kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

2 minutes ago, straggler said:

Fair enough. It is very subjective. I just love Jlaw's naturalistic ability. That ability to convey emotion even silently is god given. The intensity just kept ratcheting up and then exploded. One of the most without a net performances I ever saw. Remains to be seen.  Being nominated four times already might work against her, but this performances was right up my alley. 

Right, as far as issues I had with this film, she was not on that list. She's always good. If I had a problem with anything about her character, it was the dialogue...so more the writing. She could only do so much with what she's given until she's given that moment and then she's easily the strongest thing about the movie.

Like I've said a lot, I had high hopes going into this because she was involved and the last time she did horror was something really cheesy (I think it was a remake years ago - she had blonde hair).

3 minutes ago, trifle said:

Yeah.  The RT score shows up when you google a film.  We'll see though.  This movie is definitely not going to be for everyone.

I browsed through Fandango reactions this morning.  Can't count the amount of times I read "Worst Movie Ever."  Always interesting to see these kinds of reactions...and yes, the people involved are happy that we're talking about it at all, rather than not.

Edited by Macleod

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

I browsed through Fandango reactions this morning.  Can't count the amount of times I read "Worst Movie Ever."  Always interesting to see these kinds of reactions...and yes, the people involved are happy that we're talking about it at all, rather than not.

lol that's what I was seeing last night too. They haven't updated their audience score to reflect it yet (at least an hour ago).

2 hours ago, Kingp0va said:

so another flop for jlaw, she cant breathe, thank god blake replaced her as the princess of hollywood

You have got to be kidding.

People have already mentioned how this flopping will not impact Jlaw's career in the least, and I'll say this: I LOVE Lively, and her Hollywood profile was certainly boosted by the success of The Shallows, but Jennifer Lawrence is still the Hollywood starlet most likely to get sent the hottest scripts in town and cast in the hottest properties around. She has the box office numbers and the awards luster. Livelty might get there eventually, but she still is not on the same level as Jlaw, stardom-wise.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

mother! is danger of losing it's certified fresh rating.  Down to 71%.  

:thinking:  I hope Paramount didn't already build a TV ad around it and just kept it the tweet.

Where does RT draw the line. If every blogger and Joe Schmo can post a review well after all the mainline critics have posted reviews then what is the point. For example I read that Joy just became "rotten" in the last few days. That is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, straggler said:

Where does RT draw the line. If every blogger and Joe Schmo can post a review well after all the mainline critics have posted reviews then what is the point. For example I read that Joy just became "rotten" in the last few days. That is ridiculous. 

Reviews are always added if they're a RT critic.  Right now though mother! has less than half the reviews of a typical blockbuster and about 85 less than IT.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, 75livesinDerry said:

not another idiotic meltdown over RT :rofl:

and people wonder why RT is getting flack.  Just look at this thread lately :P  

I don't think it is completely idiotic. I just think the mainstream critics have not figured out how to work with it or really understand their function in the world of critic aggregator sites. I have read a lot of very positive sounding reviews (eg The Washington Post review, the WSJ review) that are very positive but express reservations and they end up "rotten". The same as a Mall Cop movie.  If you think a film is artistically worthwhile but flawed, that should be a net "fresh" review. This film would always present challenges for critics, but they never see the bigger picture. 

Edited by straggler
  • Like 1