Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Anyhow, we all know Disney s biggest paychecks to critics are for the MCU.

They know how average & mundane these MCU films are so they need a push from critics to be profitable.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Knock It Off 1

It seems like Disney is using the same PR strategy done with Ghostbusters 2016 on Captain Marvel. Yes, Ghostbusters had a lot of sexist trolls who hated it, but it was also a godawful movie that somehow managed to get a 74% RT score... because who wants to side with the sexist trolls?

I see that strategy being used with Captain Marvel. If you search for Captain Marvel on Twitter, this is the top result and somehow I doubt it's an accident or some rogue Twitter employee, because it's been there over a day:

ytnpLVM.png

So now take Ghostbusters PR strategy and do it with a marvel-tier movie...

JdSfDY7.jpg

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Knock It Off 1

19 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

It seems like Disney is using the same PR strategy done with Ghostbusters

Maybe, but it is such easy click-bait traffic for people that can write content without leaving their computers nor even making one phone call, that can easily imagine them all doing it on their own.

Do you think people here saying the same as those article work for Disney ?

21 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

I doubt it's an accident or some rogue Twitter employee,

Do not underestimate how much agenda driven Silicon valley employee can get, nor how good for traffic they can be (specially if people like you all around the web are reading it and linking to it to others pushing it like you are doing and like people just did to you I presume)

• Thanks 1

I liked GhostBusters, it's only your opinion that it is horrible. Captain Marvel is nothing like GhostBusters. It's a Marvel movie and those almost always get strong reviews because they are mostly decent to good films. I don't know why you jealous people thought that Captain Marvel would behave differently. 

17 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Do you think people here saying the same as those article work for Disney ?

Twitter and Disney have an important business relationship. Twitter would not run a story like that for a full day without the Mouse's implicit or explicit approval, regardless of the article's traffic. There are agenda-driven employees who might get away with throwing it up there for a bit but this staying up for a full day is on Disney. If Captain Marvel is such a good movie on its own merits I can't fathom why they would chase controversy, Marvel films up to now have printed money and DChads have review bombed them for years to no effect.

There is one alternative I can think of, which is that Brie is such a lightning rod they've decided to steer the controversy rather than run away from it, and the movie is good regardless.

I'll wait for the audience score on this one.

• Like 1

Brie Larson's comments were controversial, and not everyone who took issue with that are misogynists. These bloggers defending the movie against the "haters" are actually hurting it. Instead of calling people names, they should try to clarify her comments. Calling people racist, sexist, misogynist, whatever, even if some or most of them really are deplorable, will alienate the ones who aren't.

Just to clarify I'm not offended by anything she said, I'm neutral on this controversy because on one hand I don't agree with people attacking her and I want to support female representation in movies, but on the other hand, this movie was only made to make Marvel look good, and won't applaud them for something they should have done many years ago, before people basically forced them to. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

At the end of the day, this Captain Marvel controversy will do jackshit to it’s box office as the GA likely doesn’t give a fuck.

I suspect that by saturday morning of the OW they will sound like the Force Awaken/Fury Road one.

CM could be Marvels worst release yet and it will still make a shit ton of money. Not exactly a strong argument to point to it's gross, heck I could make a 500m grossing film if you gave me a famous marvel comicbook character and the MCU brand.

Point being a failure for CM would be around 600m.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

CM could be Marvels worst release yet and it will still make a shit ton of money. Not exactly a strong argument to point to it's gross, heck I could make a 500m grossing film if you gave me a famous marvel comicbook character and the MCU brand.

No way this will made less that 1B, point of failure is under 140m OW and under 850m WW

Edited by Wonder89
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Wonder89 said:

No way this will made less that 1B, point of failure is under 140m OW and under 850m WW

You're probably right.

I have it doing $1.1b

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

Of course a narrative will be pushed against anyone who feels that Brie is stupid, but the truth is that people caught on to that only because of her rising popularity due to MCU. I remember her retweeting a picture of a black family sitting in the tube reading books with the caption "why is this not going viral". You can't marginalize a group more than that. Some people are legit empathetic, some others simply have the "white saviour" complex.

On top of that, she's named after a french cheese

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

The genius of what Kevin Feige has done is that he's build the MCU Brand up on the backs of characters not as well known to the masses. Not famous ones. Hulk and Captain America are the only ones to really have had prior if not known exposure and they had waned a lot, especially Cap.

Iron Man - huge risk

Hulk - the biggest known character had a middling performance

Thor - the Marvel Norse god version with his tropes, risky

Captain America - too jingoistic we were told, too RAH, RAH America to sell internationally.

Guardians of the Galaxy - a film with a talking smart ass raccoon and tri-syballic talking tree, yeah that will work.

Dr. Strange - by this point the criticism shifted to "yawn origin story of privileged white guy" while overlooking the visuals and world to actually bring to life on film.

Ant-Man - the ridicule was off the chain, I mean ants, ants? Whose scared of ants they shouted

Black Panther - dangerous to attempt in our knee jerk reaction social media world--BOOM!!

Avengers - combining solo films into one film has never been done, they are largely unknown, now the JLA, the masses know them, that film will explode....

Captain Marvel is just as unknown if not more than a few of these. While it is true the MCU Brand and the backs of 20 other films carry this it'll have it's own merits, thanks to Feige. 

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

The genius of what Kevin Feige has done is that he's build the MCU Brand up on the backs of characters not as well known to the masses. Not famous ones. Hulk and Captain America are the only ones to really have had prior if not known exposure and they had waned a lot, especially Cap.

Iron Man - huge risk

Captain America - too jingoistic we were told, too RAH, RAH America to sell internationally.

Guardians of the Galaxy - a film with a talking smart ass raccoon and tri-syballic talking tree, yeah that will work.

Dr. Strange - by this point the criticism shifted to "yawn origin story of privileged white guy" while overlooking the visuals and world to actually bring to life on film.

Ant-Man - the ridicule was off the chain, I mean ants, ants? Whose scared of ants they shouted

Black Panther - dangerous to attempt in our knee jerk reaction social media world--BOOM!!

Avengers - combining solo films into one film has never been done, they are largely unknown, now the JLA, the masses know them, that film will explode....

Captain Marvel is just as unknown if not more than a few of these. While it is true the MCU Brand and the backs of 20 other films carry this it'll have it's own merits, thanks to Feige. 

A huge risk to people who don't know the amount of toys you could sell. RoboCop, an original IP, was milked for all its worth within that first wave of comic book movies.

Hulk has had middling adapted material since the Lou Ferrigno show.

Most of Thor's origin movie is split off from the Norse God goodness. 

Not enough RAH RAH jingoism in Captain America. The movie even specifically pokes fun at that in his OG costume because Steve Rogers is now apparently more boring than that.

Feige's genius starting out is that he stuck to the grounded way of doing things before we get to Whedon's Transformers.

GOTG is something you'd expect a decade ago, primarily from tv...not sure why that genre fizzled out.

Captain Marvel if it follows the formula, should be scratching that GOTG itch. To supercede Black Panther, it'd have to be a little of everything MCU. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 2kt09 said:

Hulk has had middling adapted material since the Lou Ferrigno show.

Most of Thor's origin movie is split off from the Norse God goodness

Not enough RAH RAH jingoism in Captain America. The movie even specifically pokes fun at that in his OG costume because Steve Rogers is now apparently more boring than that.

Hulk, the TV-series was known, but also known for lets call it: not-what-will-look-like-a-cinema-movie. First reaction of a lot of ppl I told then they did a Hulk movie was.... laughter, Not in the fun meaning way.

Hulk the movie I still blame Valhalla Mtion Pictures and Avi Arad (that extra with him dissing his own audience was "§$%&%$) for a lot of what went wrong.

Norse god: then quite a few ppl told me outside of Germany, Scandinavian countries,... not a lot really are aware about the stories. As in more than the names..., if at all. There were even some US ppl telling me then, some in the US will even be against it based on Thor being a non-Christianity-god-whatever

Captain America got named the first Avenger also, see Iron Man 1 having no additiona tet, Thor 1 neither.... bcs they feared back-lash (OS) vs 'America' in the title.

Its not only about what is in the movie, its also to even get ppl to open up to the possibilitiy to watch it in a cinema

14 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Hulk, the TV-series was known, but also known for lets call it: not-what-will-look-like-a-cinema-movie. First reaction of a lot of ppl I told then they did a Hulk movie was.... laughter, Not in the fun meaning way.

Hulk the movie I still blame Valhalla Mtion Pictures and Avi Arad (that extra with him dissing his own audience was "§$%&%$) for a lot of what went wrong.

Norse god: then quite a few ppl told me outside of Germany, Scandinavian countries,... not a lot really are aware about the stories. As in more than the names..., if at all. There were even some US ppl telling me then, some in the US will even be against it based on Thor being a non-Christianity-god-whatever

Captain America got named the first Avenger also, see Iron Man 1 having no additiona tet, Thor 1 neither.... bcs they feared back-lash (OS) vs 'America' in the title.

Its not only about what is in the movie, its also to even get ppl to open up to the possibilitiy to watch it in a cinema

From just box office reciepts, people were opening up to Hulk, Thor, & The First Avenger 

not much differently from other non-Spidey Marvel movies. 

It was Iron Man and then The Avengers that really kicked the doors off for the rest of the franchise. 

Edited by 2kt09

7 hours ago, 2kt09 said:

From just box office reciepts, people were opening up to Hulk, Thor, & The First Avenger 

not much differently from other non-Spidey Marvel movies. 

It was Iron Man and then The Avengers that really kicked the doors off for the rest of the franchise. 

dom

17 Thor Par. $181,030,624 3,963 $65,723,338 3,955 5/6/11

19 Captain America: The First Avenger Par. $176,654,505 3,715 $65,058,524 3,715 7/22/11
20 The Incredible Hulk Uni. $134,806,913 3,508 $55,414,050 3,505 6/13/08

ww

18 Thor Par. $449.3 $181.0 40.3% $268.3 59.7% 2011
19 Captain America: The First Avenger Par. $370.6 $176.7 47.7% $193.9 52.3% 2011
20 The Incredible Hulk Uni. $263.4 $134.8 51.2% $128.6 48.8% 2008

there were no other Marvel movies by Marvel, beside some co-tries.

Fox movies based on Marvel comics were 1. a bit something else, 2. started ~ a decade earlier, and 3. still made more mony see x-man 1 + 2, Fantastic Four,....

Before IHulk (see suposedly Hulk being so famous), Batman Begins, Superman Returns, TDK all made $200m+ in dom alone

IHulk is still not considered a succesful movie (budget $150m).

And so on. No idea how you get to this wording, earnestly confused by it

Edited by terrestrial

4 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

Iron Man - huge risk

He has also built the Marvel Brand up to the point where it can stand the occasional disappointing film. People will still go because the odds of them seeing an entertaining movie are favorable, even if the last one did not quite deliver.

6 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I liked GhostBusters, it's only your opinion that it is horrible. Captain Marvel is nothing like GhostBusters. It's a Marvel movie and those almost always get strong reviews because they are mostly decent to good films. I don't know why you jealous people thought that Captain Marvel would behave differently. 

I did not like the 2016 GHostbusters,but the reasons it failed are not due to the "controversy".

No one will remember Larsen's comments by the time "Captain Marvel " opens.

• Like 1