kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

14 minutes ago, Gumby said:

The theater has always been pretty liberal regarding refunds.  But I do remember someone walking out of The Witch (a movie I liked) about 3/4 of the way through and wanting their money back and didn't get it.

There was signage about The Artist being a silent film at this theater, too.  

I suppose they could put up a sign for Mother saying, "This is the most indulgent and pretentious piece of shit you're ever going to see.  Enter at your own risk."

11 minutes ago, Harley said:

The only way Lawrence can be hurt by this is if it can be determined her out of context Hurricane controversy hurt the bottom line. Then she becomes a liability marketing a movie but I would be surprised to find this is the case. The GA work too hard for their money to throw it away on something they might not like. Simple as that.

I guess you (and many out there) didn't see this

The primary allegory in the movie involves Jen as

Spoiler

mother earth and man's careless and selfish impact on her.

so of course that was a topic in the promo tour.

I don't think that was a spoiler, by the way, as it was OFTEN said in the promo tour, but I tagged it, anyhow.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Although I can't say I liked this movie, I have to applaud Darren Aronofsky for actually convincing a major studio to both fund it and give it a 2,000+ theater release to something so completely fucked up.

That's true.

And Paramount even increased their marketing buy at the end, so they put even more money in to try and save it.

I think you should only get a refund if something breaks down or you are unable to make the film for whatever as long they are notified in advance. If you sit through the entire film and disliked it, that is not the cinema's fault and you shouldn't get a refund. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gumby said:

That's true.

And Paramount even increased their marketing buy at the end, so they put even more money in to try and save it.

Didn't Paramount distribute Noah? It's not like they are new to Aronofsky. They even tried to fool the GA with marketing then. It worked a little bit better then than now.

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

I didn't pay attention to the marketing but I think there was a high concept there they could've focused on.

But whatever. I maintain that a lot of people hating this right now are going to label it a "misunderstood masterpiece" in a few years.

Has all the hallmarks of it. Passionate supporters saying it is a masterpiece. Passionate haters calling it the worst movie ever. The mass WTF reaction. The oddity of the movie. Cannot wait for the Criterion version. 

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Red Sparrow, a film that seems to be more in JLaw's wheelhouse, will truly be a test and/or "evidence" of her drawing power; mother! will just be a blemish in her resume, but I doubt it will cause casting agents to suddenly stop sending her scripts.

She's going to keep seeing scripts even if Red Sparrow flops. I think the only thing that could/will change is how much money up front she gets it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Surprised there isn't a "No refunds after the movie starts" policy, or if people complain enough, they get free passes anyway? Sometimes the theaters here put up signs at the ticket window if a movie is "challenging", for The Artist there was a sign about it being silent and in black & white. Basically a warning ahead of time, so, hey, don't come looking for a refund later because we're not giving it to you.

For what it's worth, the policy at Canada's largest theatre chain (Cineplex, which has more than half of the screens in the country and dominates the GTA where I live) is you get a refund if you walk out in the first half hour.

That seems reasonable enough to me, although I've never taken advantage of it and don't think I ever will.

Original comment didn't say if the people asking for refunds had watched the whole thing, if they had then getting refunds seems very questionable, and ripe for abuse.

• Like 2

I'm definitely interested to see the movie, but the kind of stuff that tends to get labelled as a 'misunderstood masterpiece' years down the line are films that are met with a general shrug upon release, — eg. Blade Runner, Shining, etc — and no-one's greeting this film with a shrug, whatever their feelings on it.

16 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I'm definitely interested to see the movie, but the kind of stuff that tends to get labelled as a 'misunderstood masterpiece' years down the line are films that are met with a general shrug upon release, — eg. Blade Runner, Shining, etc — and no-one's greeting this film with a shrug, whatever their feelings on it.

Not the same thing.  People found those and stuff like TTOL boring/dull, not outrageously bad and nonsensical.  No way to spin this.

4 minutes ago, Jeriosnal said:

Not the same thing.  People found those and stuff like TTOL boring/dull, not outrageously bad and nonsensical.  No way to spin this.

I haven't seen mother so can't comment on its quality, but it sounds like you're agreeing with me. (No idea what TTOL is.)

• Like 1