Fancyarcher

Isle of Dogs | Wes Anderson | April 20 2018

On 3/22/2018 at 12:08 AM, rjones1325 said:

While Fantastic Mr. Fox was based on pre-existing written material, Isle of Dogs is a completely original story from the mind of Anderson and it honestly might be his best-crafted work (figuratively and literally) since his previous film. I would’ve said “since Rushmore” but The Grand Budapest Hotel was a terrific story with great performances and memorable characters. Anderson is currently on a streak where he has given up writing cartoonish characters for the sake of prioritizing style over substance, and now focuses on writing more intricate stories. As much as I love and appreciate most of Anderson’s previous work, Isle of Dogs is the most unpredictably elaborate and developed story Anderson has written to date.

#IsleOfDogs maintains Wes Anderson's winning streak of delightful and poignant storytelling by being his most thoughtfully charming one to date.

Here's my ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ review of Isle of Dogs:

https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//isle-of-dogs-review

Saw it yesterday. Basically my thoughts exactly. Really surprised some people around here are underwhelmed by it (assuming they're Anderson fans). Though I will say this may be his most accessible film yet to those who maybe don't care for his prior films. Kind of a hard movie to outright dislike, imo. Dog lovers in particular should see this, they should enjoy it whether they normally hate his films or have never seen any others. Hope it can get to 50m, maybe inch past Tenenbaums. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 5

wes anderson is kinda like when the Coens made the ladykillers in that both are artists that "woke" journalists demand to be more diverse and then they go and make movies like this and it's like "actually... no you're good just stick to white people"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Saw it yesterday. Basically my thoughts exactly. Really surprised some people around here are underwhelmed by it (assuming they're Anderson fans). Though I will say this may be his most accessible film yet to those who maybe don't care for his prior films. Kind of a hard movie to outright dislike, imo. Dog lovers in particular should see this, they should enjoy it whether they normally hate his films or have never seen any others. Hope it can get to 50m, maybe inch past Tenenbaums. 

I'm not sure if it is a guarantee or not at this time, but my main hope is for Isle of Dogs is for it to gross past the adjusted domestic gross of Fantastic Mr. Fox. Not only would it be on the higher end of box office performers from Anderson (unadjusted), but it would also show positive growth in the appeal of Anderson's stop-motion-animated movies, so that Anderson would surely be able to make another one. Though if it goes past the unadjusted gross of The Royal Tenenbaums, that would undoubtedly be a huge win.

• Like 1

The only thing I can say I didn't really care for is Greta Gerwig and her subplot. Even ignoring the #woke problems, it's not all that interesting, to the point where I kinda tuned out until we went back to the dogs. Everything else is pretty solid and enjoyable, but nothing really hits any high points for me, outside of some of the voice work (I wanna adopt Jeff Goldblum Dog)

From what I know, Wes Anderson he's been accused of cultural appropriation which this movie doesn't move away from. I didn't really  notice anything "woke" about the movie. Last I heard there were people complaining about some of the Japanese stereotypes depicted in the film and complaining about the Greta Gerwig character that further perpetuates the "white savior"  trope that is often depicted in films. I think since the character was not essential in moving the plot forward in the movie.

Edited by YLF

4 minutes ago, slambros said:

...What rumor?

Spoiler

That I went to see the film yesterday and liked it.

Some say I may have thought that while it starts out slow it picks up in the middle and finishes strong. 

I expected more out of Pony Merks' character, Tracy though.

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:
  Hide contents

That I went to see the film yesterday and liked it.

Some say I may have thought that while it starts out slow it picks up in the middle and finishes strong. 

I expected more out of Pony Merks' character, Tracy though.

That's like the exact opposite of how I felt

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I just think it went on a little too long.

I sorta had the opposite reaction.  I think Gerwig's subplot should've been cut out but everything else kinda felt like there was something missing?  what it did was good enough to the point where I ended up really enjoying the film but it didn't enter "great" territory because I just felt it needed more to it.  plus I wanted more Goldblum dog goddamn it.

Edited by That Ambitious Guy
  • Like 1

Just now, dudalb said:

And a Wes Anderson film is divisive:Some love it, some hate it.

What else is new?

Anderson has always been an acquired taste for many people.

i run hot and cold on him. really i think his last few movies have been alternating between great and shit pretty consistently so i'm hyped for the next one i guess?

• Like 1