kayumanggi

FINDING DORY | 542.3 M overseas ● 1028.6 M worldwide

59 minutes ago, Olive said:

It really annoys me that Pixar is the least successful big animation studio in China.

Perhaps the problem is all the sequels that Pixar is making. Lots of the originals weren't hits in China.

I'm sure that some random Pixar movie will make it big in China someday.

• Like 1

It's really a great start in the US and these foreign markets, apart from China but that could be worse.

2 hours ago, Olive said:

It really annoys me that Pixar is the least successful big animation studio in China.

You're not the only one believe me!

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Perhaps the problem is all the sequels that Pixar is making. Lots of the originals weren't hits in China.

I'm sure that some random Pixar movie will make it big in China someday.

That's not that simple. The truth is Pixar doesn't breakthrough in many emerging markets on several continents, and all of these have in common the fact they see movies as a real entertainment when you can turn your brain off, and Pixar movies are mostly brainy, with depth and a meaning...People in these markets don't see the movie industry as an art, just entertainment.

Ice Age, Shrek and Minions can be understood by everyone and generate less emotions, they're only a succession of funny things and unlikely events.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

That's not that simple. The truth is Pixar doesn't breakthrough in many emerging markets on several continents, and all of these have in common the fact they see movies as a real entertainment when you can turn your brain off, and Pixar movies are mostly brainy, with depth and a meaning...People in these markets don't see the movie industry as an art, just entertainment.

Ice Age, Shrek and Minions can be understood by everyone and generate less emotions, they're only a succession of funny things and unlikely events.

What about Zootopia's success in China? That's not a mindless movie.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's not a mindless movie at all. Still, I don't think they loved it thanks to its message on discrimination.

Call it the exception to the rule ^^"

Ps: and Zootopia wasn't big in Latin America..

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

Deadline: "CinemaScore projects that the Andrew Stanton-Angus MacLane movie can clear anywhere between $446M-$629M at the domestic box office alone. "

That's not a very precisely forecast :P

With the latter one OS would have to make only $371M for $1B...

Edited by Aristis
  • Like 1

Hehehe, yes, why not making it "between 300 and 700M" to cover all bases :P If it does $500M in the US, $1B WW sounds doable based on MU numbers.

Talking about MU, this was its Pixar record OW in Latin America (Mx and Br included): $31.7M. 843.416 tickets in Argentina and 531.759 in Colombia.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

it's not a mindless movie but it can be seen as one, it is far more accessible than something like Inside out.

3 hours ago, Olive said:

Football might kill it next in Spain and France...

Very probably. We will know it tomorrow night, but it is very probable that Spain will play on Saturday at 21 hours, local time. And on Sunday, we have General Elections (again).

Fortunately, Nemo and Dory are ADORED here, so in spite of not having a huge opening, it can have a great run. Let's remember that Finding Nemo sold 4,989,000 admissions, biggest Pixar film and 3rd animated ever just behind The Lion King (6.319 million) and Shrek 2 (6.079 million).

And in terms of gross, it grossed €23.81m. It ranks 5th among animated films, behind Shrek 2 (€28.2m), Toy Story 3 (€24.98m), Up (€24.92m) and Minions (€24.43m).

• Like 6

2 hours ago, peludo said:

Very probably. We will know it tomorrow night, but it is very probable that Spain will play on Saturday at 21 hours, local time. And on Sunday, we have General Elections (again).

Fortunately, Nemo and Dory are ADORED here, so in spite of not having a huge opening, it can have a great run. Let's remember that Finding Nemo sold 4,989,000 admissions, biggest Pixar film and 3rd animated ever just behind The Lion King (6.319 million) and Shrek 2 (6.079 million).

And in terms of gross, it grossed €23.81m. It ranks 5th among animated films, behind Shrek 2 (€28.2m), Toy Story 3 (€24.98m), Up (€24.92m) and Minions (€24.43m).

It's mainly a movie aiming at kids and the match will be at 9pm, you don't see many kids watching movies that late anyway so the impact could be limited.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

It's mainly a movie aiming at kids and the match will be at 9pm, you don't see many kids watching movies that late anyway so the impact could be limited.

That's true. But in Spain we live "later" than other countries. When I go to the cinema to see a film on Saturday night (about 10pm), it is not so unusual to see many children leaving the theater at that moment, even in Winter. And now in Summer, without school, even more. Tthe impact will not be so big as if the match had been at 18pm, but I think it will exist. And remember that kids go mainly to cinemas with adults and if those adults really want to see the match... end of story :)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, peludo said:

That's true. But in Spain we live "later" than other countries. When I go to the cinema to see a film on Saturday night (about 10pm), it is not so unusual to see many children leaving the theater at that moment, even in Winter. And now in Summer, without school, even more. Tthe impact will not be so big as if the match had been at 18pm, but I think it will exist. And remember that kids go mainly to cinemas with adults and if those adults really want to see the match... end of story :)

That makes sense :)

Still, I really don't care about soccer so I don't really understand the excitement :P