kayumanggi

THE BOOK OF HENRY | 06.16.17 | Focus | Reactions on Page 3. They're not pretty.

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

Remember that? Holy shit...was that ever a surprise that nobody saw coming!!! I distinctly remember how nobody, absolutely nobody even suspected that a reboot/sequel to Jurassic Park was going to be the film who would first outperform The Avengers' OW, let alone its domestic total. 

Nah I think @excel1 did. Nobody believed him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Even Excel was only predicting like a 140m OW or so... up until maybe when Thurs previews came out?

Predicted maximum potential reached, thought that was the $140-$150 range. I drove the record bandwagon after 18m midnights which was about double what I expected.

• Like 2

For your information, Kennedy and co saw the film late 2015, Trevorrow knew the bad reviews were coming, he's fully aware of how much of a tightrope act (his words) the film is, and that the wild tonal changes will be jarring to some people and that's okay, he also said the film tested very well, huge divides (especially with this film) btw critics and audience happen, that doesn't negate what he's accomplished before.

He also mentioned in those lengthy interviews (made in the last few weeks) that he's been working with Rian, JJ, drafts have been delivered, he's moved to frickin England, he's mentioned his love for SW and how he knows how much it means for a lot of people and the responsibility it entails. If anythg, The Book Of Henry, despite being a failure for the critics (which is merely an opinion, and I've read far more positive audience feedback, the complete opposite actually), shows a filmmaker who's willing to take risks, knowing full well (he said so) that he didnt have to do it and that the script is such that there's a small chance of sticking the landing. 

I respect the guy tremendously, not only does he know what he's talking about, seeing him talk about his process in interviews, but he also seems like a really good guy. Your misguided dreams that this will get him booted off are just that: dreams. Brad Bird did help in bringing his name into the fold but as he explained it to Josh Horowitz, Frank Marshall & Kathy Kennedy took notice on JW of not only his ability and skill in steering the ship of a ginormous production, but also how he treated his crew, how he worked with the actors.

Colin won the gig fair & square. The mature thing to do is to give him a chance, let him show us what he can do, I've no doubt that now, more than ever with the charming online bashing, he has to feel the need to prove himself and deliver the best SW film he can make. Rooting for him.

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 4

On 6/16/2017 at 10:49 PM, Chewy said:

If they really cared about an interesting voice, they'd have hired Matt Vaughn and he brings along with his screenwriter, Jane Goldman, to revise/update the final installment of this third Star Wars trilogy. Or, best case, they peg someone like Kat Bigelow. Don't think she'd be interested though. Seems happy with what she's doing now.

Didn't Disney/Marvel already employ the talent of Jenkins on Thor 2 before she moved on due to differences? Didn't they also pursue Ava DuVernay for Black Panther before moving on to Ryan Coogler after she passed on it? Could be mistaken but that's what I thought happened.

29 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

If they really cared about an interesting voice, they'd have hired Matt Vaughn and he brings along with his screenwriter, Jane Goldman, to revise/update the final installment of this third Star Wars trilogy. Or, best case, they peg someone like Kat Bigelow. Don't think she'd be interested though. Seems happy with what she's doing now.

Didn't Disney/Marvel already employ the talent of Jenkins on Thor 2 before she moved on due to differences? Didn't they also pursue Ava DuVernay for Black Panther before moving on to Ryan Coogler after she passed on it? Could be mistaken but that's what I thought happened.

Fan director casting leads nowhere I am afraid.

47 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Fan director casting leads nowhere I am afraid.

I just more so mean that Hollywood definitely needs to make much more of an effort to pursue talented women directors but names like Mira Nair (Harry Potter), Michelle Maclaren (Wonder Woman), Patty Jenkins (Thor) and, just recently, Ava DuVernay (Black Panther) have either passed or moved on due to creative differences from marquee blockbuster projects. Jenkins did a fine job on Wonder Woman but also seemingly didn't provide any of the push back and creative differences that Maclaren brought along with her. As in, she was easier for the studio to work with.

I think it s also good to remain modest about why a director decided to not work with a studio.

People, movie bloggers should stop pretending they truly know why a collaboration didn't happen.

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I just more so mean that Hollywood definitely needs to make much more of an effort to pursue talented women directors but names like Mira Nair (Harry Potter), Michelle Maclaren (Wonder Woman), Patty Jenkins (Thor) and, just recently, Ava DuVernay (Black Panther) have either passed or moved on due to creative differences from marquee blockbuster projects. Jenkins did a fine job on Wonder Woman but also seemingly didn't provide any of the push back and creative differences that Maclaren brought along with her. As in, she was easier for the studio to work with.

You are making a lot of assumptions. Particularly about how Jenkins doesn't push back. Hollywood is sexist and I won't more female directors but we have no proof that all of those cases were exactly the same because they involved women.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You are making a lot of assumptions. Particularly about how Jenkins doesn't push back. Hollywood is sexist and I won't more female directors but we have no proof that all of those cases were exactly the same because they involved women.

They're not the same. Pretty sure Mira Nair and Ava DeVurnay straight up passed on the projects I mentioned with them. Pretty sure WB/DC didn't like where Maclaren wanted to take Wonder Woman and Maclaren wouldn't have it any other way... So, she moved on.

• Like 1