kayumanggi

FINDING DORY | 542.3 M overseas ● 1028.6 M worldwide

2 hours ago, ttr said:

One reason is that TJB made $100 million and Zootopia over $200 million more in China. And Dory has not yet opened in every market. Reckon there are other reasons, but I think China is the most important.

Zoo sits close to 682 million.

TJB has 592 million and a little bit more from Japan.

Dory now is at 437 million, and even with remaining territories, even TJB will be untouchable.

China numbers per mojo:

Zoo 235.6 million

TJB 150.1 million

Dory 38 million

So yes, China is a major force here.

• Like 2

Pixar’s Poor Performance in China

Film (Year) Gross (RMB) Gross (USD)
Toy Story (1996) 31.8M $3.8M
Finding Nemo (2003) 35.5M $4.3M
Cars (2006) 21.5M $2.7M
Ratatouille (2008) 1.04M $142K
Up (2009) 95.3M $13.9M
Toy Story 3 (2010) 117.6M $17.7M
Cars 2 (2011) 78.5M $12.2M
Brave (2012) 28.5M $4.5M
Monsters University (2013) 209.7M $33.9M
Inside Out (2015) 97.2M $16.1M

Why ....???

Edited by newbie BO buff
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, newbie BO buff said:

Pixar’s Poor Performance in China

Film (Year) Gross (RMB) Gross (USD)
Toy Story (1996) 31.8M $3.8M
Finding Nemo (2003) 35.5M $4.3M
Cars (2006) 21.5M $2.7M
Ratatouille (2008) 1.04M $142K
Up (2009) 95.3M $13.9M
Toy Story 3 (2010) 117.6M $17.7M
Cars 2 (2011) 78.5M $12.2M
Brave (2012) 28.5M $4.5M
Monsters University (2013) 209.7M $33.9M
Inside Out (2015) 97.2M $16.1M

Why ....???

Toy Story 4 will break down his terrible cycle. :P

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I think Pixar's movie doesn't fare well in china because of cultural factor, the pixar formula never work in china, and not only china, several asian country also display the same condition, just china is too big and hence, get attention

I'm not sure about that. How is Pixar's formula different from WDAS' formula. I think that if Zootopia can explode in China, so can something from Pixar.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I'm not sure about that. How is Pixar's formula different from WDAS' formula. I think that if Zootopia can explode in China, so can something from Pixar.

there are still different of style between pixar and WDAS, you've need to search that feeling, feel it, WDAS have frozen, big hero 6 and zootopia keep performing above pixar, meaning that two studio still differentiating themselves in the way many people not having notice it.....

16 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I think Pixar's movie doesn't fare well in china because of cultural factor, the pixar formula never work in china, and not only china, several asian country also display the same condition, just china is too big and hence, get attention

What do you see as being the key difference that has allowed the Pixar formula to enjoy great success in Japan?

In a country famed for its animation industry, Pixar had been the reigning studio for animated imports for years.

WDAS is clearly distinct from Pixar, and Pixar hasn't been fantastic this decade given only Toy Story 3 and Inside Out were great and worthy of their movies from the 2000s.

I understand why WDAS is doing better, and I liked it even more than Pixar. Illumination is another story though, qualitatively their movies are far behind..

8 hours ago, Jiffy said:

What do you see as being the key difference that has allowed the Pixar formula to enjoy great success in Japan?

In a country famed for its animation industry, Pixar had been the reigning studio for animated imports for years.

well, I never consider Japan as one of the asian country, Japan rarely considered as Asian country if in economics term......but of course they are geographically asia~

On 8/23/2016 at 0:52 PM, Fullbuster said:

WDAS is clearly distinct from Pixar, and Pixar hasn't been fantastic this decade given only Toy Story 3 and Inside Out were great and worthy of their movies from the 2000s.

I understand why WDAS is doing better, and I liked it even more than Pixar. Illumination is another story though, qualitatively their movies are far behind..

I personally thought WALL-E should have won Oscar for Best Picture (animated or not).

• Like 1