ep IX, even though I liked JW, it was not near the level of quality a SW movie needs to be. and this sounds like a massive train wreck, please Disney come to your senses and hire a more competent director.