kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

20 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Anybody have a link to the Reddit thread that talks about the imageries of the film?

The r/movies thread has a lot of discussion.

20 minutes ago, straggler said:

I have no sympathy for anyone who went in expecting a traditional jump scare horror movie. This film has had two festival openings, a ton of social media reaction, numerous reviews, and a director whose style is well established. Unless the ads were saying "scariest movie since the Exorcist", cannot say people were misled. This film is a tough sell. It is too out there to get a platformed release, and too art house to be a wide release. I think getting as much now, then scaling back, then re-releasing around awards time is the best approach. This film is destined to make its money in the secondary markets.   

Paramount will have it out on Blu-Ray by Christmas, so a re-expansion won't happen even if it gets major nominations.

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

It's not like Black Swan or Requiem For A Dream At All. The narratives are a lot tighter in those movies. And yeah I was kind of expecting something like that or some sort of really surreal moment that had unsettling imagery. But to be fair, it does pick up by the third act but it's all played out as a metaphor and I was already checked out at that point because everything that came previously was not what I thought this was going to be.

Maybe I'm just an outlier and more people will enjoy it but I think it's going to be incredibly divisive. 

Most people are going to hate it but there will be "you just don't get it, it's a masterpiece" vocal minority that also said the same about Silence and other incomprehensible movies. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Most people are going to hate it but there will be "you just don't get it, it's a masterpiece" vocal minority that also said the same about Silence and other incomprehensible movies. 

Oh I've already seen them on Youtube just like with It Comes At Night. But on that note, I really liked Silence....it's not a film I'd want to watch again but it had a lot of strengths (but I don't have a ton of knowledge on the actual events) - Sorry OT.

I don't see WOM being good with this film especially with IT playing so strongly right now. I know many don't think it's a serious indicator but I'll be real curious to see the CS for mother! tonight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Are the Oscars THAT desperate for ratings?

Yes but presenters =/= ratings. Having winners among movies that people actually saw and cared about would help. Also, cutting all tech categories but SFX and musical numbers cause nobody but industry types care. 

But anyway, it's an outdated type of entertainment that will never gain popularity again. It will keep declining even if they award Star Wars or Thor. 

Edited by Valonqar

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Re-expansions rarely happen if something is already out on home media. Theaters would rather get the November/December releases when nominations are out instead.

Outside best picture winners, really hard to convince distributor/theater chain yes, almost no movie outside BP winners that opened wide before October made any money post oscar night.

• Like 1

This is dead awards-wise. Not an AMPAS thing at all (I guess predix were made cause of prestige names and cause AW wants Pfeifer to happen like Mama Ladd), so-so critical response and a bomb. Just the worst combo. 

@AJG If you leave 30 min after the movie started. Otherwise no. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Nothing against Jenn Lawrence but I didn't think the performance here was a standout or anything. For the first half she was pretty one note in her reactions and lines and that's why I found the film so repetitive. At one point something happens and she starts to express more but I didn't think her character had that much depth.

I thought the character she played in Passengers was actually more developed and this was definitely no Silver Linings Playbook. She's impressed me more in past films but I did like how she looked slightly different here.

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Yeah, don't expect a refund if you watch the entire movie for obvious reasons.

The cinema guy just said they'll just give me a gift card so... that's cool I guess.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

Do cinemas usually give refunds if someone chooses to leave before this ends?

I had to force myself to see the end. I paid to see it and wasn't going to walk out but it was taking a lot of willpower to stay. I go late and didn't want to put my local cinema through that. I've heard yes they do but to me, I'll just accept it and vent elsewhere.