kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Get Out subtext was so subtle it gave me an aneurysm ... so many layers, such insight !

Woah !

lmao. literally no one even mentioned get out, and they're not even comparable films but i guess because any movie this year had the nerve to be better than Mother you're throwing toys out the pram. are we getting another "dunkirk is boring" post next? maybe the 100th "wonder woman was nothing special"...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Cinemascore answers essentially one question "Did the audience got exactly the movie they expected?" nothing more. Even if it was a survey in 100 theatres instead of 4, bullshit cbm or YA movies with a fanbase like Apocalypse and Divergent would still get an A and stuff like Inception, Gone Girl and Fury Road would still get B/B+ at most. 

BvS got a B.  Like Catwoman.  What's a poor score in Cinemscore is also relevant to genre.

With mother!, while overall it was an F, according to Deadline those polled who said they were DA fans gave it a C+.  Not the same level of level of damnation as from the GA non art house crowd but not exactly a ringing endorsement from his base either.  It's divisive and not just a divide between the GA and art house crowd.  It's not as if it there isn't a significant portion of critics and top critics (about a third) who disliked it.  Anthony Lane, John Anderson, Ann Hornaday, David Edelstein, Stephanie Zacharek etc aren't exactly hacks or plebeians incapable of appreciating art house films.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

lmao. literally no one even mentioned get out, and they're not even comparable films but i guess because any movie this year had the nerve to be better than Mother you're throwing toys out the pram. are we getting another "dunkirk is boring" post next? maybe the 100th "wonder woman was nothing special"...

LOL!!!

Has he called Manchester By The Sea dull and Guardians of the Galaxy a brilliant work of art yet?

Drugs, man.

They kill.

Imagine we are in such a business structure where you have to pay for the product without examining the product. You pay after just seeing the advert. Only after you make the full payment do you get that product. And it's non-refundable. Having agreed to this structure, I show you a photo of a chocolate cake, get paid for the cake in full, and then give you one potato chip. You will give me an F.

21 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

BvS got a B.  Like Catwoman.  What's a poor score in Cinemscore is also relevant to genre.

With mother!, while overall it was an F, according to Deadline those polled who said they were DA fans gave it a C+.  Not the same level of level of damnation as from the GA non art house crowd but not exactly a ringing endorsement from his base either.  It's divisive and not just a divide between the GA and art house crowd.  It's not as if it there isn't a significant portion of critics and top critics (about a third) who disliked it.  Anthony Lane, John Anderson, Ann Hornaday, David Edelstein, Stephanie Zacharek etc aren't exactly hacks or plebeians incapable of appreciating art house films.

Of course. I'm not saying in any way that mother! has anything resembling good reception but it also isn't the the joke that was The Devil Inside just because they have the same cinemascore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, straggler said:

There is something called numerical bias. The basic idea is that when we see a number or grade our minds immediately assume it is valid. But Cinemascore is really meaningless. It is a survey of about 400 people at only 4 or 5 theaters on opening night. That is too small and limited a sample to validly convey anything. All it indicates is that 400 casual moviegoers went to see that new horror/home invasion film starring Jennifer Lawrence and got mother! instead. Yet the media treats Cinemascore as if it trumps all reviews or the reactions of audiences that actually had a clue what they were going to watch. I get that it is a divisive and insane film, but I think it is brilliant and I could not care less what 400 unsuspsecting moviegoers had to say on opening night about what they thought they were going to watch. Cinemascore is a tool, but it should not be overstated and I don't think it is helpful regarding less conventional movies. It measures expectations. But I guess moving forward studios need to be smart about how they manage all these different shorthand measures.  

I understand there have only been about 12 F Cinemascores since the scoring began.  I wonder how many of the others had 74 scores on metacritic.

• Like 2

Has anyone re-watched this? What did you think? Did you discover things that you may have overlooked the first time?

I can totally see this film becoming a cult favorite.

It is certainly thought-provoking.

The infamous scene that has revolted so many people is the least interesting part of the film.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Has anyone re-watched this? What did you think? Did you discover things that you may have overlooked the first time?

I can totally see this film becoming a cult favorite.

It is certainly thought-provoking.

The infamous scene that has revolted so many people is the least interesting part of the film.

I did. I hadn't read yet that the sounds were actually Jen's voice distorted, so I will pay attention to that next time....Aronofsky wasn't kidding when he said she 'was the score'!  I did notice new things, but mostly I was able to appreciate aspects of it more. The first time I was reacting quite a bit and didn't really have the luxury of dwelling.  It is extremely well made.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, trifle said:

I did. I hadn't read yet that the sounds were actually Jen's voice distorted, so I will pay attention to that next time....Aronofsky wasn't kidding when he said she 'was the score'!  I did notice new things, but mostly I was able to appreciate aspects of it more. The first time I was reacting quite a bit and didn't really have the luxury of dwelling.  It is extremely well made.

Same here.

I guess the first time is just the visceral reaction; you just take things in on a superficial level...

Second time I tried to play closer attention and read between the lines, you know, all that good stuff.

I still think it's a fascinating film and yes, very well made.

Interestingly enough, as you saw, the movie did not drop this past weekend as badly as we all expected.

I wonder if the whole "OMG, this film is soooooooo bad you won't believe it!!!" is actually having the effect of making people curious.

This might be considered a failure, but boy, I'd rather have an interesting, thought-provoking, memorable "failure" than an utterly run-of-the-mill, assembly-line, middle-of-the-road success that everyone will forget in a couple of months.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1