Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

35 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

And maybe you can explain it to the millions who clearly didn't:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/what-was-lex-luthors-batman-v-superman-plan.html

Awww...I was kinda hoping they could come up with some reasonable explanations.

Maybe Lex is secretly the Joker?   He was acting like him in the movie.   So maybe nothing is supposed to make sense?   At least the Joker would sort of have a reason for choosing someone as over matched as Batman to take on Superman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

That Catwoman movie with Halle Berry? Better than BvS.

That Batman and Robin movie? Better than BvS.

That Daredevil movie with Ben Affleck? Better than BvS.

I haven't seen it but I imagine even the Jennifer Garner Elektra movie is better than BvS.

Fant4stic? All the Fantastic Four movies are better than BvS.

Nope, BVS although is a bad movie, it is definitely better than those movies. However SS over BVS.

• Community Manager
10 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Lex clearly states multiple times in the film he has an issue with absolute power. It's really not hard.

So he decides to do all he can to kill Superman? That's not a motivation. :lol:

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

You can accept his motivations or not. But his motivations are clear.

But it's not really a motivation. It might be a reason but a reason is not the same thing as actual motivation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

But it's not really a motivation. It might be a reason but a reason is not the same thing as actual motivation.

The reason I go to work is to make money. My motivation is... to make money.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, ChipMunky said:

The reason I go to work is to make money. My motivation is... to make money.

I have a reason to dislike onions-tasting them makes me nauseous. I have no motivation to burn down restaurants that put onions on their food.

• Like 1

Best I have for his motivations is, Lex went on about saying you can't be all good and all powerful. In his clearly psychotic mind he wanted to either prove that Superman was not both these things (IE. Kill Batman) or just dead so he didn't have to contemplate that.

Now of course none of this explains creating Doomsday, or worse creating Doomsday before you've seen your master plan fail/succeed. It makes you wonder what Lex's plan was if Batman killed Supes and Doomsday was still being incubated.

Edited by RandomJC
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure what the distinction would be, motivations == reason for people's actions

NO I mean in his example he used, what exactly is motivating him to make money? Is it survival (money to buy food), is it to pay off debts, is it child maintenance? 

Edited by DMan7

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

That's just another reason not a motivation.

Nah, making money can be a reason AND a motivation. That doesn't mean reason and motivation are the same thing, just that sometimes they can have the same explanation. People often do work to make money but sometimes their motivation is different: a doctor might be motivated to help people for instance. A person can also have more than one reason and more than one motivation: they usually do!

A strong belief in an ideal can be a strong motivation too but usually something needs to push people to turn it into proper motivation and Lex Luthor didn't come across as an idealist in BvS. He might have had a reason to distrust Superman because he has issues with absolute power but enough that's the only motivation to kill him? Nope, the movie didn't build up that motivation for it to work.

8 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

NO I mean in his example he used, what exactly is motivating him to make money? Is it survival (money to buy food), is it to pay off debts, is it child maintenance? 

You are right, money is only a tool for something else and not many work only for money (their is a list of reason and people are not good at knowing why they do what they do, but social pressure, social status, long list of motivations go on for why we work)

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Nah, making money can be a reason AND a motivation. That doesn't mean reason and motivation are the same thing, just that sometimes they can have the same explanation. People often do work to make money but sometimes their motivation is different: a doctor might be motivated to help people for instance. A person can also have more than one reason and more than one motivation: they usually do!

A strong belief in an ideal can be a strong motivation too but usually something needs to push people to turn it into proper motivation and Lex Luthor didn't come across as an idealist in BvS. He might have had a reason to distrust Superman because he has issues with absolute power but enough that's the only motivation to kill him? Nope, the movie didn't build up that motivation for it to work.

I agree about money being a reason but it being used as a motivation is a very poor one as the paper bills themselves can't be what's motivating someone, I believe what they use the money for is the actual motivation as that can have a number of motivational strings attached to it.

• Community Manager
13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure what the distinction would be, motivations == reason for people's actions

That's more complicated than I want to go into but basically motivation is also a drive. So for instance, I dislike onions (reason). I won't order anything where I can taste onions due to this reason (motivation). I dislike onions (reason). I am not motivated to find every onion farm and burn them down (not enough motivation).

So Lex Luthor dislikes the idea of absolute power (reason). But I don't think it's enough to drive a motivation.

8 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

That's more complicated than I want to go into but basically motivation is also a drive. So for instance, I dislike onions (reason). I won't order anything where I can taste onions due to this reason (motivation). I dislike onions (reason). I am not motivated to find every onion farm and burn them down (not enough motivation).

So Lex Luthor dislikes the idea of absolute power (reason). But I don't think it's enough to drive a motivation.

All all clear, if you would understand is motivation it would be a list of reason why he did what he did (the movie to not give them, it seem like because he like it has a game for an eccentric person, Joker like)