kayumanggi

FINDING DORY | 542.3 M overseas ● 1028.6 M worldwide

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well, a lot of those movies were made when passing $1 billion was a rare occurrence.

I don't think you can blame China, considering that Toy Story 3Frozen and Minions got past that mark without China.

The movies you've mentioned, 2 of them were sequel/prequel, I'm referring it to original film~

It's quite depressing that China is still its biggest market, since it's actually considered a disappointment there. Pets just broke animated records in Argentina and opened big in other LA countries. Dory's run is being overshadowed here and there by other high-achievers, which makes Dory look so underwhelming. The only hopes left are Germany and the UK, which can generate monster-size grosses when people want to ($100M+). It is of course unlikely to happen with Dory but we can only hope.

5 minutes ago, Quigley said:

It's quite depressing that China is still its biggest market, since it's actually considered a disappointment there. Pets just broke animated records in Argentina and opened big in other LA countries. Dory's run is being overshadowed here and there by other high-achievers, which makes Dory look so underwhelming. The only hopes left are Germany and the UK, which can generate monster-size grosses when people want to ($100M+). It is of course unlikely to happen with Dory but we can only hope.

I agree. Sad...

3 minutes ago, Quigley said:

I thought someone said that Argentina is in winter vacations..that could explain the big opening there and Chile  

3 minutes ago, PanaMovie said:

I thought someone said that Argentina is in winter vacations..that could explain the big opening there and Chile  

That's beyond the point. The point is that, for whatever reason, Dory is being oversahdowed, and it is unlikely to get much further than $1B. Even crossing Zootopia could be difficult, let alone Toy Story 3 (Is there even a 1% chance of reaching Minions? – I think that ship has sailed)

2 minutes ago, Quigley said:

That's beyond the point. The point is that, for whatever reason, Dory is being oversahdowed, and it is unlikely to get much further than $1B. Even crossing Zootopia could be difficult, let alone Toy Story 3 (Is there even a 1% chance of reaching Minions? – I think that ship has sailed)

Dory is also partly hampered by exchange rates. In Brazil it would be around $45m with 2011's exchange rate.

59 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Are you including the re-release?

Well, Nemo did 865m during its first run, 339 of those in US. The first run already adjusts to 487, what means 148m more just from US because of inflation (+44%). It would already be at 1.013b. I find difficult that even with ER drop (which relative to 2003 is not so heavy) the 525m OS that the film did during the first run would not be today 87m bigger because of inflation (+16%) to reach the 1.1b figure. And without 3D. And then you can include the re-release. I have not exact data, but I think Nemo (adding re-release) adjusts to well over 1.1b, probably even over 1.2b.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Several movies reached $1B without China or with weak Chinese numbers so probably not.

Pixar is too weak or not well-known in several markets in Asia, Eastern Europe and Latin America. But it's slowly changing, notably in South Korea and Brazil.

The reason of this fact is that Disney don't want to waste money in p&a in countries where can't sell toys and merchandising. This happens with almost all their brands including Star Wars and The Avengers. According to many experts (I work in Toys/Entertainment area) the "really ubiquitous" brands among cinematic properties are only Minions and Frozen. 

• Like 1

Guys, Dory is still on track for 1 billion. I added all the territories so far minus Japan, Hong Kong, and Mexico. The territories added up together made 280.7 so far with about 20 million left in the tank, making 300.7. In Japan, it seems it'll make 60-65 million. In Hong Kong, it'll make either 6-7 million. In Mexico, it'll make 29-31 million. Making a range of 397 to 405 million. For the rest of its territories, U.K. seems like it could make 60-65 million with a chance of 70 million. Based on Toy Story 3 and Monsters University, Germany and Italy, I see about 35-40 million combined. If it follows Inside Out, the other markets left will make about 21 million. And in America, it'll finish between $488-500 million. At the low end it'll make 513 overseas, on the high end it'll make 535 million overseas. 

The total would be anywhere between 1.002 billion to 1.035 billion. I think it'll make about 1.005 billion.

It will make a billion but barely.

Edit 1: If you ask me the bad euro exchange rates and China and Japan underperforming screwed it over, and if weren't for that it could've beaten Frozen box office wise.

Edit 2: If Germany and Italy overperform like Inside Out numbers, it could beat Toy Story 3, but that's about it.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 3