kayumanggi

UNDERWATER | Fox | 10 JAN 2020 | William Eubank to direct

18 hours ago, nick64 said:

This was fine. I really liked the ending, but the middle dragged a bit and it was sometimes confusing visually, especially in regards to who is in the suit on screen. But otherwise solidly directed with some nice cinematography and sound work that are good at building tension. Characters were bland but that’s totally expected.

T.J. Miller was AWFUL though. Literally every time he opened his mouth was a joke attempt and not one landed.

6/10

I know you've already mentioned the characters were bland, but how was Kristen Stewart in general?

TJ Miller 😂...I first really noticed him in Transformers: Age of Extinction? I dont remember him in Cloverfield. Not really into the comedy genre so I missed a lot of that stuff. 

Since then I've seen him in roles in movies I watch. Man...this is a funny, funny dude 😂. He's like a walking cartoon. 

In Deadpool 2, he's acting like a toughguy, that's gonna refuse to give up info to Cable. As Cable is getting ready to torcher the info out of him, TJ is talking tough, while at the same time revealing the info Cable wants 😂!

Here, OMG he plays another comical character 😂...

10 hours ago, JB33 said:

I know you've already mentioned the characters were bland, but how was Kristen Stewart in general?

She was good for what she was given. More of a physical role than a dramatic one, but she does well with both aspects when necessary. The cast overall was very good, with Miller being my only gripe (and I typically think he's decently funny, but just really out of place here).

Edited by nick64
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, JB33 said:

Um...it was the typical woman power role that's in style now, nothing new...the men are incompetent...that's going on here...

TJ Miller was the standout. Not every (sci-fi) horror film has to be totally dark and gloomy! I liked the comedy relief he brought to the movie. 

On 1/11/2020 at 3:36 AM, dudalb said:

It all depends on the movie, you can't criticize Disney for refusing to spend money on a film they think is crappy and is going to bomb no matter what.

Here's my problem. This is the third Fox movie to open under $10 million in the past 6 months and none of them were outright terrible movies. Worse movies from other studios have done better because they made some effort. There are going to be more Fox movies that will bomb in the next few months. There is a larger dynamic in play here and that's Disney doesn't know what to do with movies that don't fit under Disney umbrella of movies.  It is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/10/2020 at 5:06 PM, dudalb said:

It all depends on the movie, you can't criticize Disney for refusing to spend money on a film they think is crappy and is going to bomb no matter what.

They thought this movie was crappy and yet it has a 53% on RT right now. No that's not great but other Disney films have gotten bigger marketing campaigns and ended up being far worse. If every Fox movie that is in the 50% range on RT is going to get this kind of treatment then why did Disney bother purchasing the studio? 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Nova said:

They thought this movie was crappy and yet it has a 53% on RT right now. No that's not great but other Disney films have gotten bigger marketing campaigns and ended up being far worse. If every Fox movie that is in the 50% range on RT is going to get this kind of treatment then why did Disney bother purchasing the studio? 

The library, TV channels, a few "franchises" (movies and TV)... Mostly it was for Disney+, Hulu, and the future of "content" distribution in general. Killing a rival movie studio was just a bonus.

Disney didn't need to spend $70 billion to produce mid-budget movies for adults, it just isn't part of their business plan or ambitions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nova said:

They thought this movie was crappy and yet it has a 53% on RT right now. No that's not great but other Disney films have gotten bigger marketing campaigns

A movie like say Tomorrowland had quite more budget, people and was a studio production.

Here it was not even a Fox production, they were just a distributor for points ? not exposed to the production cost if I did read correctly, quite easier to bail out of it in that case.

On 1/11/2020 at 2:25 PM, OdinSon2k14 said:

Um...it was the typical woman power role that's in style now, nothing new...the men are incompetent...that's going on here...

TJ Miller was the standout. Not every (sci-fi) horror film has to be totally dark and gloomy! I liked the comedy relief he brought to the movie. 

Ugh, I hate that. Do female characters need the male characters to be brought down just to lift them up? I don't think so.

That's a real shame, especially when Kristen Stewart has limited appeal to begin with for me.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:25 PM, OdinSon2k14 said:

On 1/13/2020 at 1:59 AM, JB33 said:

Ugh, I hate that. Do female characters need the male characters to be brought down just to lift them up? I don't think so.

Haven’t you two sat through decades of action films where the woman is eye candy, barely says anything and has one 10 second fight scene towards the end? 

I know I have. 

let’s not act like the female character suddenly having more to do is a “trope”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Haven’t you two sat through decades of action films where the woman is eye candy, barely says anything and has one 10 second fight scene towards the end? 

I know I have. 

let’s not act like the female character suddenly having more to do is a “trope”. 

Nobody said a female character having more to do is a bad thing. I specifically said it's annoying when filmmakers have to contrast that with stupid, useless male characters.

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Nobody said a female character having more to do is a bad thing. I specifically said it's annoying when filmmakers have to contrast that with stupid, useless male characters.

Which is what has been happening for literally decades, the opposite way round. 

8 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Which is what has been happening for literally decades, the opposite way round. 

Ever hear the expression "Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right".

BTW, automatically stanning for any film that has a female lead regardless of whether the film is any good or not is pretty silly.

• Like 1