Fancyarcher

Isle of Dogs | Wes Anderson | April 20 2018

19 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

His animation style is definitely more of an acquired taste than Laika's or Aardman's, and the art design isn't as warm as Grand Budapest's or even Moonrise Kingdom's. Being animated I don't see curious old couples going for this and definitely not kids unless they're raised by cineastes.

That's true, but Fantastic Mr. Fox has grown a pretty big cult following over the years and the art style can definitely be described as an acquired taste. I think most people know what they're getting when they go into a Wes Anderson movie and his audience has only gotten bigger. I think it can at least do around MR and GBH numbers.

The trailer looks a fun Anderson outing, so I'm looking forward to it. Marketing in front of kids movies though, is moronic. I've never heard such a confused reaction as the utter silence and questions to parents afterwards as I did getting this trailer at Ninjago.

• Like 1

I got this film's trailer at the following films:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

The Greatest Showman

Lady Bird

What I'm saying is this: Fox Searchlight is being smart. They know this film is something they can advertise to multiple types of audiences, and that's exactly what they're doing. This film could surprise.

9 minutes ago, slambros said:

I got this film's trailer at the following films:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

The Greatest Showman

Lady Bird

What I'm saying is this: Fox Searchlight is being smart. They know this film is something they can advertise to multiple types of audiences, and that's exactly what they're doing. This film could surprise.

I'm hoping it can pull off something like 60-70m DOM and match that OS. I feel like Anderson has a committed enough DOM fanbase now that's probably good for at least 30m or so. Then add to the fact that kids love dogs in general, and it may actually have more kid appeal than stop motion has been having in recent years. It has a prime spring break release spot and Sherlock Gnomes isn't exactly stiff competition for the spring break kid demo. So it might be in a good position to surprise and get a decent amount of interest from the family demo. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

I'm a little more optimistic about this than I was before commercially. I guess the story is pretty much a simple kid-friendly adventure even if the animation style is sort of off-putting at first glance. 

But then again the most recent movie I saw this trailer with was a box office disappointment, so who knows.

• Like 1

Saw Pads 2 with my little nephews and they showed the trailer, and when the movie was over they were obsessed with the big cardboard display of the poster in the lobby. Must have spent over 5 minutes studying it and looking at all the dogs, providing their commentary and opinions on each one, lol. Really gave me hope that this could have way more kid appeal than we may have initially thought. Kids love dogs. 

11 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Rated PG-13 for thematic elements and violent images

sheila-broflovski-what-what.jpg

Welp. And I really thought from the marketing this had an unusual amount of potential for stop motion to tap into the kid audience. Now it's going to basically be relying solely on Anderson's loyal fanbase. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

sheila-broflovski-what-what.jpg

Welp. And I really thought from the marketing this had an unusual amount of potential for stop motion to tap into the kid audience. Now it's going to basically be relying solely on Anderson's loyal fanbase. 

Yeah, passing Moonrise Kingdom (45M) is going to be a challenge now. This will expand fine given how empty April is, but passing Grand Budapest for his highest grossing movie is off the table now.