Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

14 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I don't know why you think it's impossible.

me neither.

Don't get me wrong I don't think it is going to happen, but it wouldn't be that huge of a shock, to me, if it does happen

• Like 2

Talked with my Uncle who is a huge SW fans and why TLJ caused such a shitstorm with the OT fanbase. 

The issue is SW is a mythology and almost like a Religion which had Lucas as its head. Therefore he could make the story line as he pleased and even if it did not work out, it was accepted as apart of Star Wars.

The people in charge of films like TLJ, do not have the same 'legitimacy' over the mythology of Star Wars. Therefore, if they start to make drastic changes to it, people are more willing to question if the choices made are valid. 

I think there is some truth to this as for example the Character of Luke in TLJ was quite divisive, but no one really went after Mark Hamill personally for the changes. As people realize he accepts George's version of Luke and he simply played Rian Johnson's version of Luke. 

My point being, the lack of "legitimacy' over the control of the Star Wars mythos means that any film like TLJ that drastically altered the SW universe was destined to get a divisive reaction. 

I would poise the question, if George Lucas made TLJ, would the film gotten anywhere near such a divisive reaction? Hardly not imo. 

:kitschjob:

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Talked with my Uncle who is a huge SW fans and why TLJ caused such a shitstorm with the OT fanbase. 

The issue is SW is a mythology and almost like a Religion which had Lucas as its head. Therefore he could make the story line as he pleased and even if it did not work out, it was accepted as apart of Star Wars.

The people in charge of films like TLJ, do not have the same 'legitimacy' over the mythology of Star Wars. Therefore, if they start to make drastic changes to it, people are more willing to question if the choices made are valid. 

I think there is some truth to this as for example the Character of Luke in TLJ was quite divisive, but no one really went after Mark Hamill personally for the changes. As people realize he accepts George's version of Luke and he simply played Rian Johnson's version of Luke. 

My point being, the lack of "legitimacy' over the control of the Star Wars mythos means that any film like TLJ that drastically altered the SW universe was destined to get a divisive reaction. 

I would poise the question, if George Lucas made TLJ, would the film gotten anywhere near such a divisive reaction? Hardly not imo. 

Is your uncle a Russian bot?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Then why did the prequels get so much hate?

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

They do but I think people hate them for being silly and dumb rather then "destroying the world of Star Wars" 

You realize the PT gave rise to the "George Lucas raped my childhood!!" reactions right?

The heated opinions on the PT have softened since the Disney revival because, at the time, most people thought that the prequels were going to be the franchise's send off and there would be no more movies to follow.  That and the fires have had over a decade to die down. But make no mistake, a large swath of the fans weren't very accepting of them back when they came out just because they were Lucas' creation.  Just ask Jake Lloyd, Hayden Christensen, or Ahmed Best how accepting they were.  When asked about making more Star Wars movies (before he decided to sell the company) Lucas himself responded why would he make more when people just end up telling you how much of a terrible person you are for having made them.

No offense to your uncle but on this, the dude is just wrong.

Edited by Horner
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Horner said:

You realize the PT gave rise to the "George Lucas raped my childhood!!" reactions right?

The heated opinions on the PT have softened since the Disney revival because, at the time, most people thought that the prequels were going to be the franchise's send off and there would be no more movies to follow.  That and the fires have had over a decade to die down. But make no mistake, a large swath of the fans weren't very accepting of them back when they came out just because they were Lucas' creation.  Just ask Jake Lloyd, Hayden Christensen, or Ahmed Best how accepting they were.  When asked about making more Star Wars movies (before he decided to sell the company) Lucas himself responded why would he make more when people just end up telling you how much of a terrible person you are for having made them.

No offense to your uncle but on this, the dude is just wrong.

The prequels got a bad rep from fans but ROTS was mostly liked by the fanbase and kept interest in star wars going and attracted a new generation of Star War fans.

Like most people on that 18 to 30 age group of star war fans grew up on the prequels.

My point is we shall see episode 9 will leave this trilogy on a high as well. Because currently the Disney Star Wars films are losing more fans then making new one i think. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

The prequels got a bad rep from fans but ROTS was mostly liked by the fanbase and kept interest in star wars going and attracted a new generation of Star War fans.

Like most people on that 18 to 30 age group of star war fans grew up on the prequels.

My point is we shall see episode 9 will leave this trilogy on a high as well. Because currently the Disney Star Wars films are losing more fans then making new one i think. 

Sure, the prequels created a new generation of fans.  That's why there was a bitter, loud divide in the fanbase (just as there is now, and just as loud).  For the new fans they created the PT was their Star Wars and many were angry with the old guard for diminishing their enjoyment of them with the unending criticisms.  ROTS was the least disliked for many of those older fans but the criticisms of it didn't change or drop off all that much.  Certainly not enough to make Lucas feel any differently about making more movies (that answer from him about making more came just a couple of years before he sold to Disney).

The Sequel Trilogy has created a new generation of fans to.  It might be hard to gauge just how many at this point.  I don't think toy sales can be used as an accurate measuring stick because kids today have so much more to choose from to spend their free time on.  Certainly more than we did during the OT period and even when the PT was coming out.  I had a ton of SW toys growing up but I have no doubt that if I had access to today's gaming systems or tablets I wouldn't have owned many basic action figures or vehicles, even with the modest upgrades they've had since then.

Edited by Horner
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Maybe if one thinks Solo is an indicator but TLJ and RO both had higher admissions than Episode II & III

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Est. Tickets / Theaters Opening / Theaters Date
1 Star Wars Fox 142,734,000 1,750 697,100 43 5/25/77
2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV 108,115,100 4,134 28,501,900 4,134 12/18/15
3 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Fox 84,825,800 3,126 12,760,000 2,970 5/19/99
4 Return of the Jedi Fox 80,983,400 1,764 7,307,800 1,002 5/25/83
5 The Empire Strikes Back Fox 78,862,200 1,278 1,825,500 126 5/21/80
6 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV 67,594,500 4,232 23,966,200 4,232 12/15/17
7 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story BV 60,441,600 4,157 17,643,000 4,157 12/16/16
8 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Fox 59,324,600 3,663 16,916,700 3,661 5/19/05
9 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones Fox 52,012,300 3,161 13,774,200 3,161 5/16/02

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Maybe if one thinks Solo is an indicator but TLJ and RO both had higher admissions than Episode II & III

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Est. Tickets / Theaters Opening / Theaters Date
1 Star Wars Fox 142,734,000 1,750 697,100 43 5/25/77
2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV 108,115,100 4,134 28,501,900 4,134 12/18/15
3 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Fox 84,825,800 3,126 12,760,000 2,970 5/19/99
4 Return of the Jedi Fox 80,983,400 1,764 7,307,800 1,002 5/25/83
5 The Empire Strikes Back Fox 78,862,200 1,278 1,825,500 126 5/21/80
6 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV 67,594,500 4,232 23,966,200 4,232 12/15/17
7 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story BV 60,441,600 4,157 17,643,000 4,157 12/16/16
8 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Fox 59,324,600 3,663 16,916,700 3,661 5/19/05
9 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones Fox 52,012,300 3,161 13,774,200 3,161 5/16/02

Frankly all of the arguments we are having about the future of the box office of Star Wars will go in an endless loop until we see what Episode 9 does.

If it declines or increases from TLJ will put to rest whether TLJ has really soured the fan base against new SW films or not or that it is winning over new fans or not.

Personally I think as of now unless there is some great hook to bring back OT Fanbase, I think Episode 9 will see a decline (in dollars not so much due to inflation).

On 11/1/2018 at 12:22 AM, Lordmandeep said:

Bitch please not again...

• Haha 2

I love Wonder Woman just as much as anyone else but I was always amused at how people who regularly complain about

third acts in superhero movies,

or superhero  movies period

or big superhero CGI fights,

mysteriously gave a free pass to Wonder Woman's third act and acted like it never happened.

How these people s minds work is a mystery.

Edited by The Futurist

6 hours ago, The Futurist said:

I love Wonder Woman just as much as anyone else but I was always amused at how people who regularly complain about

third acts in superhero movies,

or superhero  movies period

or big superhero CGI fights,

mysteriously gave a free pass to Wonder Woman's third act and acted like it never happened.

How these people s minds work is a mystery.

3 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

Or the terrible end battle and CGI in Black Panther.  

Since fucking when?! Like 90% of the bad things I hear about either of those movies are about their ending fights.

That's because when people love a movie they ignore the tiny problems. But when they dislike a movie, they go full CinemaSins nitpicking the most irrelevant details.

When the movie overall is great, some bad CGI scene won't bother you.

Like, for example, Batman v Superman. The movie is a commentary about racism and the hate against immigrants. There's a part of society that watches a movie like that with those themes of unity and acceptance and humanizing immigrants and you can understand why they completely despise it. But they don't even understand why they felt so much hate for the movie, so they blame on the most irrelevant details.