Fancyarcher

Cruella | Disney | May 28 2021 | Disney+ premiere access hybrid release

On 5/29/2021 at 1:18 AM, lorddemaxus said:

lmao wtf

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I suppose spoilers with tag are fair game since its on digital like it is for TV shows.

Yeah that was weird. Also why will Cruella gift Pongo to Rogers. Who is he to her. Anita I guess make sense. I like to see my continuity go well. That said, not a fan of changing Anita's race. In fact Anita character is super lame unlike animation.

Film was ok but who asked for it and who thought of making it.

Cruella a total genius, got outsmarted by two dogs. 

Jasper and Horrace, two capable fellas, turned into idiots in few months. 

Jasper who dismiss Horrace as "dogs can't be that smart" atleast twice in the original. Dude your every operation is success because of two dogs you have.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

It's doing OK at the box office, but is being beaten badly by ASQ2.

I wonder how it will do on Disney Plus. I still think, except for a special event, 30 bucks is beyond what most people will pay for a PPV. yes, I know the argument that is not more then you would pay to take you kids to see it in the theater, but people expect to pay less for a PPV then for a ticket

Putting out a pristine HD copy no doubt cut into sales badly, especially when the movie simply isn't a huge spectacle event film. Still, a fairly decent showing overall for the film despite this.

Now why the budget so high, when this is exactly the kind of goofy crime film they could easily make for less than $35 million, is anyone's guess. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst

12 hours ago, TerwillikerInst said:

Now why the budget so high, when this is exactly the kind of goofy crime film they could easily make for less than $35 million, is anyone's guess. 

The combination of elaborate production design, even more elaborate costume design, and extensive work with animals is automatically going to cause your budget to go very high, one can imagine.

Also:

Edited by filmlover

With a 100 Million budget, looks as if this won't bomb, but will not make he kind of profits that Disney was expecting  either. Does'nt look like it will be a franchise starter.

Looks like one Disney probably spent too much money on. I suspect they could have brought it in for a lot less. I have to wonder if Disney is in the habit of overspening on movies..not a good habit for any studio to get in.

15 hours ago, dudalb said:

With a 100 Million budget, looks as if this won't bomb, but will not make he kind of profits that Disney was expecting  either. Does'nt look like it will be a franchise starter.

Looks like one Disney probably spent too much money on. I suspect they could have brought it in for a lot less. I have to wonder if Disney is in the habit of overspening on movies..not a good habit for any studio to get in.

What numbers were Disney expecting? 

Liked this a lot more than I thought I would.  In fact liked it enough I might see it again.  Emma and Emma are great.

As a prequel to a classic I think they did a great job of being a Cruella origin story without pissing off fans of the original... an issue  maleficent had.

I enjoyed the tiebacks to the classic characters/events although I know some people think stuff like that is hokey.

@dudalb ... it's ridiculous to try to judge box office these days to pre-pandemic movies.  Disney will be happen to break even in theaters which they should and the gravy is in the D+ premium and new subscribers.

Went to see this last night. 

After a rough first half hour, I surprisingly really enjoyed it. Emma Thompson easily stole the show for me. The costume design was incredible all round. 

Spoiler

The Disney trope of dead parents really needs to stop though, it’s eye-roll worthy at this point and it honestly takes me out of the films now because they do it so, so frequently. It’s really lazy. 

• Like 1

https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/top-ten/

Cruella is estimated to have been watched for 280M minutes according to Nielsen on its opening weekend. Assuming everybody who watched it only saw the movie once (obviously too good to be true, but I doubt it saw that many rewatches on its first three days), roughly 2.09M subscribers buying the film in the US, which amounts to...$62.7M in revenue.

By comparison, Mulan saw 525M views for its opening weekend (~4.56M purchases, $137.9M revenue), and Raya saw 355M views (~3.32M purchases, $99.5M revenue). Again, this is very grain of salt stuff here, as it assumes only one view per account, and should not be taken as exact numbers. Please don't yell at me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mulan was also much more of a curiosity and a novelty than either Raya or this were when it bowed last September (how often do $200M blockbusters end up bypassing theaters completely and premiere in your own home?) so it's no surprise that PA is looking to be a case of diminishing returns as the market continues to recover.

22 hours ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/top-ten/

Cruella is estimated to have been watched for 280M minutes according to Nielsen on its opening weekend. Assuming everybody who watched it only saw the movie once (obviously too good to be true, but I doubt it saw that many rewatches on its first three days), roughly 2.09M subscribers buying the film in the US, which amounts to...$62.7M in revenue.

By comparison, Mulan saw 525M views for its opening weekend (~4.56M purchases, $137.9M revenue), and Raya saw 355M views (~3.32M purchases, $99.5M revenue). Again, this is very grain of salt stuff here, as it assumes only one view per account, and should not be taken as exact numbers. Please don't yell at me.

If this is accurate or even if halfed, then Mulan did exceptional in its opening weekend in PA. Wow...

And this is only in the US..

I think Mulan as a PA experiment must be somewhat successful or else Raya, Cruella and even Black Widow and Jungle Cruise would not have gone the same route (albeit with simultaneous theatrical release). 

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1