WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread | Official estimate: The Martian 55M. Rth Sunday Est Pg43: 13.4M. Gravity will remain October OW record holder.

So The Walk. When IMAX says "Watch a movie or be a part of one", this is the movie they are talking about.

Zemeckis smartly doesn't give us a single wire walking shot from up top till the finale.

The start is good but the middle drags as you just want the actual walk to begin. Once it does, the movie just shifts a few gears.

They really needed to cut out a lot of the narration though.

• Like 2

So The Walk. When IMAX says "Watch a movie or be a part of one", this is the movie they are talking about.

Zemeckis smartly doesn't give us a single wire walking shot from up top till the finale.

The start is good but the middle drags as you just want the actual walk to begin. Once it does, the movie just shifts a few gears.

They really needed to cut out a lot of the narration though.

I hated the first hour and actually love the caper element before the actual walk haha.

The narration was done so poorly.

Sicario is doing ridiculously well all things considered. I wasn't sure it would do 10m total. 

I feel like it is the opposite. 60k per screen average on open weekend in NY/LA, 28k per screen last weekend at 60 theaters, now a week later it is going to do only 4k per screen? Feels like the bottom dropped out on wide release. I had much higher hopes for this.

As I walked out of the Martian, a 12 year old mini Dash Rendar said this,

"That was better than Interstellar. Interstellar was all science, this was part science, part fun."

Because the smiley won't do...

XA1YWMK.gif

That 12 year old needs to go away. He doesn't deserve the power of Nolan.
  • Like 1

http://deadline.com/2015/10/the-martian-the-walk-sicario-weekend-box-office-1201565765/

53m

1). The Martian (FOX), 3,831 theaters / $17.6M-$18.1M Fri. / 3-day cume: $53M /Wk 1

2). Hotel Transylvania 2 (SONY), 3,754 theaters (0) / $7.6M Fri. (-43%)/ 3-day cume: $33.2M(-32%) / Total cume: $91M /Wk 2

3). The Intern (WB), 3,320 theaters (+15)/ $3.7M Fri. (-41%) / 3-day cume: $12.1M (-32%)/Total cume: $37.1M/Wk 1

4). Sicario (LGF), 2,620 theaters (+2561) / $3.9M Fri. (+593%)/3-day cume: $11.4M (+561%)/Total cume: $14.3M /Wk 2

5). Maze Runner: Scorch Trials (FOX), 3,319 theaters (-473)/ $2.1M Fri. (-49%) / 3-day cume:$7.5M (-48%)/ Total cume: $63M/Wk 3

6). Black Mass (WB), 2,768 theaters (-420)/ $1.8M Fri. (-49%)/ 3-day cume: $5.8M(-47%)/Total cume: $52.2M /Wk 3

7). Everest (UNI), 3,009 theaters (+3) / $1.7M Fri. (-57%) / 3-day cume: $5.7M (-57%) /Total cume: $33M/Wk 3

8). The Visit (UNI), 2,296 theaters (-671)/ $1.2M Fri. (-39%)/ 3-day cume: $4M (-39%) / Total cume: $57.8M / Wk 4

9). War Room (SONY), 1,746 theaters (-174) / $800K Fri. (-37%)/ 3-day cume: $2.7M (-36%)/ Total cume: $60.2M/ Wk 6

10). The Perfect Guy (SONY), 1,364 theaters (-525) / $670K Fri. (-54%)/ 3-day cume: $2.2M(-53%)/ Total cume: $52.2M /Wk 4

11). The Walk (SONY), 448 theaters / $379K Fri. / 3-day cume: $1.2M /Total cume: 1.6M /Wk 1

• Like 1

HT2 now with a very healthy drop after the first estimates. Excelent for The Martian, i wont complain about a near Gravity OW. WOM will carry it to pass the 200m milestone.

WTF happen with Everest. After the great IMAX release its in freefall.

I wonder which movie will be the one to have all the rapturously rabid Martian fans do a 180 and say, "I want this to beat The Martian...The Martian is so overrated...It owes its success to [*insert lots of factors except the movie actually connecting with audiences*]...

Are Martin Scorcese or Clint Eastwood planning to direct a space/sicence fiction-ish epic soon?

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 3

HT2 now with a very healthy drop after the first estimates. Excelent for The Martian, i wont complain about a near Gravity OW. WOM will carry it to pass the 200m milestone.

WTF happen with Everest. After the great IMAX release its in freefall.

Well, Universal is losing ground fast in the Fall/Holiday season to Fox (Martian, Alvin, Joy), Sony (Spectre, Hotel 2, Concussion) & Disney (Good Dino & Episode 7), but you gotta admit The Visit is better than expected and they have an orgasmic, spectacular, once-in-a-lifetime summer so they can afford to have a lousy Fall season.

• Like 1