Avatree

BOT's Fifty Funniest Films - Countdown Complete.

Thanks everyone who sent a list in - after a meek initial response, a short delay provoked lots of you to write some rather great lists of your favourite comedies. Humour is arguably one of the most subjective, personal aspects of entertainment, so hopefully these top 50 should please lots of you - and annoy even more. I hope some of you revisited a few movies, and if not, then this is the perfect time to watch something new.

So, I present:

OUR FIFTY FUNNIEST FILMS

1eabc4f77ad8409da11549cd3cea93ff_p_400.p

Line on the left, one rank each.

Edited by Total Treecall
  • Like 1

97 POINTS

14de51206eca408919374362065553be.jpg

"I'm gonna give ya to the count of ten to get ya ugly, yella, no-good keista off my property, before I pump your guts full of lead!"

Released: 1990

Directed by Chris Columbus

Arguably the most successful family comedy of all time, Chris Columbus's first blockbuster HOME ALONE invades our list at #50. It's fun for all the family - well, except Kevin.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

98 POINTS

the-naked-gun-poster.jpg

"It's the same old story. Boy finds girl, boy loses girl, girl finds boy, boy forgets girl, boy remembers girl, girl dies in tragic blimp accident over the Orange Bowl on New Year's Day."

Released: 1988

Directed by David Zucker

The first film to shoot up our list from ZAZ - and, as you might imagine, not the last - is the frenetic THE NAKED GUN: FROM THE FILES OF POLICE SQUAD! at #49.

tumblr_m3rjgeGVv91rrgd02o1_500.gif

• Like 3

99 POINTS

3437945b517c64fd05db73110e992069.png

"That's the mother- that's the gentleman that had me busted!"

Released: 1982

Directed by: John Landis

Eddie Murphy, Dan Aykroyd, and John Landis? These three modern comedy icons are frequently considered masters of the genre, so it's no surprise to see the collaboration between them is so well liked; TRADING PLACES bet correctly, marking #48 on our list.

501-Trading-Places-quotes.gif

• Like 5

101 POINTS

large_akWDA0BMVYK4OTM92T5i91DYnsT.jpg

"You still look like an ass to me."

Released: 2004

Director: Andrew Adamson, Kelly Asbury & Conrad Vernon

The biggest computer-animated ticket seller ever released has almost enough pop culture references as it has made dollars - clearly enough to satisfy you lot, anyway. SHREK 2 isn't holding out for a hero, for it has engraved its own initial on our list at rank #47.

tumblr_mser035OY81rm41dgo1_400.gif

• Like 6

104 POINTS

it-happened-one-night-poster.jpg

"The limb is mightier than the thumb."

Released: 1934

Directed by Frank Capra

One of few comedies which have swept the Academy Awards, this prestigious movie from a legendary director is every bit as funny as it was when it was released almost a century ago. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT stops off at #46 on the list.

tumblr_mvesnioXBB1r45xwlo1_500.gif

• Like 2

106 POINTS

Ratatouille-poster-ratatouille-324474_12

"The work of a critic is easy..."

Released: 2007

Directed by Brad Bird

Let me just orgasm over Brad Bird.

There. That seems representative of this forum's views on Ratatouille.

More seriously - widely regarded as one of Pixar's best movies, the off the wall RATATOUILLE has stirred up enough laughs to earn its place at #45 on our list.

94b90698926b2452e64e707a9a68e656.gif

• Like 4

104 POINTS

it-happened-one-night-poster.jpg

"The limb is mightier than the thumb."

Released: 1934

Directed by Frank Capra

One of few comedies which have swept the Academy Awards, this prestigious movie from a legendary director is every bit as funny as it was when it was released almost a century ago. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT stops off at #46 on the list.

tumblr_mvesnioXBB1r45xwlo1_500.gif

Not just one of the few comedies, one of the few movies... period. Only ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST and SILENCE OF THE LAMBS have also done it, IIRC.

Not just one of the few comedies, one of the few movies... period. Only ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST and SILENCE OF THE LAMBS have also done it, IIRC.

well, yeah, just three in terms of winning the main 5 awards. But also in terms of general sweeps like TITANIC which won 11 awards. but yeah, it's damn impressive.

• Like 1

107 POINTS

scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-movie-poster-

"I have to go pee due to boredom."

Released: 2010

Directed by Edgar Wright

Edgar Wright's no stranger to cult movies, and this one's found quite the fan following over the past five years. SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD bob-ombs on to the list at #44.

tumblr_le4oa5O6kF1qao2el.gif

• Like 4

108 POINTS

tumblr_lqlbj3iMVB1qfdjvro1_1280.jpg

"Sarcasm is the refuge of losers."

Released: 2006

Directed by Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris

A dramedy with a strong cast and good reviews? Mark it down for our list. LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE parks up at #43.

giphy.gif

• Like 3