kayumanggi

FINDING DORY | 542.3 M overseas ● 1028.6 M worldwide

8 hours ago, seduh said:

Sorry but u can´t exclude a country to analize, get over it, Zootopia was a bigger hit overseas than Dory. It destroy the animated movie record and it had a lower OD than Finding Dory. 

I was not excluding it. I just was trying to give a reason why Dory has not been able to match JB and Zootopia OS figures. It is obvious that Zootopia was a monster in China and much more higher than Dory. But another debate is if Dory even had grossed $150m in China it would have been considered a success or still a disappointment. But it is unquestionable that in terms of real dollars, independently of subjective considerations, China has been essential to set the difference between Dory, Zootopia and JB.

After this we can debate what should have grossed Dory to be considered a success OS, 700? 750? 800? Hard to say.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Omni said:

That's not the point. The point is that OS-China Dory beat Zootopia by just 10%. That alone is a failure. Amd what if Dory had grossed 100M more in China? It would have made like 640M OS, still below pretty much every prediction on this site.

That shows how much in modern society you have to ride a phenomenon without awaiting. And probably points at a sub-1.2M WW gross for Frozen 2.

I agree that Dory OS gross is disappointing. That is undeniable.

But to analyze how a OS figure has been done is necessary to see the different markets. It is not the same to make a third of the OS gross in one single market like Frozen or Zootopia than to have a more shared grossed like Minions or Pets. In that sense and for hypothetical sequels, the Illumination films are more likely to increase than the Disney films.

As you well say, Pixar has waited a lot to deliver the Nemo sequel. And since Nemo grossed most of its money in Europe and Japan, and considering that those are not expanding markets, I see normal this behaviour (I say this now. Before release, my Pixar fan side was thinking this could make much more money. I was obviously wrong). I would say that the same pattern can be applied to Hobbit, for instance.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Useless debate, Dory has passed $1B. As such it will never be seen as a disappointment in the long run :)  History will only remember this : $1B WW

I do not think it is useless. You can just take the billion data as a huge success. And in fact to reach 1 billion for any movie is very big. That for sure. But I see it a quite superficial conclusion.

We are here because we love films, for sure. And many of us tend to celebrate figures of those films we love. But we are here because we love the box office analysis too (at least, that is my case). And to analize the OS figures is complex enough to say that it is not the same the Dory's billion than the Zootopia's one (even although for the studios mean the same money). We tend to just split DOM and OS as if OS total can be considered as a whole market, and that is not correct. It is not the same to reach 1 billion with a 50/50 DOM/OS ratio than with a 30/70. And it is not the same to be the biggest animated film ever in China or to have a forgettable run.

Said this, I am not trying to over/underestimate what Dory, Zootopia or whatever film had done. Just to understand why these numbers have happened and what can mean for future similar films.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, peludo said:

I do not think it is useless. You can just take the billion data as a huge success. And in fact to reach 1 billion for any movie is very big. That for sure. But I see it a quite superficial conclusion.

We are here because we love films, for sure. And many of us tend to celebrate figures of those films we love. But we are here because we love the box office analysis too (at least, that is my case). And to analize the OS figures is complex enough to say that it is not the same the Dory's billion than the Zootopia's one (even although for the studios mean the same money). We tend to just split DOM and OS as if OS total can be considered as a whole market, and that is not correct. It is not the same to reach 1 billion with a 50/50 DOM/OS ratio than with a 30/70. And it is not the same to be the biggest animated film ever in China or to have a forgettable run.

Said this, I am not trying to over/underestimate what Dory, Zootopia or whatever film had done. Just to understand why these numbers have happened and what can mean for future similar films.

Sure, you're totally right :) And thank you for your addition on this thread :)

6 hours ago, peludo said:

I agree that Dory OS gross is disappointing. That is undeniable.

But to analyze how a OS figure has been done is necessary to see the different markets. It is not the same to make a third of the OS gross in one single market like Frozen or Zootopia than to have a more shared grossed like Minions or Pets. In that sense and for hypothetical sequels, the Illumination films are more likely to increase than the Disney films.

As you well say, Pixar has waited a lot to deliver the Nemo sequel. And since Nemo grossed most of its money in Europe and Japan, and considering that those are not expanding markets, I see normal this behaviour (I say this now. Before release, my Pixar fan side was thinking this could make much more money. I was obviously wrong). I would say that the same pattern can be applied to Hobbit, for instance.

I think it's not even that they made a lot of money in a single market (any market) per se. We're talking specifically about China because it is a growing market. Most other markets (and especially the ones that are really big, like Japan) have not grown significantly in the past decade so you can look at the total overseas gross minus China and make a fair comparison across years (ER also being a factor). China is also probably a country where the performance of a movie correlates the least with performance in other countries, whereas everywhere else, the general trend is that the better a movie does in one country, the more likely it is to do well in others. So I think China is a unique case where it makes the most sense to take it out of the picture for certain types of analyses.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Quigley said:

I think it's not even that they made a lot of money in a single market (any market) per se. We're talking specifically about China because it is a growing market. Most other markets (and especially the ones that are really big, like Japan) have not grown significantly in the past decade so you can look at the total overseas gross minus China and make a fair comparison across years (ER also being a factor). China is also probably a country where the performance of a movie correlates the least with performance in other countries, whereas everywhere else, the general trend is that the better a movie does in one country, the more likely it is to do well in others. So I think China is a unique case where it makes the most sense to take it out of the picture for certain types of analyses.

Sure. In fact, I started that debate ;)

It is clear that China is a very special case. And for that reason, these forums have an specific section dedicated to that market. Even, we started some months ago to talk about DOM / China / OS-C when we talked about predictions. I agree with you in that sense.

For this reason and when you see Dory making barely $500m without China (when its run had finished) and you compare with Nemo, which did $530m (about $500m with ER, the same than Dory), 13 years ago, without 3D and without the expansion of Latin American and Asian markets (beyond China), you see that the result is disappointing. No matters how you look at it.

• Like 2

It's going to be a close one with Zootopia:

Screendaily: Pixar’s Finding Dory swum to $4m from its 14 territories for $532.2m to date overseas and $1.02bn worldwide. It fell only 28% in Germany to continue its strong run and reach $29.4m after 25 days in play.

Domestic:  $485,511,402    47.7%
Foreign:  $532,200,000    52.3%

Worldwide:  $1,017,711,402  
Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Olive said:

Only 3.4M away from Zootopia, will definitely pass that.

FD still has at least $10M in the tank.

32 minutes ago, Quigley said:

At this point it still looks poised to beat BvS OS

The power of slow rollouts. The topic has been beaten to death, but there is no way you can consider this a disappointment overseas.

14 hours ago, elcaballero said:

The power of slow rollouts. The topic has been beaten to death, but there is no way you can consider this a disappointment overseas.

If only Pixar would be bigger in China, nobody would've called it disappointing. Oh well.

Edited by miketheavenger

14 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

If only Pixar would be bigger in China, nobody would've called it disappointing. Oh well.

Yeah, Disney should do something about that. Pixar was not really big in Latin America but with Dory they did very well there so it helped.

Dory was also weak in Eastern Europe so there are investments to do there as well.

It's not that ITS BARELY 500 million without China.

Its that it will finish about 543 million with a pretty small gross in China.  Is it less that best case scenario, or optimal projections?  Yes.

But it is in no way disappointing.

Just an 85-90 million finish in China 

would have had it above 600 OS and nobody would be talking about disappointment.  

No movie is guaranteed over 540 million OS, particularly an animated movie.  It's a very strong number.

I believe #1 all time in NA and #10 all time OS if I'm not mistaken.

Except for someone just rooting for records, or a Pixar hater looking to criticize, there is no way anyone could realistically label Dory a disappointment.  

Edited by Planodisney

I was just scanning posts above and someone described it's OS run perfectly.

Obviously it's a huge success OS but it's run was a bit underwhelming.

Thats exactly it!!!

Underwhelming and disappointment are 2 different things.

In this case, only someone's expectations could lead to disappointment.   Hard to argue that at almost 

550 million, it's actual run or profit is disappointing.

Underwhelming?  I can see that.