CJohn

Dora and the Lost City of Gold | August 9, 2019 | Paramount | Live-Action Adaptation | James Bobin directing | Isabela Moner to play Dora

35 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Ah yes, because if there's one property that might be a bit too intense for kids without an adult around, it's Dora the Explorer.

It's silly because it's Dora the Explorer, but the movie probably will be a little "edgier" (if that's the right word) than the actual cartoon, which is strictly for preschoolers and under.

45 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

lmao the hollywood reporter review seems annoyed that a dora the explorer movie is aimed at kids. I can't. 

Edited by ban1o

kids movies are stupid.  listen to the way they talk and act in the movies.

maxresdefault.jpg

then they start talking like they do.  it is bad for the brain from what i remember.  i can't believe adults still play that stuff as background music for kids.  who thought up all this animation for kids with the sound effects?  such awful taste. 

3 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

THR review is errrr not what I'd expect for a review of Dora The Explorer

What keeps things alive, up to a point, is the imperturbable attitude of the titular heroine, who is invested with try-and-stop-me spirit by Moner, who's actually 18 and looks it despite preventative measures. The same goes for Wahlberg, who's 19. There's a palpable gap you can't help but notice between the essentially innocent, borderline-pubescent nature of the leading characters and the film itself, and the more confident and mature vibes emanating from the leading actors. The director seems to be trying to keep the hormones at bay, but there are some things you just can't disguise, perhaps human nature first and foremost. Dora seems committed to projecting a pre-sexualized version of youth, while throbbing unacknowledged beneath the surface is something a bit more real, its presence rigorously ignored. To be believed, this story should have been set in 1955.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 7
  • Knock It Off 2

Read the whole THR review to see if it came off any better...nope, just as creepy/strange. I guess we found the guy who really wanted the sexed up Michael Bay version of Dora that everyone joked about when this movie was announced. 

Anyway, that review mentions that Diego is played by Jeff Wahlberg-yes, those Wahlbergs, Mark and Donnie are his uncles, and his mother is Dominican. Learned something new!

My wife saw her first trailer for this over the weekend. 

She said, "Dora has her Learners Permit I see?"

Yep, she is aged up a good 5yrs + over the cartoon.

Then she saw Eugenio Derbez, whom we saw in the Overboard remake, and both felt he was great in that. I don't care what RT score says that film is a funny remake. Anyway she said, I'll see that at some point just for him.

So at some point, probably over Winter Break(she is a school librarian) I may see this film.

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Read the whole THR review to see if it came off any better...nope, just as creepy/strange. I guess we found the guy who really wanted the sexed up Michael Bay version of Dora that everyone joked about when this movie was announced. 

it's such a creepy review lmao. like it's a kids movie. WTF is he talking about. I'm actually a little concerned lol. 

Yeah I knew Jeff was half dominican.  I think I follow Donnie on twitter for some reason and he congratulated him when he was cast and someone asked if he was latino lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AJG said:

THR review is errrr not what I'd expect for a review of Dora The Explorer

This is totally believable based on the *Producer* and casting.  Isn't this what many here were talking about when this thing was cast, anyway? 

The reviewer is commenting on what's sneaking through the surface of these performances, human chemistry.  And yeah, theoretically, it shouldn't even be noticeable in a movie of this subject/this material.

Edited by Macleod

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

This is totally believable based on the *Producer* and casting.  Isn't this what many here were talking about when this thing was cast, anyway? 

The reviewer is commenting on what's sneaking through the surface of these performances, human chemistry.  And yeah, theoretically, it shouldn't even be noticeable in a movie of this subject/this material.

yikes dude. Delete this.

Human chemistry between who? Diego and Dora are cousins....  People are really pervs who wanted to see a sexualized Dora movie? I don't expect the movie to get great reviews but the review is just weird. The reviewer insists it should take place in the 50s because it's "squeaky clean" Says Isabela Moner "looks 18 despite preventative measures" - LIKE WTF she's playing  a 16 year old. The movie was filmed when Isabela Moner was 17...What on earth is he trying to say there... 

And then he goes on about the director trying to disguise human nature by presenting a "pre-sexualized version of the youth" and that sexuality is "throbbing unacknowledged beneath the surface" Like yes, a Dora movie is totally going to have sexualized teen characters lmao. The reviewer is a weirdo.  

33 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Producer of movies like Ice Princess and Christopher Robin? Director and writer of movies like the Muppets? Casting choice of a 17 year old latina rising actress as a famous latina character? 

Edited by ban1o

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

Human chemistry between who? Diego and Dora are cousins....  People are really pervs who wanted to see a sexualized Dora movie? I don't expect the movie to get great reviews but the review is just weird. The reviewer insists it should take place in the 50s because it's "squeaky clean" Says Isabela Moner "looks 18 despite preventative measures" - LIKE WTF she's playing  a 16 year old. The movie was filmed when Isabela Moner was 17...What on earth is he trying to say there... 

And then he goes on about the director trying to disguise human nature by presenting a "pre-sexualized version of the youth" and that sexuality is "throbbing unacknowledged beneath the surface" Like yes, a Dora movie is totally going to have sexualized teen characters lmao. The reviewer is a weirdo.  

Producer of movies like Ice Princess and Christopher Robin? Director and writer of movies like the Muppets? Casting choice of a 17 year old latina rising actress as a famous latina character? 

This is exactly why i knew sexualizing Dora herself (a young character from an animated series, even in ones where she’s a teenager) was always a bad idea. And thank god they did not do that here. Why demand a cute cartoon girl character....let alone Dora, to be all hot eye-candy and little personality.

I think Hollywood should take this note: Hotness isn’t everything if you want to have a known celebrity to be in a movie. They need to be charismatic and be into the character role as well. Always important to have acting skills over looks first.

I'm pretty sure what the THR guy is getting at is the fact that these are near 20 year olds that are playing characters that basically behave like children because of the nature of the original characters, which I'm sure is indeed strange. Yes I know that they're teens in the movie, but judging by the trailer they act the same as their pre-school cartoon counterparts. But yeah, he definitely puts it all in a very pervy way.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm pretty sure what the THR guy is getting at is the fact that these are near 20 year olds that are playing characters that basically behave like children because of the nature of the original characters, which I'm sure is indeed strange. Yes I know that they're teens in the movie, but judging by the trailer they act the same as their pre-school cartoon counterparts. But yeah, he definitely puts it all in a very pervy way.

I think if he intended to say it that way, he would have.