Telemachos

Fanboy Wars: Marvel Vs DC Vs Star Wars vs Harry Potter vs EO17CU etc. | MARVEL TAKES THE THRONE | SOLO IS A HUGE BOMB

3 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Only an idiot would say TLJ damaged the SW brand.

It has damaged the imminent Kathleen brand, they're going to have to reboot again or something.

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It has damaged the imminent Kathleen brand, they're going to have to reboot again or something.

No, it hasn't. It damaged its brand to incels and MRAs. Everyone else, even if they didn't like the film, will continue seeing Star Wars films. In droves.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

Here are the facts:

• The predictions had it at 1.6 billion. And these were mildly modest. In any case, it brought at least 300 million less than what the investors expected.

I don't know why.   I had it pegged for about a 30-35% dip. I think I predicted 1.5b for it in the Winter Game to hedge against it possibly going higher but thought 1.4b far more likely.

The first was a three plus decades long wait for the return of  Han, Luke & Leia in a series that had been dormant for more than a decade.   A drop off was inevitable and if it followed the prequel pattern, or even SW to TESB then a drop of 30-35% was far more likely than 22.7%. 

TESB dropped 32% from SW  domestically and 27.5% WW (not counting all the re-releases).  Revenge of the Sith dropped 30.5% from Phantom Menace domestically and 35% WW and PM didn't have the original trio to pump it up (or a dead Solo for the second one).

It was also evident that it was strongest in the older European markets which aren't growing unlike L.A. and Asia so there wasn't going to be that market growth to offset the inevitable sequel drop in the older markets. The rejection of TLJ (and then Solo) in Asia had more to do with their rejection of SW than the film itself.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

No, it hasn't. It damaged its brand to incels and MRAs. Everyone else, even if they didn't like the film, will continue seeing Star Wars films. In droves.

The general audience isn't dumb, if the last film was bad they're less likely to watch the next one.

Both TFA and TLJ were bland as hell.

See SOLO... case and point

Edited by IronJimbo

50 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

EkTvzVL.jpg

Spoiler

If I hated Star Wars and wanted it to completely die as a franchise (I don't), I couldn't do better than some of the fans in this thread. With stans like these, who needs enemies?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

Here are the facts:

• The predictions had it at 1.6 billion. And these were mildly modest. In any case, it brought at least 300 million less than what the investors expected.
  • Word of mouth for the movie was bad as evident by the huge drops every weekend.

What is the source of that ?,  I am a bit curious how can something be factual and not be a more precise number than this, either we know Disney budgeted box office or we do not ? No ?

44 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I don't know why.   I had it pegged for about a 30-35% dip

Maybe it was 2 recent big franchise example that we got just before Last Jedi, Spectre and Fate 8 movie franchise also coming from obvious local peak for them.

Bond: 1,108->880, without China 1048.77 -> 796.5 Adjusted for inflation 1082.68->796.5 (26.5% drop)

Fast  : 1,516->1,236, without China 1,125 -> 843 Adjusted for inflation 1,163.5->843 (27.5% drop)

Awaken legs were so good than a bit worst than those above outside China could have been reasonably expected

Awaken 1.95b outside China adjust to 2.01b in 2017.

A similar to Bond/Fast drop of 27% would have push it to 1.266b outside China, I think most expected last Jedi to not do better than Awaken in the China. With the first one legs and Rogue One legs, market even a bit worst say a bit above Rogue one for a 80m China bo.

that make 1.266 + 80m = 1.34b, that a 35% dip.

Sony had budgeted a 764m performance for Spectre, a 31% drop with an expected grow in China.

Only an idiot would jump into a discussion with no meaningful input whatsoever to offer, just to throw insults.

I don't mean to generalize here, @ChipMunky you are the idiot here.

• Like 1

I didn't realize personal insults were allowed? Mine was just a general statement. Meaningful input? To what? Fans wanking over their hatred of an objectionably great film? That made a ton of money? My input is to look at the facts. And the facts say the movie was very well liked among audiences, and critics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChipMunky said:

I didn't realize personal insults were allowed? Mine was just a general statement. Meaningful input? To what? Fans wanking over their hatred of an objectionably great film? That made a ton of money? My input is to look at the facts. And the facts say the movie was very well liked among audiences, and critics.

This is some quality satire, bravo. :hahaha:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChipMunky said:

as a general statement those whose username is an anagram of nymphicuk are morons

• Haha 1