kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

Just now, Cochofles said:

Which trailer is the one [some] people are calling 'trash'? 

A new trailer came out exclusively attached to It that hasn't appeared online. It has the commercial narrator with big lettering hyping it up as a life changing experience coming out in one week at this theater. At the end of the trailer, the narrator tells you to go to the box office after the movie and get tickets.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

A new trailer came out exclusively attached to It that hasn't appeared online. It has the commercial narrator with big lettering hyping it up as a life changing experience coming out in one week at this theater. At the end of the trailer, the narrator tells you to go to the box office after the movie and get tickets.

Damn. 

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yep. I've never seen a trailer like that before. Lots of obnoxious ads, but never an actual movie trailer that asks - No, tells - you to go buy your tickets for it after the movie.

I didn't feel threatened by it at all. It was just really weird. My audience for IT thought so too, by the sounds of it.

I still haven't seen IT yet (might be seeing it tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to catch this mother! trailer before it gets removed) but the fact the studio released a trailer so eager to make this movie feel like a must-see so late in the game leads me to think that the tracking must be really not good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I still haven't seen IT yet (might be seeing it tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to catch this mother! trailer before it gets removed) but the fact the studio released a trailer so eager to make this movie feel like a must-see so late in the game leads me to think that the tracking must be really not good.

You say this as if they haven't already released tracking numbers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It's tracking at 12-15M, so.... it's fine?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

You say this as if they haven't already released tracking numbers.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

It's tracking at 12-15M, so.... it's fine?

Wouldn't surprise me if the studio was originally expecting at least $20M based on the Lawrence/Aronofsky combo being "hip" enough to draw in a sizeable crowd despite the kooky nature of the movie (although the only movies of his to make over $30M total were Black Swan and Noah, the latter of which was sold as a blockbuster and was ultimately labeled a financial disappointment), but the budget is so low that profitability is guaranteed, so I doubt they'll fret much.

20 minutes ago, raegr said:

People seemed more excited for Jigsaw more than Mother! in my theater. An 8th Saw movie vs a Darren Aaronofsky (Requiem For a Dream and Black Swan) original movie. 

Not unexpected.  I imagine the cross over between the people going to see IT and Aaronofsky devotees is not a large one.

• Like 2

I’m not going to lie, this movie came out of nowhere for me. For a while, I only heard that Darren Aronofsky directed a new movie with Jennifer Lawrence and now they’re dating. Nobody really knew what it was even about especially when the first trailer came out literally a month before its release. And after having seen it. I still want to know what the hell I just watched.  It felt as if Aronofsky was like, “Oh you guys were confused with "Noah"? Well, get ready because I’m going to deliver you such a mind fuck with my next movie!”

FULL REVIEW HERE: https://rendyreviews.com/movies//mother-review

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spaghetti! said:

Final prediction of $13m/$32m. I think word will be strong enough for a decent opening, but it'll get quickly swamped. That said, I lowkey wouldn't be surprised to see this pull a Detroit/Steve Jobs on us.

I'm actually starting to think that American Assassin will open higher by a couple of million dollars than this. I doubt it goes as low as Detroit/Steve Jobs, but this is clearly gonna be a niche affair (and we're bound to see annoying hyperbolic headlines like "New Jennifer Lawrence Movie Flops at Box Office" and other variations by Monday morning).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spaghetti! said:

Final prediction of $13m/$32m. I think word will be strong enough for a decent opening, but it'll get quickly swamped. That said, I lowkey wouldn't be surprised to see this pull a Detroit/Steve Jobs on us.

A good day for cinephiles but a bad day for cinephiles too

giphy.gif