kayumanggi

FINDING DORY | 542.3 M overseas ● 1028.6 M worldwide

10 hours ago, James said:

It still won't match Nemo OS so I wasn't wrongemoji13.png

You weren't wrong about that, but you said:

On 6/26/2016 at 9:19 AM, James said:

Lol, this is has 0% chance of matching Nemo OS. It should be content with 450-480m max. Also,  1B WW is not happening.

$480M max OS--wrong.  And $1B WW is not happening--also wrong.  That's OK, we all get things wrong--just stop claiming that you weren't in this case.  Personally, I thought it would make more than it did (less DOM but much more OS), but I was wrong.  See how easy that is?

• Like 5

On 10/11/2016 at 10:32 PM, Quigley said:

He was wrong. Nemo's inital run was $528M, a number Dory will surpass

Why would we only count the original run. In a world were Minions makes makes 823m OS, the fact that Dory, Pixar's greatest, can't even get to 550m is pretty pathetic.

15 minutes ago, James said:

Why would we only count the original run. In a world were Minions makes makes 823m OS, the fact that Dory, Pixar's greatest, can't even get to 550m is pretty pathetic.

Nah, it's par for the course. This is the same world where Ice Age 3 and Ice Age 4 made more OS than Toy Story 3.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, James said:

I agree it is pretty pathetic. I never said anything that contradicts that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James said:

Why would we only count the original run.

So we'd be comparing an apple to an apple instead of an apple to two apples.

4 hours ago, James said:

In a world were Minions makes makes 823m OS, the fact that Dory, Pixar's greatest, can't even get to 550m is pretty pathetic.

On whose part, the movie's or the audience's? :)

• Like 2

Sorry, but over 500 OS for an animated film is NEVER pathetic.  Particularly if there isn't a huge breakout in Japan or China.

Thats just a dumb statement!!!

I want all good animated films to do well, no matter the studio.  

Hating on Pixar or Illuminations or Dreamworks or whatever says a lot more about the person making the comment than the film or studio.

Such shallow immaturity!!!

Edited by Planodisney

38 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

Hating on Pixar or Illuminations or Dreamworks or whatever says a lot more about the person making the comment than the film or studio.

You're so quick to assign ill-conceived intentions to people on this forum. Check my previous posts and share any evidence that suggests I hate Pixar. I would say every single thing about me on this forum (including my profile picture) suggests I am a Pixar fanatic. Dory was not a catastrophe or a commercial failure but that doesn't mean I can't have the subjective opinion that its run was pathetic. Especially when I support it with evidence. Overseas, even when taking ER into account, it grossed much less than Minions. When removing China from the picture, it grossed slightly more than Zootopia and Pets and will have grossed slightly more than Inside Out by the end of its run (all original films with no built-in brand recognition). It's hard to compare with older animated films because of ER (Toy Story 3, Frozen, Shrek series, Ice Age series, Madagascar 3, Panda 2) but that's not the point anyway. In my mind, Dory should have become the biggest animated film ever and instead it barely got past $1B and around the world it broke very few records in local currency. Its North American run was probably the best thing it had to brag about and even that didn't reach $500M and admission-wise I don't even wanna think about it.

Edited by Quigley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Planodisney said:

This edit could trigger a thread derailment, just saying. :hijacked:

4 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

There is nothing pathetic, Dory had a great run that was fascinating to follow, even if it was frustrating sometimes.

It certainly was kind of frustrating, going from my original prediction of 1.2B to 1.15B to at least 1.1B, to maybe over Zootopia, to at the very very least over 1B. But it is over 1B, and I'm pretty happy that it didn't flop like 70% of the blockbuster sequels this year. I like Pixar, but over the years my faith toward Pixar was never dictated by box office anyway, Ratatouille, Wall-e and up did good but never record breaking, the fact that Pixar now has some box office power is already bonus to me.:lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

It certainly was kind of frustrating, going from my original prediction of 1.2B to 1.15B to at least 1.1B, to maybe over Zootopia, to at the very very least over 1B. But it is over 1B, and I'm pretty happy that it didn't flop like 70% of the blockbuster sequels this year. I like Pixar, but over the years my faith toward Pixar was never dictated by box office anyway, Ratatouille, Wall-e and up did good but never record breaking, the fact that Pixar now has some box office power is already bonus to me.:lol:

To be honest my feelings about Pixar changed. In the 2000s they were crushing everything else, I'd love them so much, but in the 2010s they have been replaced by WDAS that is very similar to the Pixar from then but with their own style.

Pixar can still be godly, Toy Story 3 and Inside Out were so excellent and moving, but they lost themselves with all these sequels nobody asked for that are just "good". Toy Story 4 and The Incredibles 2 are the only sequels that are really anticipated, after that they must go back to new and original franchises.

Still Dory was a good movie and deserves its success ;)

• Like 3

Quigley I wasn't pointing at you.

Also, I agree that Pixar lately has not matched its earlier success.

But that is just unrealistic to think it could continue churning out a masterpiece with every release.  No great artist, author, poet or anybody at anything has ever done that.  If they can continue to produce above average animation and 

come up with a TS3 and Inside Out 

every couple of years, then that is still very strong.  

• Like 3

Overseas, Dory surpassed Maleficent and will surpass the initial run of Finding Nemo, as well as Madagascar 3, by the end of next weekend.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/miss-peregrine-shoots-past-100m-international-tally/5110412.article?blocktitle=LATEST-INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40071

I guess, ideally, it would be great if it surpassed Nemo (incl. 3D re-release) at $559.5M, but other milestones before that include BvS ($542.6M) and The Lion King (incl. 3D re-release), at $545.7M.

• Like 1