Fancyarcher

Isle of Dogs | Wes Anderson | April 20 2018

19 minutes ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

I sorta had the opposite reaction.  I think Gerwig's subplot should've been cut out but everything else kinda felt like there was something missing?  what it did was good enough to the point where I ended up really enjoying the film but it didn't enter "great" territory because I just felt it needed more to it.  plus I wanted more Goldblum dog goddamn it.

This was a problem too.

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i run hot and cold on him. really i think his last few movies have been alternating between great and shit pretty consistently so i'm hyped for the next one i guess?

Yeah he's been stuck in that cycle since Mr Fox. Moonrise Kingdom was trash, and although I'm not as down as you are on this one, it's definitely a step down from Fox and Budapest

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

This was a problem too.

Yeah he's been stuck in that cycle since Mr Fox. Moonrise Kingdom was trash, and although I'm not as down as you are on this one, it's definitely a step down from Fox and Budapest

dc72f3a2d682cebb83923bca1bf20962.gif

To me Anderson has been on a far superior filmmaking level than he once was ever since Fox. I look at movies like The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic and it's hard for me to believe those are what gained him such a passionate following, since the stuff since Fox has just been so much better. He's ironed out his quirk so that it stopped being something that was quirk purely for the sake of it and doesn't detract from the quality anymore/elicit the occasional eye roll.

Glad this will do well enough for him to hopefully get to make another stop motion film in the future. The medium compliments him very well. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

Outside of Budapest and Tenenbaums and, to a much lesser extent, Fox, his movies have become insufferable. This might his worst one yet but the animation, attention to detail and a somewhat fun finale save it from Darjeeling and Life Aquatic depths of shit. 

Exchange student might be his most insufferably, miscalculated character to date. Maybe she's a parody or parody of himself mocking that mistake that movies make? I don't know. 

C-.

For some perspective...

1 Budapest

2 Tenenbaums

3 Fox

4 Rushmore

5 Bottle Rocket

6 Moonrise

7 Isle

8 Life Aquatic

9 Darjeeling

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

21 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i run hot and cold on him. really i think his last few movies have been alternating between great and shit pretty consistently so i'm hyped for the next one i guess?

Same here. I liked some of Andersons films,but with others he allows his quirkiness to become annoying rather then amusing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Outside of Budapest and Tenenbaums and, to a much lesser extent, Fox, his movies have become insufferable. This might his worst one yet but the animation, attention to detail and a somewhat fun finale save it from Darjeeling and Life Aquatic depths of shit. 

Afro exchange student might be his most insufferably, miscalculated character to date. Maybe she's a parody or parody of himself mocking that mistake that movies make? I don't know. 

C-.

For some perspective...

1 Budapest

2 Tenenbaums

3 Fox

4 Rushmore

5 Bottle Rocket

6 Moonrise

7 Isle

8 Life Aquatic

9 Darjeeling

Generally agree, but I think Moonrise is his best film.

But Life Aquatic is a example of Anderson's quirky charecters becoming annoying tather then amusing.

19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I liked some of Andersons films,but with others he allows his quirkiness to become annoying rather then amusing.

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

But Life Aquatic is a example of Anderson's quirky charecters becoming annoying tather then amusing.

literally the same post within 3 minutes

• Like 1