Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE.

Spoiler

I’m serious.

Consider this the official Marvel/DC argument thread. You want to talk about how brilliant the Feigian MCU is compared to the pathetic and confused Nolan-less DCCU? You want to talk about how his Majesty Christopher I crushes all these petty Marvel directors with his brilliance?

This is your thread. Have at it.

There are two reasons for this: first, in the hope that other threads, which regularly derail into much-covered Marvel vs. DC arguments, won’t be sidetracked as often.

The second: there are many legitimate reasons to discuss how/why Marvel or DC is doing something better, or a specific point of comparison between various movies. In other threads, people have occasionally hesitated to bring them up because they don’t want to start the old arguments again. Well, here, it is all open game.

Official Moderation Note #1: All existing forum rules still apply here. You can’t troll people. You can’t insult them. You can’t attack them personally, etc. 

Official Moderation Note #2: Other admins or moderators, at their discretion, can move posts or groups of posts from other threads and merge them into this one, if they feel the arguments elsewhere are overwhelming the thread in question.

Official Moderation Note #3: Spoilers should be tagged if any movie in the discussion has been out less than two weeks in the US.

Official Moderation Note #4: Please use this for any and all franchise/brand wars.

edit: 5 years later...

oh my god....

u2cp5fx54owx.gif

• Like 14

I'll get things started off. There's been endless discussion about how wrong MAN OF STEEL screwed up Superman by having such tremendous civilian damage (and death) with little on-screen action or effort from Supes. 

How is this different from

the climax of CAPTAIN AMERICA 2, where Steve Rogers (and company) cause three giant hell-carriers to destroy each other over Washington D.C.? In specific, one of the heli-carriers crashes into the SHIELD building, which -- while it harbored many HYDRA agents, also harbored many innocent SHIELD office workers? Cap didn't seem particularly worked up about all the deaths and injuries he was causing, at least while he was conscious?

• Like 8

There are two reasons for this: first, in the hope that other threads, which regularly derail into much-covered Marvel vs. DC arguments, won’t be sidetracked as often.

Haha. That's adorably naive, Tele.

• Like 6

Honestly I think this is a brilliant thread Tele. This way people can argue without it being considered off topic.

I prefer DC overall, but Marvel's been doing better.

Something like The Winter Soldier was successful, because although the tone was serious, it seemed like the characters could still make a joke that was relevant to the situation at hands, and still be exciting at the same time. Something like MOS however tries to be humorless, and doesn't exactly work as well in that regard.People say the reason why Marvel is more successful is because their characters are more relatable. I find to this to be B.S. though. A character like Captain America isn't a relatable concept on paper (he was originally just a product of his time and being powerful and strong was all that he had), yet they managed to two terrific movies based off him.And even then if Marvel can make Guardians of The Galaxy and Ant-Man successful, then that reasoning doesn't work at all.Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man (any incarnations, Pyme and Lang or whatever) are pretty unrelatable as far as Marvel characters go.Marvel's success isn't because audiences can feel for their characters, it's because they know how to make entertaining movie.

Edited by Fancyarcher

Honestly I think this is a brilliant thread Tele. This way people can argue without it being considered off topic.

I prefer DC overall, but Marvel's been doing better.

Something like The Winter Soldier was successful, because although the tone was serious, it seemed like the characters could still make a joke that was relevant to the situation at hands, and still be exciting at the same time. Something like MOS however tries to be humorless, and doesn't exactly work as well in that regard.People say the reason why Marvel is more successful is because their characters are more relatable. I find to this to be B.S. though. A character like Captain America isn't a relatable concept on paper (he was originally just a product of his time and being powerful and strong was all that he had), yet they managed to two terrific movies based off him.And even then if Marvel can make Guardians of The Galaxy and Ant-Man successful, then that reasoning doesn't work at all.Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man (any incarnations, Pyme and Lang or whatever) are pretty unrelatable as far as Marvel characters go.Marvel's success isn't because audiences can feel for their characters, it's because they know how to make entertaining movie.

Iron Man 2, Thor 2, and Captain America are entertaining?

• Like 1

I'll get things started off. There's been endless discussion about how wrong MAN OF STEEL screwed up Superman by having such tremendous civilian damage (and death) with little on-screen action or effort from Supes. 

How is this different from

the climax of CAPTAIN AMERICA 2, where Steve Rogers (and company) cause three giant hell-carriers to destroy each other over Washington D.C.? In specific, one of the heli-carriers crashes into the SHIELD building, which -- while it harbored many HYDRA agents, also harbored many innocent SHIELD office workers? Cap didn't seem particularly worked up about all the deaths and injuries he was causing, at least while he was conscious?

First of all, Cap can't fly, doesn't have super strength comparable to Supes and has absolutely no ability to control where the helicarriers crash. Also, he's been beaten/shot to shit by the Winter Soldier so there's not much he can do to help. Supes had every opportunity and ability to help the thousands caught in the destruction caused by Zod. What does he do? Get into a fight with Zod, destroy more shit and generally not be shown to give a crap about collateral damage or civilian lives, except for that one family he saved by killing Zod.

Basically Cap probably cares about collateral damage (hence why he made sure to warn everyone in the building first) but has no ability to stop it. Supes has the ability to stop it but just doesn't give a shit.

• Like 5

First of all, Cap can't fly, doesn't have super strength comparable to Supes and has absolutely no ability to control where the helicarriers crash. Also, he's been beaten/shot to shit by the Winter Soldier so there's not much he can do to help. Supes had every opportunity and ability to help the thousands caught in the destruction caused by Zod. What does he do? Get into a fight with Zod, destroy more shit and generally not be shown to give a crap about collateral damage or civilian lives, except for that one family he saved by killing Zod.

Basically Cap probably cares about collateral damage (hence why he made sure to warn everyone in the building first) but has no ability to stop it. Supes has the ability to stop it but just doesn't give a shit.

Except you could argue that Zod wreaked total devastation on Metropolis and Superman just reacted, but

Cap made the decision to turn DC into a war zone.

• Like 2

Except you could argue that Zod wreaked total devastation on Metropolis and Superman just reacted, but

Cap made the decision to turn DC into a war zone.

So are you saying he should've allowed the helicarriers to shoot everyone? Cap was reacting too, to HYDRA's plan using the helicarriers. There was nowhere else he could've possibly have stopped them from.And it doesn't matter if Supes didn't cause the initial damage, the reason that scene fails is because he does absolutely nothing about it. He doesn't try to help any of the people trapped or injured and just smashes more stuff instead. Even if he was trying to take out Zod first, he could've at least put in the effort.

• Like 1

Tele havent you learned something from all the derailing, we are like little kids we want what we can't have. The hijacking of another thread is what drives these battles and what starts them. 

:lol: 

• Like 1

The secret, rukaio, is that

I kinda agree with you. Not to the extent of that MOS scene causing me to hate the movie or total rage or anything, but it was an obvious area to emphasize either Supes' doomed empathy or the realization (either later or during) that he was somewhat culpable and that he has a far greater responsibility to humanity than merely beating the shit out of someone.

:ph34r:

At the same time, I was mildly surprised there wasn't even a shocked or worried reaction shot from Cap about what was happening/about to happen.

At the same time, I was mildly surprised there wasn't even a shocked or worried reaction shot from Cap about what was happening/about to happen.

I guess that's kinda understandable but, to be fair, much of the debris probably obscured his view as to where the helicarrier was crashing and he had to deal with Bucky, so he didn't exactly have time to look worried. Not to mention, he was half-dying at the time. It's not like Supes who, not only got a good look at the wrecked city, but also spent the next few minutes punching Zod into the few bits of it still standing.

• Like 1

How about we list our opinions first? I don't think we've ever done that.

Marvel:

IM1 - Great

IM2 - Shit

IM3 - Below Average

Thor - Average

Thor 2 - Haven't seen it

Captain America - Below Average

Captain America 2 - Average

The Avengers - Average

DC:

Green Lantern - Haven't seen it(but everyone says its embarrassing shit so I'll go with that).

Batman Begins - Above Average

The Dark Knight - Masterpiece

The Dark Knight Rises - Average

Man of Steel - Shit

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 3