Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

And where did I say Johnson had 100% creative control? I don't disagree with that and I am sure the Porgs were created to sell merch.

I know these films were made with selling toys in mind. Just saying, so did the OT and the PT. Not just that but ROTJ had narrative decisions changed so that more merch could be sold.

Oh I see.

Well George is going to defend heavy merchandising if he's one of the ones reponsible, he lost some of his dignity when he changed the film to sell toys.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Oh I see.

Well George is going to defend heavy merchandising if he's one of the ones reponsible, he lost some of his dignity when he changed the film to sell toys.

George lost no dignity at all. there is nothing undignified in selling toys for children and entertaining them.

I have many fond memories of having fun with toy lightsabers, Lego, and other stuff and thankful to Lucas for providing good things in my childhood.

Star Wars is not some high art that is not made for profit.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Oh I see.

In George’s defense, at least in the PT and OT there was a good deal of merch worth buying. The Sequel Trilogy is very bare bones 🦴 in that area because it’s a glib facsimile of Star Wars.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

George lost no dignity at all. there is nothing undignified in selling toys for children and providing kids with fun.

Star Wars is not some high art that is not made for profit.

Sometimes I forget it's a franchise for kids because of the amount of adult fans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Why do we blame certain directors or franchises for "only being in it for the money" while standing others on a pedestal? Seriously? Literally everyone in Hollywood makes/wants to make money. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Why do we blame certain directors or franchises for "only being in it for the money" while standing others on a pedestal? Seriously? Literally everyone in Hollywood makes/wants to make money. 

Because the one who stands at the top doesn't do it for the money of course.

I feel like you just threw a shitload of creative people in Hollywood under the bus there to make starwars look better. Believe it or not some people actually enjoy making things, ever notice all the unpaid art/media in existence.

It just so happens that you need money for freedom in this world. So yeah if money is required to keep doing what you love then people are going to want it.

Some directors don't give a shit about making an extra buck and just want to put their vision onto the big screen no matter what.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, DAJK said:

It's the difference between Nascar drivers and people who put themselves out there wanting to make money based on their talents as artists. The budget can shocking vary with that.

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Because the one who stands at the top doesn't do it for the money of course.

I feel like you just threw a shitload of creative people in Hollywood under the bus there to make starwars look better. Believe it or not some people actually enjoy making things, ever notice all the unpaid art/media in existence.

It just so happens that you need money for freedom in this world. So yeah if money is required to keep doing what you love then people are going to want it.

Some directors don't give a shit about making an extra buck and just want to put their vision onto the big screen no matter what.

To be completely honest, who are you or me or anyone of us to decide what a director is thinking on the inside? Sure, someone like Cameron really does put their passion and heart into a movie, but don't most directors do that anyways? JC just happens to do it better than most of them.

I know you idolize Cameron, or Napoleon idolizes Snyder, and many people idolize certain franchises or actors or directors, but how can any of us judge what they really want inside? The point I was trying to make earlier is that all of these upper-end Hollywood names make millions upon millions of dollars, so how can we possibly say that they "Aren't in it for the money". Of course they got into the business because they love doing it. 

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

To be completely honest, who are you or me or anyone of us to decide what a director is thinking on the inside? Sure, someone like Cameron really does put their passion and heart into a movie, but don't most directors do that anyways? JC just happens to do it better than most of them.

I know you idolize Cameron, or Napoleon idolizes Snyder, and many people idolize certain franchises or actors or directors, but how can any of us judge what they really want inside? The point I was trying to make earlier is that all of these upper-end Hollywood names make millions upon millions of dollars, so how can we possibly say that they "Aren't in it for the money". Of course they got into the business because they love doing it. 

You're right of course. All directors loved films before they became a director.

Problem with new Star Wars is that lots of decisions aren't being made by these people.

I'm not a mindreader like lots of the posters on this site but you don't have to be to see decisions made by greed.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Problem with new Star Wars is that lots of decisions aren't being made by these people.

I'm not a mindreader like lots of the posters on this site but you don't have to be to see decisions made by greed.

Once director get 10-15-20% of the money made by a movie, that distinction get reduce and incentive can align themselves quite well.

• Like 1

By the way Jim is the crazy exception to all of this because he wants to save the planet. I'm not joking he takes environmentalism very seriously and will put the message out there with the sequels and use the money to fund environmentist projects.

It's ironic that Jim is the closest thing we have to a superhero.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Did Bob Iger eat your family alive? I mean, you can be a hater of whatever you want, but I think I've never seen do anything in these boards outside of being the Disney version of @WeneedtotalkaboutKevin.

And Baby Groot is awesome, so please step on a Lego.

Kevin is actually funny. This one is just sad . 

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm not sure where this should go but since it is probably going to be controversial and it involves the Wizarding World franchise, I'll put it here....

2fzv992sbom21.jpg?width=750&auto=webp&s=

I think this crap is really dumb. JK Rowling is saying these things just to pander to LGBTQ audiences without actually putting these elements in the books or movies. If Dumbledore and Grindelwald had an intense sexual relationship, please put in the upcoming movies instead of being a coward and just saying it in interviews so that you can get attention. And let's not forget that she is an intense TERF so I don't think she really supports the LGBTQ community. But that is another topic.

They are never gonna put it in the movies. Nothing explicit anyways. They dont wanna jeopardize their BO, especially in Asian countries like China, when they are already trying to recover from the 2nd movie. 

11 hours ago, cdsacken said:

DC did absolutely nothing for diversity for a long time. Diversity for a very mediocre film in Suicide Squad wasn't a good thing. Black Panther helped, that one hurt.

Have you not heard of the Dark Knight Trilogy? Do I have to bring up the cast for those films? Very diverse! Also Suicide Squad isn't the only film with diverse leads either, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam do great in that regard too. Birds of Prey and Joker too... Then you look at the films in development for DC vs the ones for Marvel and it becomes more apparent.

Also Black Panther, while a ground breaking film, isn't a diverse film. It's 95% Black. You wouldnt call a film with a 95% White cast diverse, would you?  

• ...wtf 1

23 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Have you not heard of the Dark Knight Trilogy? Do I have to bring up the cast for those films? Very diverse! Also Suicide Squad isn't the only film with diverse leads either, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam do great in that regard too. Birds of Prey and Joker too... Then you look at the films in development for DC vs the ones for Marvel and it becomes more apparent.

Also Black Panther, while a ground breaking film, isn't a diverse film. It's 95% Black. You wouldnt call a film with a 95% White cast diverse, would you?  

Are you for real?

• Like 1

Just now, El Gato said:

Yes. The Dark Knight especially

but like. The entire cast with exception of Freeman, is white American or British, and Maggie G is the only female. What diversity are you referring to?

The only diversity is age.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

but like. The entire cast with exception of Freeman, is white American or British, and Maggie G is the only female. What diversity are you referring to?

The only diversity is age.

even that excludes kids

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

I agree that it’s a business and it’s natural that money is a big driver of what gets made and gets sequels, and etc. and there’s nothing wrong with that. MCU is one of the least money driven big franchises though, at least in the short term, and I think that can lead to better creative quality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 3