Fancyarcher

Cruella | Disney | May 28 2021 | Disney+ premiere access hybrid release

7 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is going to D+ right?

They're very specific about the date so delaying it probably aren't being considered.

And also didn't say coming to theaters or anything like it. I can see this on D+ or getting a hybrid release so they can delay BW again.

I suspect Luca will go the same route.

They're being coy for now but this is almost certainly one of their planned hybrid releases if they're going full steam ahead with the marketing (plus it's likely in Stone's contract that she get a Golden Globes push for this). Will likely be their big Memorial Day weekend title for D+ while giving theaters something to show. At least ones that will play it. Raya comes out in two weeks and is only on AMC's site among the big chains.

• Thanks 1

This is a certain D+ release, since it seems the release forgot to find an audience.

I ask myself who will pay to watch it?  It's too dark for senior ladies (my mom watched Maleficent in theaters - while she's not with us any longer, she wouldn't have gone for this), it's too dark for kids, and yet, it's probably off-putting for a lot of folks who are gonna say "I'm not watching a movie about a puppy killer who skinned them for coats"...like puppy killer might be about the worst crime you could give a villain in the 21st century:)...

And yet, I don't think it brings in 13-45 males, either...

So, who's left?  The Bad Moms strongly female 13-55s, except they like puppies, so maybe 1/4 of that?

But, if available on D+, it will be watched for free, and it will retain subscribers...so if this doesn't end up as a straight D+, "isn't it so great you're a subscriber" release, I'll eat my hat...

I think it was a fail at the "concept pitch" for audience draw...

But who knows - I could be wrong.

For the record, this, I'll probably "get to" on D+ sometime in the dog days of summer if it's there...but if not, I won't feel like I'm missing out...

Edited by TwoMisfits

https://deadline.com/2021/02/cruella-trailer-traffic-dazzles-the-world-in-first-day-bests-aladdin-more-1234697915/

EXCLUSIVE: In its first 24 hours after dropping on Feb. 17, the trailer for Disney’s edgy live-action feature Cruella about the famed 101 Dalmatians villainess drew a very notable 71M views per sources.

That’s a very exceptional number for a trailer dropping during the pandemic, even beating the 24 hour trailer viewership figures of pre-Covid theatrical releases Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (61.7M) and Will Smith-Guy Ritchie hit Aladdin (60.8M).

True, Cruella‘s traffic is a far cry from Disney’s Lion King trailer which posted an awesome first day record of 224M global views after dropping on Thanksgiving Day 2018. Mulan‘s first teaser trailer was released in early July 2019 and also grabbed 175M first day views, but again, it was a different time for movies before Coronavirus.

That said, in the Covid 24-hour insane social media breaking news world, the volume of social conversation was enormous for Cruella at 265K mentions surpassing both Aladdin (228K) and Beauty and The Beast (154K) which benefitted respectively from the social footprints of Smith and Emma Watson.

Cruella is currently dated to open on May 28 in theaters. Deadline first heard that the movie was going to do Disney+, however, at Disney Investor Day, the studio didn’t include it among those features transitioning to the streaming service. On March 5, Disney is doing a same-day theatrical and Disney+ PVOD release of Raya and the Last Dragon. It remains to be seen whether the studio will emulate the same type of distribution strategy with Cruella. There’s intense speculation given how Los Angeles and New York City aren’t open yet that Disney will move the theatrical release of Marvel’s Black Widow off its May 7 opening date.

51 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Idk why they didn't have this one be the one they had Guy Ritchie direct with how the direction seems to be

Craig Gillespie's previous movie was an Oscar-winning comedic biopic about Tonya Harding, who was once the most hated woman in the world, so they were clearly aiming for a similar vibe with this.

• Like 2