Fancyarcher

Cruella | Disney | May 28 2021 | Disney+ premiere access hybrid release

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Emma and possibly Nicole? Damn, Disney ain't fuckin' around when it comes to bringing in big names these days.

It'd be cool if they brought back Glenn Close as a nod to her portrayal of Cruella in the 1996 film.

I'm not sure if Cruella being an anti-hero works or not.

Looking at the Christmas 2020 schedule now this actually feels like the safest bet of the season right now. I could see this pulling numbers similar to Maleficent (which also had the hook of seeing a big name Oscar-winning actress as an iconic Disney villain) if the marketing is at least solid.

Edited by filmlover

Just now, filmlover said:

Looking at the Christmas 2020 schedule now this actually feels like the safest bet of the season right now. I could see this pulling numbers similar to Maleficent (which also had the hook of seeing a big name Oscar-winning actress as an iconic Disney villain) if the marketing is at least solid.

WB is 10000% moving something there. Whether it's Dune or Suicide Squad 2 remains to be seen, but if it's the latter then that should win the season easy.

1 minute ago, TMP said:

WB is 10000% moving something there. Whether it's Dune or Suicide Squad 2 remains to be seen, but if it's the latter then that should win the season easy.

I'm pretty sure Suicide Squad is much closer to filming than Batman is and that's supposed to open before it so if they think it'll be ready in time I imagine it will move up instead of waiting until August 2021.

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:59 AM, filmlover said:

I think they need to keep Cruella nasty, and not try to make her some sympathic character, She is the classic "villain you love to hate" and Disney needs to keep her that way.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:46 PM, Jonwo said:

It'd be cool if they brought back Glenn Close as a nod to her portrayal of Cruella in the 1996 film.

I'm not sure if Cruella being an anti-hero works or not.

Agreed. Curella is a villain you love to hate, and trying to make her an anti hero won't work very well.

Not that I disagree at all, but who would the antagonist be then?

This is the same problem that Sony's Spidey villain movies are going to face. Okay, Venom worked, but how long can people suspend their disbelief that their favourite villains aren't the baddest guys in the movie?

Just now, JB33 said:

Not that I disagree at all, but who would the antagonist be then?

This is the same problem that Sony's Spidey villain movies are going to face. Okay, Venom worked, but how long can people suspend their disbelief that their favourite villains aren't the baddest guys in the movie?

Venom fought another Venom.

Cruella will fight another Cruella.

If Disney asked me to make a Cruella movie, I think the best way to do it would be a cautionary tale/character study that sees her slowly dive into madness as she becomes obsessed with being on top in the cutthroat fashion industry and become more and more obsessed with vanity and capitalism.

But of course, that's probably not as commercial as Disney would like. :lol: But hey, maybe they've got something up their sleeves.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

If Disney asked me to make a Cruella movie, I think the best way to do it would be a cautionary tale/character study that sees her slowly dive into madness as she becomes obsessed with being on top in the cutthroat fashion industry and become more and more obsessed with vanity and capitalism.

But of course, that's probably not as commercial as Disney would like. :lol: But hey, maybe they've got something up their sleeves.

That actually....makes sense. Would the concept be a little mature for kids though? 

10 minutes ago, JB33 said:

That actually....makes sense. Would the concept be a little mature for kids though? 

That's the problem though. My idea would work if this was an adult drama. But for a family movie based on one of the most famous animated movies of all time? Probably not. It's kind of this movie's big conundrum. With all the other Disney remakes, they all have something that appeals to kids. Even the Glenn Close movie has the doggos. I don't really see what makes this interesting to the family audience.