Quigley

GREECE: 'Kung Fu Panda 4' scores biggest opening of the franchise, 4th best for DreamWorks Animation

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

avg. ticket price translates to about 7$. The admissions have taken a nosedive in the last 5 years due to the economic situation., theatres even lowered ticket prices for the first time since I can remember to battle the huge drop.

I see. Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, Wonka said:

Fortunately the Romanian admissions continues to grow every year since '08 and the price of ticket as well, the avg. price is about 5$ if i'm not wrong.I hope Greece to recover, wonder how TFA will do in terms of admissions

Yeah. After this coming weekend the RO market will break through the 11m admissioon border for the first time ever. The increase is about 1m adm every year which is pretty big. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wonka said:

Fortunately the Romanian admissions continues to grow every year since '08 and the price of ticket as well, the avg. price is about 5$ if i'm not wrong.I hope Greece to recover, wonder how TFA will do in terms of admissions

It has a shot of being the biggest in the franchise even in this harsh market enviroment, if only because both the prequels and the OT were never that big in Greece.

On 23/12/2015 at 5:58 PM, James said:

@quigquag33 I see that the Greek market is more or less similar to the Romanian one in terms of admissions. How is it in USD (I'm guessing the ticket prices are way bigger than here)? How many adm are sold yearly?  

I don't know what sales are like in USD or EUR [UPDATE: go to Page 4 for table with grosses]. If you have the time you can add up the grosses at Box Office Mojo for each year and let us know. Otherwise I may do it later. The admissions have been around an average of 10-11M for the past decade.

Year Tickets (millions)
2008 10.4
2009 12.3
2010 11.7
2011 10.8
2012 10.1
2013 9.2
2014 9.0

(Latest update to the above table and text: Feb 2016. Data now should be accurate)

Here are also 2 interesting articles, one for the 2012 box office and one for 2015:

http://variety.com/2012/film/news/greek-box-office-tragedy-1118062148/

http://variety.com/2015/biz/global/greece-box-office-increases-2015-1201665056/

Edited by Quigley
  • Like 3

'Worlds Apart' earned 165,000 admissions in one week (Thursday to Wednesday). If the report is accurate then it made 70,000 fron Monday to Wednesday, which is 75% of what it made during its first four days. [EDIT: The daily average during its first four days is the same as the daily average during days 5 to 7.] Very impressive. It seems like no Star Wars can stop this train.

Source: http://www.altsantiri.gr/lifestyle/espase-tamia-tenia-tou-papakaliati-165-000-isitiria-se-mia-evdomada/

Edited by quigquag33
  • Like 3

Sorry guys for pushing your expectations too high. Another report just came out saying that the film earned 137,128 admissions, around the same number that 'Furious 7' earned. Still a very impressive figure and all I can say is that it's gonna be an interesting race to the top, between 'Spectre', 'Worlds Apart' and 'Star Wars 7', for the title of biggest 2015 film.

http://news.in.gr/culture/article/?aid=1500048500

• Like 2

http://flix.gr/news/star-wars-greek-box-office.html

WOW. No one saw that coming. The prequels according to this article for their entire run:

Phantome Menace  190.000 adm

Attack of the Clones  120.000 adm

Revenge of the Sith  143.000 adm

The Force Awakens 137.000 adm from 3,5 days only

Keep in mind that the prequel numbers look ok-ish in today's emviroment, but back in early 00s the were downright mediocre for a big franchise movie, even TPMs 190.000 admissions could barely make it to the yearly top20 if at all. Even with Spectre and Furious 7 legs this will go over 350.000 adm, in a market that's shrinking for half a decade now. I thought the best case scenario prior to release was somewhere between 80-90.000 adm. OW and comfortably outgrossing TPM. Now it has a shot at outgrossing the 3 prequels combined total!

453.000 admissions is the magic number. I think it can do it.

• Like 2

Weekend 24-27/12/2015

Ranking Title Weekend admissions % Change from last weekend Total admissions Week
1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens 137,128 N/A

2 Ένας Άλλος Κόσμος (Enas Allos Kosmos; aka Worlds Apart) [GR] 79,415 -16.7% 243,015 2
3 The Good Dinosaur 35,876 32.1% 75,634 2
4 Joy 11,312 N/A 11,312 1
5 Point Break 8,843 N/A 8,843 1
6 Ουζερί Τσιτσάνης (Ouzeri Tsitsanis) [GR] 3,385 -54.7% 102,828 4
7 Bridge of Spies 2,936 -64.6% 132,180 5
8 Carol 2,762 -52.4% 37,746 4
9 Spectre 2,391 -58.8% 481,556 7
10 Hotel Transylvania 2 2,344 64.3% 167,231 10

Source: http://flix.gr/news/box-office-24122015.html

http://freecinema.gr/greek-box-office-the-force-was-strong-with-christmas/

http://www.grandmagazine.gr/ngine/article/2854/may-the-force-be-with-the-box-office-ellinikos-8riambos-gia-to-star-wars

As if there weren't enough puns already about 'the force' in every single corner of the Internet, the impact of 'Star Wars 7' on the market was truly forceful. Christmas was forceful too though, in a different way. Entering with a few hundred tickets less than 'Furious 7', 'The Force Awakens' scored the 4th biggest opening of the year, the biggest opening for its franchise and Disney's biggest opening since 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides' (153,500 admissions). There is no need to point out that other newcomers were essentially non-existent. On one hand, I think the holidays could help such films like 'Joy' and 'Point Break' reach respectable totals, but on the other, the critic and audience ratings on Rotten Tomatoes are not very promising (to the extent that the Americans' preferences can be extrapolated to the Greeks). There is not much else to say for 'Star Wars' yet: as Joel M said, 350,000 admissions is the bare minimum, with a total above to 500,000 admissions not out of the question. The same number is one that 'Worlds Apart' is targeting. Excluding Christmas Eve's 7,074 admission take, Papakaliatis's modern romance drama scored a daily average of about 24,000 admissions during its second weekend, which is in fact slightly higher than its first-weekend daily average and its weekday daily average. If its daily average remains steady for the remainder of the holidays (through January 7), a final total above 500,000 admissions is a foregone conclusion and, in that case, 'What If...'s total is well within reach (531,447 admissions). I shall avoid comparing week-to-week grosses with 'What If...' since their release dates were very different.

If that wasn't enough, the good news doesn't stop there. The news was as good as Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur' (yeah, I agree, you can shoot me for that one), which actually increased during its second weekend. Even with 'The Little Prince' coming out next weekend, it is safe to say this film can reach a total of 150,000 admissions, if not more. Equally, 'Hotel Transylvania 2' remained in the Top 10 for a 10th week - a remarkable and rare feat. For the past few weeks, it's been maintaining momentum and could potentially get into the 2015's Top 10 highest-grossing films, although this greatly depends on how many screens it can keep next weekend and how big 'The Good Dinosaur' and 'The Little Prince' will end up being. Other animated films that had good holds or even increases were 'The Peanuts Movie', 'Mune', 'Inside Out' and 'Minions'.

In contrast to the forceful positive impact of Christmas on the above films, the forceful negative impact of 'Star Wars 7' was felt by most other films. 'Ouzeri Tsitsanis', 'Bridge of Spies', 'Carol', 'Spectre', 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2' and 'Goosebumps' all fell precipitously, together with most hopes for anything better than a mediocre admisison total (based on prior expectations). 'The Lobster' and 'Youth' had nice increases and have already reached respectable totals - taking into account the small number of theatres at which they were playing. More next week but for now enjoy the holidays!

Edited by quigquag33
  • Like 5

Weekend 31/12/2015 - 03/01/2016

Ranking Title Weekend admissions % Change from last weekend Total admissions Week
1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens 67,992 -50.4% 291,351 2
2 Ένας Άλλος Κόσμος (Enas Allos Kosmos; aka Worlds Apart)[GR] 59,215 -25.4% 370,711 3
3 The Little Prince 27,015 N/A 27,015 1
4 In the Heart of the Sea 26,077 N/A 26,077 1
5 The Good Dinosaur 23,906 -33.4% 125,085 3
6 Joy 7,683 -32.1% 26,296 2
7 Point Break 4,461 -49.6% 20,123 2
8 Ουζερί Τσιτσάνης (Ouzeri Tsitsanis) [GR] 3,777 +11.6% 108,974 5
9 Brooklyn 3,195 N/A 3,195 1
10 Belle et Sebastien: L'aventure Continue (French) 2,831 N/A 2,831 1

Source: http://www.grandmagazine.gr/ngine/article/2862/fotospa8a-vs-xartomantilon-o-tamiakos-antagonismos-sunexizetai-aka8ektos

http://freecinema.gr/greek-box-office-the-force-awakens-drops-at-half/

Cinemas were running full steam this week, with most films making more on weekdays than the weekend. The drops may look a bit too high but that is because New Year's Eve and New Year's Day fell on a Thursday and a Friday, which are counted as part of the weekend. During these two days, business was non-existent since most people were celebrating with friends and family. 'Star Wars 7' did admittedly drop more than expected - its second Saturday and Sunday dropped about a third from the corresponding days last weekend - but the holidays will continue until, and including, January 7 for schools and universities. With the only non-holiday day of the following week being a Friday, I doubt we will see any dramatic drop in attendance for most films. The attendance total for 'Star Wars 7' by its second Sunday is still far ahead of that for 'Worlds Apart' (291,351 vs 243,015), however there are signs that 'Worlds Apart' will have greater endurance: on Sunday it out-grossed 'Star Wars 7' by a bit and, when excluding the 31st and 1st, its daily average throughout the week was still around 23,000 admissions. The only thing in its way is 'Notias', Tasos Boulmetis's first film since 'Touch of Spice' (that small film that earned north of 1.25 million admissions and is estimated to have earned much more). However, that comes out on the 14th of January so a first-place finish for 'Worlds Apart' next weekend is not out of the question.

'The Little Prince' and 'In the Heart of the Sea' both had solid openings but nothing unexpected for a New Year weekend. 'The Good Dinosaur', on the other hand, continued nearly unabated with more tickets between Monday and Wednesday than on the weekend (as I said, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day were very quiet so these numbers are in no way concerning). 'Joy' remains disappointing with its 11-day total matching what 'The Little Prince' and 'In the Heart of the Sea' made in 4 days. 'Point Break' fared even worse. They did open amidst blockbusters but they were wide releases and had every chance to succeed. Same stands for 'Belle et Sebastien 2', which had a terrible 86 admission per-theater average - something not unusual for French family films in the market (excluding 'Astérix et Obélix'). 'Brooklyn' had an OKish opening in just 10 theaters, as did 'The Assassin' (1,204 admissions in 3 theaters) and 'Marviglioso Boccaccio' (880 admissions in 3 theaters). Finally, 'Ouzeri Tsitsanis' posted a small, yet insignificant, increase, with its total unlikely to exceed 120,000 admissions.

• Like 4

2015 had just 26 movies over 100.000 admissions (probably the lowest since the early 90s) but the same as 2014. The difference is that the hits this year were substantially bigger than last years so it might be the first year since the crisis started that wasn't worst than the previous one. The market finally hit rock bottom last year it seems.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Joel M said:

2015 had just 26 movies over 100.000 admissions (probably the lowest since the early 90s) but the same as 2014. The difference is that the hits this year were substantially bigger than last years so it might be the first year since the crisis started that wasn't worst than the previous one. The market finally hit rock bottom last year it seems.

I think it doesn't have to do with the market itself. A lot of European markets saw increases this year compared to last year and I think it all has to do with the popularity of the Hollywood films in Europe. 2014 saw few big successes because there was nothing very interesting (Maleficent, Trans4rmers, three B-class superhero films, Hobbit 3 and Hunger Games 3). 2015 films were bound to be more popular.

• Like 1

Weekend 07-10/01/2016

1 Ένας Άλλος Κόσμος (Enas Allos Kosmos; aka Worlds Apart) [GR] 52,986 -10.5% 481,122 4
2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens 35,799 -47.3% 378,687 3
3 The Hateful Eight 26,602 N/A 26,602 1
4 The Big Short 17,910 N/A 17,910 1
5 The Little Prince 17,727 -34.4% 66,738 2
6 In the Heart of the Sea 14,872 -43.0% 62,569 2
7 The Good Dinosaur 14,842 -37.9% 156,535 4
8 Joy 3,738 -51.3% 35,998 3
9 Ουζερί Τσιτσάνης (Ouzeri Tsitsanis) [GR] 2,125 -43.7% 113,968 6
10 Point Break 1,790 -59.9% 26,208 3

Source: http://www.grandmagazine.gr/ngine/article/2872/oi-giortes-teleiosan-oxi-omos-kai-i-eispraktikh-fora-tou-allou-kosmou

'Worlds Apart' was, as expected, the winner of the weekend. The % drop, however, beat even the most optimistic expectations. It is now guaranteed to surpass Papakaliatis's first directorial effort 'What If...' and may well be headed for 600,000 admissions. The latter will be determined by next week's drop, since 'Notias' is bound heat up the box office and blow away the competition. 'Star Wars 7', on the other hand, continued its trajectory with another big % drop. It is already the third biggest film of the year, a position it will likely retain but not improve. 'Spectre' grossed a third weekend of about 39,000 admissions, with a total of about 407,000 admissions by its third Sunday. Both figures are higher than those for 'Star Wars 7'.

'The Hateful Eight' and 'The Big Short' had solid openings. 'The Little Prince' and 'In the Heart of the Sea' had good holds but neither are heading for more than 100,000 admissions. 'Joy' and 'Point Break' continued their anemic run. 'The Good Dinosaur' had another solid hold and is headed for a position in the year's Top 10. Its opening did not bode well for the film but it has surprised since then, maintaining an impressive dynamic. I'll do a comparison with other Pixar films soon. Finally, 'Ouzeri Tsitsanis' is near the end of its underwhelming run. The only other newcomer of the week, 'Nahid' sold 938 admission in 2 theaters, scoring a similar per-theater average to the other newcomers and the third biggest of the weekend.

Everyone's attention is now towards next weekend's 'Notias' (literally translates to 'auster' or 'sirocco'). Can its director's connection to 'Touch of Spice' help it score 100,000 admissions on its opening? Bet away...

• Like 6

'Worlds Apart' has sold more than 500,000 admissions. The sources say it achieved this "in its first month of release". If by "month" they meant its first 30 days, its 30th day is today, Friday the 15th. This is impossible so the number is either up to and including Wednesday the 13th, and maybe Thursday the 14th. In any case, this is perfect timing since 'Notias' was released on Thursday, so 'Worlds Apart' will be facing fierce competition from now on.

http://www.koutipandoras.gr/article/160007/pano-apo-500000-eisitiria-gia-tin-tainia-enas-allos-kosmos-toy-hristoforoy

• Like 2

Weekend 14-17/01/2016

1 Νοτιάς (Notias) 41,886 N/A 41,886 1
2 Ένας Άλλος Κόσμος (Enas Allos Kosmos; aka Worlds Apart) [GR] 33,957 -35.9% 549,101 5
3 The Hateful Eight 18,602 -30.1% 62,501 2
4 Star Wars: The Force Awakens 17,424 -51.3% 413,026 4
5 The Big Short 15,424 -13.9% 43,240 2
6 Secret in their Eyes 11,548 N/A 11,548 1
7 The Little Prince 11,027 -37.8% 79,875 3
8 The Good Dinosaur 9,612 -35.2% 167,911 5
9 In the Heart of the Sea 5,506 -63.0% 76,260 3
10 Rams 1,700 N/A 1,700 1

Source: http://www.flix.gr/news/box-office-14012016.html

This weekend was less heated than I expected. 'Notias' lagged in relation to almost all comparable films: 'Touch of Spice' (65,000 admissions), 'Brides' (60,000), 'El Greco' (141,000), 'God Loves Caviar' (85,116), 'Little England' (60,312) all earned significantly more on their opening weekend, and in some cases from much less screens. I personally find it hypocritical when big American media outlets make predictions about films before their release that turn out to be very inaccurate, but they then immediately write a piece on "Why [insert film title] flopped?" or "How [insert film title] broke the opening-weekend record". If they know reasons for this, why did they not use them prior to its release to make a more accurate prediction? In any case, I have to say I found the opening of 'Notias' disappointing to say the least and I was anticipating an opening nearer to 100,000 admissions. Its opening-weekend figure could be seen in a more positive light if it had at least been around 60,000 admissions. Comparing it to the above Greek films, though, I can see that its lack of direct connection to any historical figures or events was a major drawback. Furthermore, all these films were released before the Christmas holidays and built up word-of-mouth by the time Christmas had arrived. Although I doubt this has much to do with its underwhelming performance, its post-holiday release could have contributed to a certain extent, since people may have felt it is too early to pursue another trip to the cinemas. It was also attached to very big names (Evanthia Reboutsika, a renowned music composer in Greece, and the director of 'Touch of Spice'), but it did admittedly resemble 'Touch of Spice' a bit too much. Another factor may have been the ongoing popularity 'Worlds Apart', which continues to roam, with a 5th weekend above 30,000 admissions. Finally, reviews were not fantastic so maybe word-of-mouth was also not great. It may be that all these factors together resulted in this opening, but for all I know, the actual reasons may be completely different. I don't wanna sound too gloomy though: this type of film tends to generate the biggest mulitples so I won't be surprised if it reaches 200,000 admissions and I'm (naïvely, one would say) hoping for more.

Due to the mediocre performance of this week's major opener, it may not baffle you that other films had decent drops. Apart from 'Star Wars 7' and 'In the Heart of the Sea', all films in top 10 dropped less than 40%. After the end of holidays, it became clear that Star Wars will not have an Avatar-esque run. Its precipitous drops continued this weekend as it is still lagging behind 'Spectre', which finished its 4th weekend with 20,000 admissions and a cumulative total of 444,000. 'In the Heart of the Sea', despite dropping more than 60%, has surpassed 75,000 admissions in what can only be described as a solid run. After becoming the biggest film of 2015, 'Worlds Apart' surpassed 'What If...', to become Papakaliatis's best directorial effort (he's only got two anyway). It also inched past local film 'Nisos' (548,733 admissions). Next on the list of Greek films is 'Brides' which is sitting at a comfortable distance at about 700,000 admissions. Although such a total is possible, I think 'Worlds Apart' will more likely settle for a total at about 650,000. 'The Hateful Eight' and 'The Big Short' had the best holds of the weekend, in part possibly due to their Oscar nominations, and word-of-mouth is bound to help them maintain this dynamic. 'The Good Dinosaur' is still on its way to break into the top 10 of 2015 and 'The Little Prince' may reach 100,000 admissions, definitely impressive for a non-Hollywood animated film. Other newcomers, like 'Secret in their Eyes' and 'Rams' performed well in 28 and 2 theaters, respectively. No major Greek films left for the month but there will be a significant amount of foreign competition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quigquag33 said:

If they know reasons for this, why did they not use them prior to its release to make a more accurate prediction? In any case, I have to say I found the opening of 'Notias' disappointing to say the least and I was anticipating an opening nearer to 100,000 admissions. Its opening-weekend figure could be seen in a more positive light if it had at least been around 60,000 admissions. Comparing it to the above Greek films, though, I can see that its lack of direct connection to any historical figures or events was a major drawback.

That's beyond unrealistic expectations though. The director of Notias isn't a brand name. Touch of Spice did 1.300.000+ admissions because it connected in a huge way. Loufa also did 1.300.000+ admissions and the directos next movie struggled to hit 100.000 adm. The movies were huge but 95% of the audience had no idea who the director is.

Totally different with Papakaliatis "Worlds Apart". He's a brand name in Greece. He had a run of hit TV shows in the 00s and his first two movies both went over 500.000. The big difference is that he isn't just director/writer, he also stars in all of his stuff, people know him.

That said "Notias" performance was a minor dissapointment. It didn't even have 1/10th of Worlds Apart buzz and the release date was telling as to how much the distributor expected it to make.But still, I expected at least 50.000 admissions.

Star Wars drops after the amazing OW were also worse than what I hoped. But it definately overperformed every pre-release expectation. It's gonna end up 3d biggest sci-if of all time here behind only Avatar and Matrix Reloaded, in a market that doesn't dig sci-fi movies.

I can't wait to see how much Revenant is gonna do next week. It's been all over the news because of globes/oscars and DiCaprio is a big star here. So people know it's coming.

I thought this is a good point to evaluate the run of 'The Good Dinosaur' (being a Pixar fan, although I haven't seen the film). These are the Pixar films for which I've got records. For the ones where I provide ranges, I used the mid-point of the range to calculate the mulitple.

PIXAR FILM TOTALS

Title Total Multiple
Finding Nemo 334,000 7.26
Ratatouille 312,019 4.91
Inside Out 310,104 4.94
Up 211,570 3.71
Toy Story 3 202,242 3.59
The Good Dinosaur 167,911 6.18
Cars 150,000-165,000 4.04
Wall-E 147,357 3.53
Cars 2 140,825 3.61
The Incredibles 120,000-130,000 3.23
Monsters University 90,000-100,000 4.96
Brave 85,905 4.08

As we can see, 'The Good Dinosaur' has done quite well, given its underwhelming opening (3rd lowest), finishing in the middle of the bunch. Its OW-to-total multiple is the 2nd highest (after Finding Nemo), showing how the release date can influence a movie's trajectory. It is the first Pixar film to be released on the pre-Christmas weekend, with most being released in late June or in September. The only other to be released in December is... Finding Nemo. Yeah, the multiple may be very high because of word-of-mouth but the subsequent holiday period definitely must have helped. All in all, 2015 was good year for Pixar in Greece, with (most likely) two films in the Top 10. In fact, it is interesting to note that since 2003, the years when more than one animated film made it into the Top 10 were the following: two animated films in 2006 and 2012 and three animated films in 2011 and 2013. If 'The Good Dinsoaur' makes it into the Top 10, 2015 will have three animated films in the Top 10 and it will be the first time that two of them are from the same studio. (At this point most of you are probably asleep, so I'll stop talking)

UPDATE: I couldn't help but make one more comment. The fact that multiple animated films started appearing only lately in the Yearly Top 10 begs an explanation. My hypothesis is that, because of the crisis, people have stopped going to the movies so often. However, there is one category of moviegoers, children, which is always more prone to movie advertising, and another category, their parents, who can't help but take them to the cinema every once in a while for fun. Therefore attendance for family films has dropped relatively less than it has for other films, and as a result, these films have creeped up the ranks.

Edited by quigquag33
  • Like 3