CJohn

Dora and the Lost City of Gold | August 9, 2019 | Paramount | Live-Action Adaptation | James Bobin directing | Isabela Moner to play Dora

Marketing for this is literally everywhere around here for this. Billboards along I-95, signs on buses, etc. Of course the rare occasion a movie would buy advertising space all over the place in this area it would be for a movie I have absolutely no interest in lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Marketing for this is literally everywhere around here for this. Billboards along I-95, signs on buses, etc. Of course the rare occasion a movie would buy advertising space all over the place in this area it would be for a movie I have absolutely no interest in lol.

Paramount marketing > Disney marketing

• Haha 1

I just don't know if all the marketing will be effective. It seems the only target is young kids and  pre teen girls but I don't think that's enough to make it a hit. I can't see people being too nostalgic about Dora  to pay money to see a live action movie.  Is Dora as popular as it used to be? It started towards the end of my childhood (I was like 6 when it was first released) but I remember it was massively popular back then. 

Edited by ban1o

6 hours ago, ban1o said:

I just don't know if all the marketing will be effective. It seems the only target is young kids and  pre teen girls but I don't think that's enough to make it a hit. I can't see people being too nostalgic about Dora  to pay money to see a live action movie.  Is Dora as popular as it used to be? It started towards the end of my childhood (I was like 6 when it was first released) but I remember it was massively popular back then. 

It was super popular for toddlers. Yet the movie is about highschool with a girl who is 18. It's insane.

On 7/30/2019 at 5:14 AM, cdsacken said:

It was super popular for toddlers. Yet the movie is about highschool with a girl who is 18. It's insane.

It makes you wonder why they chose this IP to try to kickstart a franchise in the first place. They would have been better off trying an in-house animated adaptation.

Ah well, like I said, it does look like it could be genuine fun for kids.

1 hour ago, Movies4Life said:

Good thing the early Rotten Tomatoes Score is 60% Fresh. That can hopefully help the movie out in it’s opening weekend.

I think it will end up in the 60's or 70's. Based on the reviews it was better than the marketing and it's a fun adventure film. But I don't think good reviews will really help he film that much. 

25 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

I've been getting YouTube ads for it all the time.

I haven't seen any promo besides the trailer in theatres a few times. I have to give the film credit: I've seen the trailer several times and each time I don't tune it out. That counts for something I guess.

3 hours ago, ban1o said:

I think it will end up in the 60's or 70's. Based on the reviews it was better than the marketing and it's a fun adventure film. But I don't think good reviews will really help he film that much. 

We’ll see. Right now, Box Office Pro has it pegged to open at $28M, but, considering early reviews are mostly positive, this could help Dora go into a $30M opening weekend range and maybe top Hobbs and Shaw for #1, mainly because Fast and Furious movies drop 50-60% in their second weekend. Also, it’s a kids movie so families will have to go see this movie with their kids.

1 hour ago, Movies4Life said:

We’ll see. Right now, Box Office Pro has it pegged to open at $28M, but, considering early reviews are mostly positive, this could help Dora go into a $30M opening weekend range and maybe top Hobbs and Shaw for #1, mainly because Fast and Furious movies drop 50-60% in their second weekend. Also, it’s a kids movie so families will have to go see this movie with their kids.

$30M would be fantastic for Dora! not that I'm stanning for it or anything but we need other movies to succeed at the box office.

On 7/30/2019 at 8:14 AM, cdsacken said:

Not really, how many movies these days star 7 year olds as the lead? In the later versions of the show, Dora is apparently 10-11 years old but you don't get that many movies starring kids that age either, especially not action movies. Lower budget comedies or awards dramas, maybe.

It might not have been a bad idea to make a movie cheap, have middle school-ish actors and if it's a success, they could've cranked out a sequel or two before Dora and friends are obviously adults. But a high school story is a safer bet to Hollywood. The Harry Potter movies probably only got to keep the characters as tweens when it started because the books were so popular already, and Rowling had a lot of power compared to most creators. 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl