kayumanggi

FINDING DORY | 542.3 M overseas ● 1028.6 M worldwide

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Americans hate to do like everybody else, that's why they still use miles and gallons instead of meters and litters :P

Hehe, I don't think it's hatred of conformity so much as general obliviousness.

Our approach to foreign culture(s) is all too often "don't know, don't care."  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jiffy said:

Hehe, I don't think it's hatred of conformity so much as general obliviousness.

Our approach to foreign culture(s) is all too often "don't know, don't care."  

Yes, probably.That's weird given the US culture is mainly the result of a mix of foreign cultures and never cease to change along its incredibly diverse population.

Anybody have a good estimate on what Dory has left OS in current markets.  I have 60 million left in yet to open plus 4 million domestic.

A decent OS estimate on what it has left in existing markets should give is a pretty good guess on its WW finish.

Looks like it's going to be VERY close with that Zootopia WW finish.

8 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

Anybody have a good estimate on what Dory has left OS in current markets.  I have 60 million left in yet to open plus 4 million domestic.

A decent OS estimate on what it has left in existing markets should give is a pretty good guess on its WW finish.

I don't see it passing Zootopia, $1B would be fantastic already.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2016 at 0:32 PM, Planodisney said:

$309M from OS markets opening before July 14.

$7M Hong Kong

$25M Mexico

$68M Japan

$56M UK

$485M US + Canada

=$950M

Norway/Sweden/Finland/Denmark/Greece/Turkey - $15M, possibly a bit more 

~$965M from all current markets

Remaining markets: Italy/Germany/Austria. Only $35M required to hit $1B. $60M from those markets (seems reasonable to me) would have Dory just squeak past Zootopia with $1,025M.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Jason said:

$309M from OS markets opening before July 14.

$7M Hong Kong

$25M Mexico

$68M Japan

$56M UK

$485M US + Canada

=$950M

Norway/Sweden/Finland/Denmark/Greece/Turkey - $15M, possibly a bit more 

~$965M from all current markets

Remaining markets: Italy/Germany/Austria. Only $35M required to hit $1B. $60M from those markets (seems reasonable to me) would have Dory just squeak past Zootopia with $1,025M.

NOR SWe etc yeah probably 20m, remaining 60 seem reasonable

• Like 5

On August 22, 2016 at 0:12 AM, Fullbuster said:

It's not an animated movie ^^

The Jungle Book has tons of animation, but you're right in the sense that it's meant to appear as a live-action movie, as much as possible, and is not overtly caricatured.

On August 22, 2016 at 5:12 AM, titanic2187 said:

I think Pixar's movie doesn't fare well in china because of cultural factor, the pixar formula never work in china, and not only china, several asian country also display the same condition, just china is too big and hence, get attention

Pixar's movies tend to be more particularly or even specifically American (including Canada) on the average than, say, WDAS movies for comparison.  In western countries that share many values and cultural elements with America (especially the UK and Australia), they can get away with that fairly well, but in Asia it's kind of iffy and more variable.  For instance, I don't think that most Asian people found the subject matter of Inside Out very interesting or compelling--for them it's kind of weird and questionable to be concerned about stuff like that.  Now, Japan is usually an exception for various reasons (some cultural), which is why Pixar movies have generally fared well there, but even they didn't go for Inside Out all that much.

On August 22, 2016 at 7:23 AM, titanic2187 said:

there are still different of style between pixar and WDAS, you've need to search that feeling, feel it, WDAS have frozen, big hero 6 and zootopia keep performing above pixar, meaning that two studio still differentiating themselves in the way many people not having notice it.....

Without getting too deep into this, to me Pixar and WDAS subjectively have noticeably different styles, despite sharing virtually the exact same market as well as many goals in their filmmaking--from their humor to the way they actually tell their stories, they are quite distinct in my perception.  And they have always been this way, despite John Lasseter having come out of WDAS to found Pixar (as an animation studio) and then returning to manage both studios.  Lasseter himself agrees, albeit I wouldn't put it the way that he does, which is that Pixar is about "What if?" while WDAS is about "Once upon a time"--it's succinct but too vague and inconsistent to have any real meaning.

There is too much to cover here, but as an example for illustration, let's look at how they generally approach the subject of childhood.  Pixar usually take a nostalgic perspective on childhood, and frequently (and usually overly obviously) try to tug at our heartstrings even more by portraying the end of childhood as we transition to adulthood--there is a sense of loss combined with nostalgia that gets to many people, which seems to be the intention.  On the other hand, WDAS, despite so many of their movies actually taking place during this transition to adulthood for their protagonists, draw no such boundary.  The characters learn some hard lessons and grow and mature as people, but fundamentally on the inside they're the same child who has the same dreams, only now they're better equipped to realize their dreams--to paraphrase one WDAS character, they're the same guy but with power!  Growing up is not nostalgic and sad in WDAS' view, it's awesome because you can take your dreams with you and with determination, hard work, and the pervasive outlook of your inner child, now you can make them come true, just like Walt Disney himself.  Although this is not absolute (what is?), I think it's one difference that informs these studios' respective approaches to storytelling.

On August 22, 2016 at 10:02 PM, Jiffy said:

What do you see as being the key difference that has allowed the Pixar formula to enjoy great success in Japan?

I'm not sure precisely.  For that matter, beyond movies, what makes Japan like Disney so much, including their parks, which were embraced warmly by Japan long before WDAS' animated features really caught on?

In a country famed for its animation industry, Pixar had been the reigning studio for animated imports for years.

And now WDAS have been riding a pretty fantastic hot streak there.  I'm just guessing, but I think that part of the reason is that reputation seems to be rather important in Japan, and these two foreign studios have made real names for themselves.  Then you have their general love for Disney, into which Pixar, while still distinct from WDAS, can be lumped.

On August 27, 2016 at 8:20 AM, Hades said:

Disney must sick of Illumination always trolling them.

Heh, I think it must be pretty frustrating for Disney that Illumination (part of Universal) can match Pixar and WDAS at the box office at every step so effortlessly.  And by the latter, frankly I mean without even trying hard to make good movies.  The movie-going public would never be so forgiving of Disney for releasing an animated feature that didn't meet their usual high standards--these studios have to spend well in excess of $100M for each movie and wrack their brains and guts out to make the best movies they possibly can just to have a chance to turn a profit (counting only the box office), while Illumination can flourish while doing so much less (from what I can see).

On September 5, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Fullbuster said:

Americans hate to do like everybody else, that's why they still use miles and gallons instead of meters and litters :P

While there is some truth in this in the sense that Americans don't strive to be like everyone else, at the same time I don't think we're deliberately trying to be different in this respect.  It's just that for mundane, utilitarian things like this, people generally tend to stick with what they know and are accustomed to (as long as it works), and only change when they have to.  Countries with less clout are strongly compelled to conform to newer international standards, while an "800-lb gorilla" (that would be about 362.874/362,874 kg) like the US doesn't have to. :lol:  People in general are stubborn by default, and in this case Americans specifically can afford to be stubborn--we won't change because you can't make us. :P;)  Meanwhile, a minority of countries still insist on driving on the left side of the road.  Why don't they drive on the right side like everyone else (including the US)?

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

$950M WW baby!

FINDING DORY has scored $950M worldwide--$483M domestic, $467M int'l--with Italt and Germany still on the docket.

25 minutes ago, Olive said:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $483,584,077    50.9%
Foreign:  $467,000,000    49.1%

Worldwide:  $950,584,077  

YYYEEESSS!!! :D

It passed $950m before the release in Italy, Germany and Austria : that's a good omen :)

• Like 2

Deadline

It’s hard to believe that this picture is still playing after being released in June, but it is and it has navigated in with another $3.3M for its distributor Disney. Its international cume is a staggeringn $467M for a worldwide total of $950.6M. And there are two big markets upcoming for this animated family favorite —  Italy next weekend and Germany on Sept. 29th.

Finding Dory now sits as the No. 10 all-time industry release in Australia where it has chalked up $36.1M there. In terms of top territories, Australia ranks No. four outside of North America. Leading the school is Japan with $65M, followed by the U.K. with $53.3M and China with $38.4M. Rounding out the top five is Brazil with $34.5M.