kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Nobody is here. The cinema is cold. This movie is boring. I wanna pee. I've already figured the whole thing out. I'm going toilet.

Well, that's definitely the worst review I've heard yet!  I hope the movie picks up for you when you get back.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Deadpool's marketing was on point tho, stupid, childish, unfunny and lame : just like the movie.

So there was continuity there.

Ryan Reynolds is an honsest guy I ll give him that.

If Deadpool  had been made by Marvel Studios, you would be saying that it was "a riot" and that it was "moviemaking poetry full of lush, vividly creative narrative landscapes."

:P

Edited by Cochofles
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

Nobody is here. The cinema is cold. This movie is boring. I wanna pee. I've already figured the whole thing out. I'm going toilet.

I never pull my phone out in theaters. I'm always super quiet but damn it this movie was so frustrating that I wanted to go on Twitter during it and see if I was going crazy while watching because what I was seeing didn't add up to the high reviews. I seriously started playing with my hat and seeing what it looked like when it was higher up on my head or lower and how much of the screen it covered (doesn't help I have OCD). That's how unengaged I was and I never get like this in the theater.

So yeah, I found the first hour incredibly dull too. I just kept waiting for something to happen and it never came.

Edited by somebody85

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

If Deadpool  had been made by Marvel Studios, you would be saying that it was "a riot" and that it was "moviemaking poetry full of lush, vividly creative narrative landscapes."

:P

Sophistication vs Pre-pubescent toilet humor

Choose your side in deed.

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The two main characters of the movie are named mother! and Him.  

How could anyone think this movie was going to be anything other than a walking, in your face allegory?

This is not that subtle folks.

I didn't even know that. There's a lot of films I try to go into completely cold to get more out of the experience.

Sometimes it works (Baby Driver, A Ghost Story (saw the trailer in front of ICAN once), Detroit, Before I Fall, Personal Shopper, Logan Lucky, Colossal) other times it really doesn't.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

I have no sympathy for anyone who went in expecting a traditional jump scare horror movie. This film has had two festival openings, a ton of social media reaction, numerous reviews, and a director whose style is well established. Unless the ads were saying "scariest movie since the Exorcist", cannot say people were misled. This film is a tough sell. It is too out there to get a platformed release, and too art house to be a wide release. I think getting as much now, then scaling back, then re-releasing around awards time is the best approach. This film is destined to make its money in the secondary markets.   

Edited by straggler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

All over the place all I saw was Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence and surreal horror film. That sounded like a great recipe for an awesome experience. So no, I wasn't expecting this to be conventional but I was at least expecting it to have some sort of horror/thriller element in it...and it has none.

But did you miss all the time director (clearly warned people many time)/cast/junket interview/reviews that clearly said that it was not your conventional surreal horror movie at all ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trifle said:

Thanks! 

Is that good or bad?

Lower than Crimson peak (833k), a little bit above the Witches (630k), so not good but still in line for the 9.8-10m opening predicted, I imagine everything was bad other than IT thursday, it was still a really strong movie going option specially at those hours.

Crimson Peak opened at 13.1m, the witch at 8.8m.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

But did you miss all the time director (clearly warned people many time)/cast/junket interview/reviews that clearly said that it was not your conventional surreal horror movie at all ?

Yes. I didn't follow the marketing at all for this so never saw any of that outside of general info and knowing who was involved.

I pretty went into this cold outside the summary and one trailer (and hearing the second in front of IT). Like I've said multiple times I wasn't expecting a conventional horror film. Black Swan is anything but that.

"Critics Consensus: There's no denying that mother! is the thought-provoking product of a singularly ambitious artistic vision, though it may be too unwieldy for mainstream tastes." - I loved the last part of this consensus because I know a lot of mainstream audiences hated movies like A Ghost Story, The Neon Demon, A Monster Calls, Personal Shopper, etc. which I loved. I probably should have scrolled down and read some consensus's or watched a few reviews but I didn't. I went in without seeing a single one.

So I was still hyped as I waiting for it to start. Like I said above sometimes it works out in my favor and other times it doesn't. This was one of those times where it really didn't and I couldn't help but feel upset with the experience.

Maybe in a few months, I'll feel differently.

• Like 2

MAN OF STEEL IS MORE SUBTLE THAN THIS MOVIE. 

I feel conned. This is a student movie made by a guy that thinks he's original and cutting edge but in reality he's just a vessel of ideas already done.

I've seen a whole play of this story presented through rap, this adaption is just as lame. These stories get retold with new skins to draw in new sheep all the time. Who thinks this shit is fresh?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@somebody85 I hear you. I too expected an artistic thriller with maybe one weirdo scene such as JLaw poster that turns out to be a vision like Black Swan's horror elements. But that's not what the movie is like apparently. 

It's not like Black Swan or Requiem For A Dream At All. The narratives are a lot tighter in those movies. And yeah I was kind of expecting something like that or some sort of really surreal moment that had unsettling imagery. But to be fair, it does pick up by the third act but it's all played out as a metaphor and I was already checked out at that point because everything that came previously was not what I thought this was going to be.

Maybe I'm just an outlier and more people will enjoy it but I think it's going to be incredibly divisive. 

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

I feel conned. This is a student movie made by a guy that thinks he's original and cutting edge but in reality he's just a vessel of ideas already done.

Yeah. I read tonight that it was written in 5 days....which makes a ton of sense.

And considering the director, when that was revealed, I thought he'd have a lot more interesting things to say but nope. Not going to spoil it but it almost seems like Aronofsky hates humanity (which goes with a lot of billionaires who think this planets population needs to be reduced).

Edited by somebody85