kayumanggi

FINDING DORY | 542.3 M overseas ● 1028.6 M worldwide

This film struggling to make a billion is not that surprising. It always felt like a cynical cash grab, an unnecessary sequel. Pets is also in the market. Disney must sick of Illumination always trolling them. They better stay away from them when giving their films release dates.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hades said:

This film struggling to make a billion is not that surprising. It always felt like a cynical cash grab, an unnecessary sequel. Pets is also in the market. Disney must sick of Illumination always trolling them. They better stay away from them when giving their films release dates.

And the clash Moana/Sing is already sickening me :( Illumination has horrible release dates..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

And the clash Moana/Sing is already sickening me :( Illumination has horrible release dates..

frozen was lucky back in 2013, walking with dinosaur was bombed badly.....so that allow frozen is dominating christmas and new year season....moana won't have that luck

I don't think Illumination is trying to hurt Disney, they're just trying to maximize their own profits. There are only a few good release windows in the year, so they can't avoid Disney releases entirely unless they were to release their films at a time when families are a lot less likely to go to theatres.

• Like 1

It IS going past 1billion.

I looked at the numbers and 65 million is a pretty safe bet in markets opening this weekend and yet to open.  Good holds in the UK, Japan, other holdover markets, and

a decent boom from its expansion into 2nd run theaters could actually make a run at Zootopia, which made it over a billion solely because of its massive China gross.

Illuminations isn't trolling Disney, but they have been fortunate with Minions and Pets.

Particularly Pets, which had 1 family film bomb after another giving Pets a competition free run for months.  They will eventually have to face some competition with their releases, no mater how good they are at choosing release dates. 

Edited by Planodisney
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Hades said:

Three weeks is enough time. Disney has its teritory in mid June and Universal has its territory in early July. I think they both win from that arrangement.

On 28/8/2016 at 0:09 AM, cannastop said:

Three weeks is enough time. Disney has its teritory in mid June and Universal has its territory in early July. I think they both win from that arrangement.

I don't know, I've always considered the 2nd weekend of July a better spot. To a mid-June release ID4 doesn't give any sort of boost (usually a little more on weekdays and a little less on weekends) and its momentum will be completely lost after 3 weeks, meaning its mid-late legs will be cut in half. Opening on the weekend after ID4 means great weekdays, moderate direct competition, strong legs in the dead zone of August and a considerable labor day boost. If Pets and Dory had switched places, the latter wouldn't have had many troubles passing the 500M mark as it would have been THE animated film to watch for the entire summer. Monsters University completely collapsed when DM2 opened, Dory experienced a similar fate and Cars 3 will most certainly follow no matter how good or bad it will be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omni said:

I don't know, I've always considered the 2nd weekend of July a better spot. To a mid-June release ID4 doesn't give any sort of boost (usually a little more on weekdays and a little less on weekends) and its momentum will be completely lost after 3 weeks, meaning its mid-late legs will be cut in half. Opening on the weekend after ID4 means great weekdays, moderate direct competition, strong legs in the dead zone of August and a considerable labor day boost. If Pets and Dory had switched places, the latter wouldn't have had many troubles passing the 500M mark as it would have been THE animated film to watch for the entire summer. Monsters University completely collapsed when DM2 opened, Dory experienced a similar fate and Cars 3 will most certainly follow no matter how good or bad it will be.

Yeah, Dory was chugging along to well over 500M+ but once SLOP came it's legs got chopped off.