kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

14 minutes ago, trifle said:

Oh, it is definitely on the alt right radar.  There are environmental metaphors in it and Jen was misquoted by clickbait articles as supposedly saying our recent hurricanes were natures wrath for electing trump.  It made a lot of noise with numerous sites (Hollywood Reporter etc etc) saying no she never said that, and Snopes even did a bit on it.  Immediately when that hit the news cycle, mother was downvoted on imdb regardless of the fact that it hadn't even opened at festivals at the time.  As I said, RT didn't open for those votes until the previews.

Some may be legitimate, but the flood as soon as the voting was allowed let the trolls in as well.  Check comment sections.

LOL So apropos that fans of the man who turned "FAKE NEWS!" into a national catchphrase are calling for Jennifer's head over a piece of fake news ("Jennifer Lawrence blames Irma and Harvey on Trump voters! Read all about it!!"

On another topic: I admit that in the past I have been "guilty" of being quick to label a film "pretentious," but I have started asking myself, "what the heck am I using as criteria for my calling a film 'pretentious'?" I mean...do we use the term for any film that does not give us pat answers or a linear, easily digested narrative? Do we use the term for any film that does not telegraph every plot point or give us the usual emotional cues through music? Is a film that tries to do something different (from the usual) pretentious? Is a film that explores a director's "weird" idiosyncracies pretentious? 

I don't know...I thought that for me it was worth exploring those questions.

I saw mother!  last night and my verdict is...I loved the experience. 

I most definitely did not hate the film and definitely was not turned off by the now infamous third act. 

I am still trying to take in, process, and interpret/decode every last moment from the film, and once I do that, I will certainly talk about it in more detail.

I also want to see it again...

Do we even have a spoiler thread for mother! ?

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

LOL So apropos that fans of the man who turned "FAKE NEWS!" into a national catchphrase are calling for Jennifer's head over a piece of fake news ("Jennifer Lawrence blames Irma and Harvey on Trump voters! Read all about it!!"

On another topic: I admit that in the past I have been "guilty" of being quick to label a film "pretentious," but I have started asking myself, "what the heck am I using as criteria for my calling a film 'pretentious'?" I mean...do we use the term for any film that does not give us pat answers or a linear, easily digested narrative? Do we use the term for any film that does not telegraph every plot point or give us the usual emotional cues through music? Is a film that tries to do something different (from the usual) pretentious? Is a film that explores a director's "weird" idiosyncracies pretentious? 

I most definitely did not hate the film and definitely was not turned off by the now infamous third act. 

I am still trying to take in, process, and interpret/decode every last moment from the film, and once I do that, I will certainly talk about it in more detail.

I'm so glad to hear that! And no, I think you'd have to go to the reviews thread? 

I kind of expect 'pretentions' but I'm going to give myself over to the ride and see where it takes me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trifle said:

I'm so glad to hear that! And no, I think you'd have to go to the reviews thread? 

I kind of expect 'pretentions' but I'm going to give myself over to the ride and see where it takes me.

That's the perfect frame of mind, in my opinion, to go into this film with.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I don't think a film is pretentious if it's a bit challenging due to a non-linear narrative but if it's just some director's weird idiosyncrasies put onscreen, then the word is appropriate.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I'm off to see it tonight and your thoughts on the film are making me look forward even more. 

• Like 2

The most Aronofsky Aronosky movie ever. Pretty much each ugly, brutal theme of each of his previous films hemorrhaged all over the big screen. If you like/love Aronosky, you'll love mother! Amplifies everything that great, mysterious, repulsive and terrible about his films to 11.

A-/A

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, trifle said:

Those are the alt right trolls who voted it down on imdb, a place where you can rate a film before it even comes out.  You can't review them until preview night on RT, so they had to wait on RT.

There will be those who hate it, but not that many people saw the previews and rated it that quickly, I am certain. And after what happened on imdb it is certainly suspicious.

Also, can someone refresh my memory on how to block someone here? I don't want to be spoiled, accidentally on purpose. NVM! I figured it out!

Read the reviews, plenty saw it, are echoing the same thoughts and are not just trolls. Go on Twitter and Fandango as well. People are just as pissed as they were with It Comes At Night.

I don't know what it's rated on, on IMDB but most of the people rating it bad are talking about the movie and not Lawrence herself.

And yes you can review them, that always drops late Thursday. 

5 hours ago, Biggestgeekever said:

One of my favorite thing about films like mother!—which is equal parts biblical allegory and a self-psychological examination of auteurs—is how so many people refuse to meet them halfway, and instead act like the filmmakers raped your girlfriend, shot your dog, and hired terrorists to blow up your home.

Because it's bullshit. For the people who go in cold, how is it fair to do that to audiences? That's like going to Burger King for a whopper and being served a Big Mac. If I wanted that then I'd go to Mcdonalds. That's why I can never get over films that do this.

Fuck that. I don't care what the movie is if it doesn't deliver what it promises. At that point, I can't help but walk out pretty angry at being conned into rushing out and seeing something that I easily could have waited for. If you liked it great but don't expect others to be satisfied by a film that was clearly marketed to be something else entirely. 

All over the place all I saw was Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence and surreal horror film. That sounded like a great recipe for an awesome experience. So no, I wasn't expecting this to be conventional but I was at least expecting it to have some sort of horror/thriller element in it...and it has none.

The message it gets to has nothing new to say and felt like a complete waste of 2 hours. And I don't care how hard it is to market a movie like this. They still didn't deliver on that concept and that needs to stop. So yeah, certain people are going to be pissed off because these movies aren't cheap and you're never going to get that time back.

And before someone says it, I don't feel right asking for my $15+ back to a theater I go to on a close to weekly basis because it's not their fault...it's Paramount's (or whoever the marketing team was).

After such a strong run of movies this summer after It Comes At Night, I thought studios conning audiences with misleading trailers was over. Guess not. We'll see what the WOM is in a few days. I bet it drops like a rock next weekend if my audience was anything to go by.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

The meltdown :rofl:

Darren A said it was going to be a unique experience and the trailers never said it was going to be a regular horror movie

Now it's Paramount's fault because they didn't give away the movie in the trailers....Jeez

Edited by XO21
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

lmao what the fuck are you talking about. Horror doesn't always mean jumpscares.

I wasn't expecting it to have jump scares. I fucking hate those. Did Black Swan?

Sorry Jennifer Lawrence closing a cabinet and seeing someone standing there is not horror. Neither is what the movie gets to at the end. 

If you found tension in that first hour with the camera staying as close to Lawrences head as possible as she endlessly walked around the same room in a panicked state asking the same questions over and over again then great but there was nothing horrifying happening in this movie.

Go ahead and watch that "You'll Never Forget Where You Were" trailer because the movie I watched surely wasn't that. Society sucks...thanks Aronofsky, glad I waited 2 hours for you to tell me how bad the human race is. 

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

Just now, somebody85 said:

I wasn't expecting it to have jump scares. I fucking hate those. Did Black Swan?

Sorry Jennifer Lawrence closing a cabinet and seeing someone standing there is not horror. Neither is what the movie gets to at the end. 

If you found tension in that first hour with the camera staying as close to Lawrences head as possible as she endlessly walked around the same room in a panicked state asking the same questions over and over again then great but there was nothing horrifying happening in this movie.

Go ahead and watch that "You'll Never Forget Where You Were" trailer because the movie I watched wasn't. Society sucks...thanks Aronofsky, glad I waited 2 hours for you to tell me how bad the human race is. 

Did you sleep through the second half?

29 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The two big loner youtubers (Stuckman & Jahns) liked it and raved Jlaw a lot but the dude bro channels teams are pretty mixed : Collider, Screen Junkies, and Schmoes Know.

Of course because they didn't rave about it, they're now just the "dude bro" channels.