chasmmi

Winter Game SOTM Question 1 - In Memory of those films that came before... (d/l Oct 15th 11:59pm)

With the winter (and fall and spring) season this (and next) year unusually cram packed full of interesting, exciting or intriguing films, both content and box office-wise, I wanted to dedicate one SOTM question to the films that got released just a little too soon to be eligible for the full game at hand.

I like my SOTM questions to get a little crazy and a little risky at times, but I want to kick off with something veering on the simple side, so here goes...

Consider the following 4 films:

The Martian

Sicario

The Walk

Pan

Consider the following 4 criteria and grades:

Final Total Gross at end of game  A+: 5%   A: 10%   B: 15%  C: 20%   D: 25% 

October 16th 3 day weekend total   A+: 3%   A: 6%   B: 10%  C: 15%   D: 20%

Difference in total gross from Goosebumps' total gross as of October 25th  A+: 6%   A: 12%   B: 18%  C: 25%   D: 33%

Number of weekends in release until its first sub $200k weekend   A+: 1 w/e   A: 2 w/e   B: 4 w/e  C: 6 w/e   D: 8 w/e

In this question you can choose to either pick one film OR one criteria.

If you pick one film, you must make a prediction for that film for all for criteria given

If you pick one criteria you must predict how all 4 films will do for that criteria.    

Therefore your prediction will either look like:

Pan -

Total Gross 900M,

Oct 16th w/e gross 47k,

Difference from Goosebumps ​$45

W/E it drops below $250k number 5

or

​​Total Gross

Martian - 5M

The Walk - 745M

Sicario - $25k

Pan - 9M​​​​​  

Scoring:

Scores will be awarded as follows:

For every A+ Grade: 8000 pts

For every A Grade: 4000 pts

​For every B Grade: 0 pts

For Every C Grade: -4000 pts

For Every D Grade: - 10000 pts

If every grade is B or above: 5000 bonus added to total

If every grade is A or above: 10000 bonus added to total

If every grade is A+ or above: 18000 bonus added to total

I will dedicate the next post in this thread to answering any questions anyone has if this is more confusing in other peoples' heads than it is in mine :)

Deadline is Oct 15th 11:59pm (same as preseason deadline),

Stating Abstain is worth 2000 points

Not posting any prediction or wish to abstain will mean a loss of 2000 points

Have fun :)

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 1

So, uh, "...but I want to kick off with something veering on the simple side..." you mean they're going to get more complicated as we go on? Yikes. Plus, my first impression is that this kinda has pain written all over it, though I may change my mind as I think about it.

Abstain 

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

So, uh, "...but I want to kick off with something veering on the simple side..." you mean they're going to get more complicated as we go on? Yikes.

Actually in all honesty this is quite a complicated sotm on the scale of 1 to autoabstain.

Some future questions may be more dangerous than this one, but they won't be as complicated in general. :)

(For the record, i actually think it's deceptively easy to geta positive score in this one ;) )

• Like 1

(For the record, i actually think it's deceptively easy to geta positive score in this one ;) )

I agree. Now that I've had time to think about it, I'm probably going to go for it in one of two ways (haven't quite decided yet). But the question is pretty daunting at first glance.

Edited by Wrath

Wait did MovieMan89 do it correctly cause if so thats really easy u just type those 4 films total gross at the end of the game

What he did was correct yes.

However you cannot wait till the end of the game as the deadline to answer is Thursday evening at midnight when the thread gets locked. 

Do I need to have done all my pre-season stuff before I do this? I'll post my answer for now but if I can't yet just let me know :)

Total Gross:

The Martian - $213M

The Walk - $19.1M

Sicario - $48.1M

Pan - $43.5M

Edited by DAJK

Do I need to have done all my pre-season stuff before I do this? I'll post my answer for now but if I can't yet just let me know :)

Total Gross:

The Martian - $213M

The Walk - $25.1M

Sicario - $48.1M

Pan - $53.5M

No problem at all. Of course this now enters you into the game, so if you forget to get the main preseason questions done in time, you will finish the game with a stupendously low score :P