kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

Great pictures but maybe a little spoilery if you haven't seen the movie:

Spoiler

Deleted!  The spoiler tag didn't cover them!!!  I'll post them next week I guess.

--

edit, I posted them in the review thread, for anyone who wants to see them and doesn't care about spoilers.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, trifle said:

so @Cochofles that is how she usually is with acting. That one long, intense scene in this movie where she couldn't just snap out of it was the first time she's mentioned she couldn't just put it down.

Thanks for sharing this, @trifle

It must have been horrible to inhabit the skin of a character that was going through the stuff "mother" went through, especially in that scene, and not be able to "switch it off." I know that it would be easy to dismiss this with some silly, snarky "why can't she just act?" comment, but everyone is different (duh!); what works for one actor does not work for another (no shit!). The mind is such a complicated, confusing, inexplicable thing. :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Thanks for sharing this, @trifle

It must have been horrible to inhabit the skin of a character that was going through the stuff "mother" went through, especially in that scene, and not be able to "switch it off." I know that it would be easy to dismiss this with some silly, snarky "why can't she just act?" comment, but everyone is different (duh!); what works for one actor does not work for another (no shit!). The mind is such a complicated, confusing, inexplicable thing. :(

It is more of "how" do you act? And if you do it by feeling the emotions you are portraying, then to feel emotions that dark, you have to go pretty dark yourself.  I think that is probably the more common way to act. What else would you do, just 'make faces' while not feeling anything?  I can't imagine you'd put on a very good performance that way.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, trifle said:

It is more of "how" do you act? And if you do it by feeling the emotions you are portraying, then to feel emotions that dark, you have to go pretty dark yourself.  I think that is probably the more common way to act. What else would you do, just 'make faces' while not feeling anything?  I can't imagine you'd put on a very good performance that way.

Well, there are a couple of actors I could name who always seem to do just that. :D

Not naming names (but Jen, of course, is not one of them)...

I am very curious as to how the award guilds/boards will receive this role. I know that there always seems to be a little "star-envy" going on after stars become stars, but she was, in my opinion, award-worthy here. It will be interesting to see how the SAG awards respond to this, for example. 

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Well, there are a couple of actors I could name who always seem to do just that. :D

Not naming names (but Jen, of course, is not one of them)...

I am very curious as to how the award guilds/boards will receive this role. I know that there always seems to be a little "star-envy" going on after stars become stars, but she was, in my opinion, award-worthy here. It will be interesting to see how the SAG awards respond to this, for example. 

Well.... when people have favorites who have not been recognized and someone is recognized young and fairly often, that can make you unpopular in certain circles.  And I have read interviews with unnamed SAG members who have specifically declared that the SAG awards are to give visibility to someone who has not yet had their big break (although Streep obviously had, etc, but she is an exception, generally.)  But there are also the people who won't see a movie that doesn't leave you feeling good unless they pretty much have to - and if people are downplaying the possibility for awards for mother! regardless of how good Jen is, a bunch just will decide not to watch it, likely.  If she would attend more screenings, I think people would want to go and would see it, but at this point I am not sure if lack of awards would meant they didn't like it - or they didn't see it.

Obviously, I'm biased, but it is my sincere opinion that it would take top of career performances from the other actresses in contention to possibly match Jen's acting in mother! particularly given that it is acting against type, and given the difficulty and sheer duration of the performance.  Had this opened in platform and not gotten a cinemascore, or had it been a more accessible movie in other ways, I think Jen would have a much higher chance of awards.  As it is, I am hoping the passion in the votes for her will translate to something somewhere, but if it doesn't, I still think doing the movie was good for her.  So much for people who tried to say she always played the same role (not that that was ever true.)

I'm wondering about a BAFTA nomination, since this went down so well in England, but I'm not expecting anything until it materializes.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

DLOPTUlXoAAdPE0.jpg

This is Art.

and also acting. It isn't like she has another actor to engage with in the over 60 minutes of close ups she had.  I was putting these in the review thread, but I guess the two weeks is up and people will expect spoilers here.  It still hasn't opened in some places, believe it or not.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, trifle said:

and also acting. It isn't like she has another actor to engage with in the over 60 minutes of close ups she had.  I was putting these in the review thread, but I guess the two weeks is up and people will expect spoilers here.  It still hasn't opened in some places, believe it or not.

It's grossed a whopping $35 million worldwide...of course it's believable.

• Like 1

According to Comscore it's opened in 40 territories.

IMDB has these territories listed yet to open - HK, SK and Japan look to be the only major ones left.

Hong Kong     5 October 2017     
Trinidad and Tobago     11 October 2017     
Egypt     19 October 2017     
Greece     19 October 2017     
Croatia     19 October 2017     
Hungary     19 October 2017     
Israel     19 October 2017     
South Korea     19 October 2017     
Slovakia     19 October 2017     
Romania     20 October 2017     
Lithuania     27 October 2017     
Czech Republic     2 November 2017     
Poland     3 November 2017     
Bulgaria     8 December 2017     
Japan     19 January 2018    

• Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 11:08 PM, trifle said:

so @Cochofles that is how she usually is with acting. That one long, intense scene in this movie where she couldn't just snap out of it was the first time she's mentioned she couldn't just put it down.

The Jlaw light switch thing, probably one of the most fascinating thing about Jlaw.

I have been hearing about this since the Hunger Games promo tour.

Gary Ross, the whole Hunger Games cast, Francis Lawrence, DOR, they all talk about it when mentionning Jlaw.

One of the main reasons she s considred a freak of nature by her peers, her ability to quote all the lines of Dumb of Dumber a few seconds before doing a grief/death scene.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

Sadly, It lost almost 74% of theaters this week. :(

DLdtMAuX4AAzvca.jpg

Yeah, I'm looking overseas more than domestic (and a lot of pundits don't even CARE about overseas).  I'm not expecting miracles, and for the type of movie it is, I think it is doing well.  But I'm also of the opinion the budget was closer to $15M than $30M.