CJohn

Dora and the Lost City of Gold | August 9, 2019 | Paramount | Live-Action Adaptation | James Bobin directing | Isabela Moner to play Dora

Wow is about all I can say for this movie...

I have to agree with so many posters...I don't know who is supposed to watch this movie.

Rarely have I seen a group get a source character so wrong - what about this is "Dora"?  Last time I checked, she's not an embarrassment (the jump scene - what?), she's not 17 acting 10, she's not uncool, she's not Rambo (what's with all the real weapons - pull out the map, not the knife)...I could keep going on, but it looks like they were hoping to make a cross between Jumanji 3 and Tomb Raider, and it fails in the trailer completely and utterly.

With this trailer, I don't think I'd even go with free tickets...

4 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Wait what? This looks fun and charming and y’all yelling about it?

Tele thinking a live-action Dora the Explorer movie looks good feels like one of the Biblical signs of the Apocalypse.

(haven't watched the trailer because this movie definitely isn't for me at all so I have no stake in this fight)

Edited by filmlover

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Tele no offense but is there a reason why you're so invested in this movie being well liked?

I have no investment in this movie — I just find fanboy rationale wildly hypocritical. This movie looks no better or worse than 90% of other would-be tentpoles but because it’s not part of the approved list of Favored Blockbusters* everyone’s gonna shit on it.  

(*tentpoles aimed at the same batch of 16-45 year old dudes)

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

On 3/23/2019 at 6:46 PM, Napoleon said:

Never saw the cartoon but this movie looks fun

4 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Wait what? This looks fun and charming and y’all yelling about it?

Napoleon and Tele on the same side of a movie. 

Huh.

This is either gonna do really really well or completely bomb.  Don't think there's much middle ground with that indicator. ;)

• Haha 3

Honestly I don't think this looks bad. It looks cute but I'm just confused what the target audience is. I feel most people above the age of like 8 would think that a Dora movie was too lame but then they aged up he character and set it in high school. Is Dora still even popular among today's kids?

• Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

I have no investment in this movie — I just find fanboy rationale wildly hypocritical. This movie looks no better or worse than 90% of other would-be tentpoles but because it’s not part of the approved list of Favored Blockbusters everyone’s gonna shit on it.  

Yeah but Tele that's just your opinion there. I think it's tone is wildly off for something intended for younger kids and by the way the movie is framed it at least wants a pre-teen or teenage audience, something that Dora the show just is not intended for. I don't think you can say that about most of the other fanboy franchises ((Comics have been more teen and adult centric since the 70s and even stuff like Transfomers has had multiple adult/teenage centric entries)). Dora is for Pre-schoolers and that's fine, but the movie just is not trying to go for that audience. If this was an animated film done by say Illumination or Dreamworks, no one would be ragging on it. It's just funny the way Paramount is trying to use a franchise intended to help educate small children like it's a new hot property.

From the trailer, it looks like they left the National Geographic part out of the movie out

Next time they make an Interstellar movie, they should leave the science out of it

That is why I think the crowds will shit on Dora before seeing it,

the new Ninja Turtles sucked too!

And how old are you, Mulder?

My son saw the trailer and was fairly delighted by it. I have no idea whether we’ll see it or not, or whether he’ll like it when he does. But the internet is stuffed to the gills with 20-something and 30-something dudes acting like the tone police and arbiters of what an adaption should or shouldn’t be. Some are well-meaning, some aren’t. But my takeaway is that maybe we all should just shut up and let a movie exist without us giving our opinion on something that frankly seems to be not aimed at us at all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

And how old are you, Mulder?

My son saw the trailer and was fairly delighted by it. I have no idea whether we’ll see it or not, or whether he’ll like it when he does. But the internet is stuffed to the gills with 20-something and 30-something dudes acting like the tone police and arbiters of what an adaption should or shouldn’t be. Some are well-meaning, some aren’t. But my takeaway is that maybe we all should just shut up and let a movie exist without us giving our opinion on something that frankly seems to be not aimed at us at all. 

I'm glad your son's into it and that's fine. I'm not really going to argue this because you just seem very personally into this movie and I'd rather not get on your bad side, I just don't see the difference in how this is being treated vs literally any movie that could be summed up as "Not intended for a certain audience". Boss Baby got hit with this, 50 Shades got hit with this, it's just how it is. ((And yes I'm 20 but just from the tone of the trailer and some things it has like Dora with a knife of all things, they're not trying to solely aim this at young kids but hey maybe I'm wrong.))

• Like 1