Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

10 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

He meant it's been #1 or #2 for 31 days. I know people are losing it I guess.. that's the only reason I can begin to understand some of these posts but the DCEU had a very successful year.  You could argue that Batman v. Superman underperformed but it will turn a profit. I'd say it underperformed too but it doesn't matter.  No issue there.  SS is going to be a major win.  Already is.  The studio is extremely happy with that BO performance.

Now this is where someone says "but they need to start making better movies!".  Well,  I would agree if everyone felt the same.  I didn't love SS. In fact, I had a lot of issues with it. That said, it's having strong holds. The WOM is solid. Not great, but solid.  The reviews didn't impact it's performance at all. The target audience (under 25) was very happy with it. In the end, that's all that matters.

Wonder Woman is going to have a big OW also.  People are going crazy over 'The Batman' rumors. DCEU is here to stay.  Some will have to come to terms with that. The rest of us are looking forward to what they do with it.

yep and JL footage brought down comic con with excitement and  the MoS sequel news got people very excited also. They can't wait to see it and who Supes is gonna fight in that one.

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is redman, we know he meant #1 and only #1 :lol: 

no i meant what Johnny meant. keep up

3 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

Normally I would agree, but then we have Fox saying they are going to keep making FF movies.   That makes zero sense.  There is seriously no logical reason for them to do that.   The only explanation is they are doing it for emotional reasons (pride?  spite?) over financial reasons.

If WB is doing it because they feel they have to, I hope I at least get a good Flash movie.  I've given up hope for a good Supes on the screen for a while.  Maybe the next generation of execs at WB will get Supes.

if you have seen BvS and whats happening there its easy to see Suped will go through a change after his rebirth. People now love him and no he is protector of earth he no longer have the doubt on his shoulders anymore. He has all of the peoples trust now. Even Terio said that Suped and JL will be a lighter tone. Do some people even listen anymore.

2 hours ago, RandomJC said:

Course, thing to remember about SS is that it's had pretty much Zero competition the last month. Same with BvS on Home video. Not hard to stay at #1 when nothing comes to challenge it.

That is a pretty pathetic excuse. Wow just wow lol

Edited by mredman

39 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

No competition in cinemas can make a difference, but not so much if you are not interested at all in a movie (see Ben Hur for example). I don't believe there is anything to do with competition and DVD sales. If it's selling well that means people got interested enough to actually buy a DVD to watch at home. I don't buy DVDs just for the heck of it. I watch on the net and only buy what I liked.

DVD/BR sales have the same front loaded effect cinemas do. To keep a sustained #1 in sales you pretty much need no competition, this is true doesn't matter the films quality. With the release of Jungle Book last week, BvS is #2, and CW this week will probably drop it to #3. Nothing was released on DVD/BR between JB and BvS to really hit high enough sales on the home video market.

It's just clear to remember being #1 is easy with no competition. Just look at any movie that was at #1 for a sustained period at the Box Office. You open at 130, drop 50% you are at 65 2nd Weekend, third you're down to 32. Movies open above 30M all the time. Just look at the well received movies of the summer, Dory, Pets, or Earlier with Jungle Book. All three dropped down to third within 3 weeks.

I'm not saying their isn't interest, or that it's doing badly. But when you're competition is Bun-Hur, War Dogs, Kubo, Morgan, Mechanic: Resurrection, Pete's Dragon, it's not that hard to stay above them.

17 minutes ago, mredman said:

That is a pretty pathetic excuse. Wow just wow lol

Hm? Excuse? Ok. Not what I was trying to do, but sure. We'll go with that.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RandomJC said:

DVD/BR sales have the same front loaded effect cinemas do. To keep a sustained #1 in sales you pretty much need no competition, this is true doesn't matter the films quality. With the release of Jungle Book last week, BvS is #2, and CW this week will probably drop it to #3. Nothing was released on DVD/BR between JB and BvS to really hit high enough sales on the home video market.

It's just clear to remember being #1 is easy with no competition. Just look at any movie that was at #1 for a sustained period at the Box Office. You open at 130, drop 50% you are at 65 2nd Weekend, third you're down to 32. Movies open above 30M all the time. Just look at the well received movies of the summer, Dory, Pets, or Earlier with Jungle Book. All three dropped down to third within 3 weeks.

I'm not saying their isn't interest, or that it's doing badly. But when you're competition is Bun-Hur, War Dogs, Kubo, Morgan, Mechanic: Resurrection, Pete's Dragon, it's not that hard to stay above them.

I get what you're saying and I agree about a couple of things. It's not the no1 that matters on it's own. It's the no1+ How well it's selling. Even before the rotten reviews I have never thought SS would hit 700M without china. And with those rotten reviews I thought it would barely reach 550 then later I thought 650. I think the interest for DC movies is there and it's huge.I had many issues with SS , I did not hate it but I could see the fractured narrative. It was tampered with heavily in post production that's for sure. But just imagine what a well structured SS with china would do ..... the potential is huge.

The same goes with BvS , it was divisive for sure but I have to say , it wasn't children friendly. It wasn't made for everyone. Even with that it made almost 900M. I assure you if it was kid friendly with a bit of pointless humor,even with a worse structured narrative, it would have crossed the 1B mark.

I loved it by the way ( I know, not everyone will agree, which is cool by me) The DCEU movies for me are in this order BvS >>>>>>>>>> SS > MOS even though MOS is the better structured movie between them , I enjoyed it the least even though I like superman more than batman. 

in short, all this talk about " it made this or achieved that only because there is no competition" is actually pointless IMO. It all comes to interest in the end. STB did not have that interest even though it was a better structured movie, so no matter what time of the year it opens it will still perform in the same range give or take a couple of millions.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

I get what you're saying and I agree about a couple of things. It's not the no1 that matters on it's own. It's the no1+ How well it's selling. Even before the rotten reviews I have never thought SS would hit 700M without china. And with those rotten reviews I thought it would barely reach 550 then later I thought 650. I think the interest for DC movies is there and it's huge.I had many issues with SS , I did not hate it but I could see the fractured narrative. It was tampered with heavily in post production that's for sure. But just imagine what a well structured SS with china would do ..... the potential is huge.

The same goes with BvS , it was divisive for sure but I have to say , it wasn't children friendly. It wasn't made for everyone. Even with that it made almost 900M. I assure you if it was kid friendly with a bit of pointless humor,even with a worse structured narrative, it would have crossed the 1B mark.

I loved it by the way ( I know, not everyone will agree, which is cool by me) The DCEU movies for me are in this order BvS >>>>>>>>>> SS > MOS even though MOS is the better structured movie between them , I enjoyed it the least even though I like superman more than batman. 

in short, all this talk about " it made this or achieved that only because there is no competition" is actually pointless IMO. It all comes to interest in the end. STB did not have that interest even though it was a better structured movie, so no matter what time of the year it opens it will still perform in the same range give or take a couple of millions.

I wasn't trying to say it achieved it's heights because of no competition. I was just trying to put in context "Top of the Box office" comments. Both movies have done remarkably well, and deserve credit for speaking to people who liked or enjoyed it, or loved it. Both BvS and SS would do well, no matter the competition, but some are acting like being "#1" is proof of something, and at the moment it isn't. The proof is their gross, how much they pulled in. You don't have to be at the top to be a success, and being at the top isn't proof of success. Sometimes you could just fail the least, I could look at the US political cycle to see that. (That was not calling either movie a failure)

Personally I enjoyed SS the most, and BvS had interesting ideas, and personally MOS pisses me off to this day, all the DCEU movies have had flaws that prevent them (to me at least) from being good movies. I can personally say I enjoyed SS more than Cap 1, Thor 1, IM 2, and most the X-Men movies, to throw them under this bus too.

At times I see this over reaction to DCEU that makes me cringe. It's never like or meh, it's always "Love or Hate" and I think it's okay to admit the movies are liked, maybe not loved, but they are liked well enough. They are flawed beasts, but there is growth and potential that I'd love to see foster from it. Course this is coming from someone who wants a Fan4stic 2.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I wasn't trying to say it achieved it's heights because of no competition. I was just trying to put in context "Top of the Box office" comments. Both movies have done remarkably well, and deserve credit for speaking to people who liked or enjoyed it, or loved it. Both BvS and SS would do well, no matter the competition, but some are acting like being "#1" is proof of something, and at the moment it isn't. The proof is their gross, how much they pulled in. You don't have to be at the top to be a success, and being at the top isn't proof of success. Sometimes you could just fail the least, I could look at the US political cycle to see that. (That was not calling either movie a failure)

Personally I enjoyed SS the most, and BvS had interesting ideas, and personally MOS pisses me off to this day, all the DCEU movies have had flaws that prevent them (to me at least) from being good movies. I can personally say I enjoyed SS more than Cap 1, Thor 1, IM 2, and most the X-Men movies, to throw them under this bus too.

At times I see this over reaction to DCEU that makes me cringe. It's never like or meh, it's always "Love or Hate" and I think it's okay to admit the movies are liked, maybe not loved, but they are liked well enough. They are flawed beasts, but there is growth and potential that I'd love to see foster from it. Course this is coming from someone who wants a Fan4stic 2.

I could not agree more. I think the love and hate thing comes from it being a direct competition to Marvel (that has roots for ages in history :P) so a lot of fans from both sides are being extremes. My sister has never in her life read a comic book , she is a very serious person ( unlike myself ) she teaches high school students , never thought I would see her attend a superhero movie three times. It happened with BvS. some of her students that were hard core Marvel or DC fans were having actual wars at school , and one day she talked about BvS and said how much she loved it and not knowing what DC or Marvel is , she said she enjoyed it way more than civil war and it's like a volcano erupted. The DC club went all high and the Marvel club screamed objections, AND this is how my sister knew of something called Marvel and DC , the poor thing .....  my best friend likes Marvel ( the MCU ) , she has made a promise to herself to never see a DC movie in cinema even if it got 100% on RT even though she has never read a comic :D it's really funny, she doesn't like the fact that MCU now has competition. I keep telling her they can co-exist ........

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

I could not agree more. I think the love and hate thing comes from it being a direct competition to Marvel (that has roots for ages in history :P) so a lot of fans from both sides are being extremes. My sister has never in her life read a comic book , she is a very serious person ( unlike myself ) she teaches high school students , never thought I would see her attend a superhero movie three times. It happened with BvS. some of her students that were hard core Marvel or DC fans were having actual wars at school , and one day she talked about BvS and said how much she loved it and not knowing what DC or Marvel is , she said she enjoyed it way more than civil war and it's like a volcano erupted. The DC club went all high and the Marvel club screamed objections, AND this is how my sister knew of something called Marvel and DC , the poor thing .....  my best friend likes Marvel ( the MCU ) , she has made a promise to herself to never see a DC movie in cinema even if it got 100% on RT even though she has never read a comic :D it's really funny, she doesn't like the fact that MCU now has competition. I keep telling her they can co-exist ........

As a comic book reader, I've long ago realized that it's all the same, writers, artists, even higher ups jump companies, so end of day if I'm loyal to a company, I'm just loyal to a brand. I'd rather enjoy good stories from writers/artists I like rather than ignore them because DC is on the cover not Marvel. 

I also don't like Snyder'so take on Superman, which hurts a lot of my enjoyment of DCEU. 

And comics and their movies are totally serious.:ph34r:

9 hours ago, Emerald kikyou said:

I think Fox is doing it because of the deal with Marvel , if they don't do a sequel they loose the rights to characters or something. I think they saw what happened with deadpool and saw  potential in FF characters ,IF they are used right. They don't want to loose the rights. We all know it's the era of franchise.

That's why I said it makes zero sense.   They've tried it once, twice, three times and failed each time.   What sane studio would keep making movies from that result?   It would be seen as insanity.  The fact that they kept going after two failures was crazy.   Imagine that happening with any other property....we would call it what it is...crazy.    I submit the Divergent series as a prime example.   After a certain point, it's about an emotional motivation.

Studios have "deals" with a lot of different people...that doesn't mean they make movies from properties and ideas that don't make them any money.  (or LOSE money in this case)   I'm sure a lot of writers and directors would love it if a "deal" meant the studio HAD to make a movie.

And of course they came out an announced they were going to keep making FF movies before Deadpool came out so that's not the reason.   This is about some studio exec in a high position who is stubborn, angry, or stupid as hell.

9 hours ago, mredman said:

if you have seen BvS and whats happening there its easy to see Suped will go through a change after his rebirth. People now love him and no he is protector of earth he no longer have the doubt on his shoulders anymore. He has all of the peoples trust now. Even Terio said that Suped and JL will be a lighter tone. Do some people even listen anymore.

Excuse me for paying attention to what is actually in their Superman movies.    When they change Supes, I'll know it and believe it.    I shouldn't be obligated to go read interviews with studio execs.    The movies are where the truth is....that's what we "listen" to.   They always talk a good game...all of them.

• Like 4

Mel hates Comic book Super Heroes.

GIBSON: I’m not interested in the stuff. Do you know what the difference between real superheroes and comic book superheroes is? Real superheroes didn’t wear spandex. So I don’t know. Spandex must cost a lot.

BURN THE WITCH!

:ph34r:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Tom Hardy wishes he had 1/100th of the talent and charisma of Mel Gibson.

Than God for Imperator Furiosa.

I've recently watched blood father and Mel was the only thing I liked about that movie.He can act magnificently. I really missed him as an actor.

15 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Ok thats it, I'm starting a fan club.

DO IT! :ohmyzod:I'll be the first to join!

Edited by Emerald kikyou
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

I submit the Divergent series as a prime example.   After a certain point, it's about an emotional motivation.

I agree with your point, but I don't know how Divergent relates to it, it was all an ongoing film series. not reboots like FF.  and the first two were moderately profitable for the studio. heck had they released the 3 one as the final film even with it's gross they probably would have ended up making profit off it eventually too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kalo said:

I agree with your point, but I don't know how Divergent relates to it, it was all an ongoing film series. not reboots like FF.  and the first two were moderately profitable for the studio. heck had they released the 3 one as the final film even with it's gross they probably would have ended up making profit off it eventually too. 

Yeah, Divergent was probably a bad comparison.   They did go into it with the intent of making multiple movies.   The FF thing with Fox is just baffling.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Yeah, Divergent was probably a bad comparison.   They did go into it with the intent of making multiple movies.   The FF thing with Fox is just baffling.

Though critically derided FF 2005 was a pretty good earner for them.  Even FF:RSS probably eventually made profit especially since home video was much stronger then.  But they saw it as a series of diminishing returns so there wasn't another.   I've no doubt that they thought a reboot in a different style would be successful, or at least successful enough to make retaining the license worthwhile.  They certainly did make a film thinking it would lose them around $100m.   But with this loss I don't think they could justify another big budget FF4 movie to their board or shareholders even if it means letting the license expire.   Disney know they can't so they aren't offering to buy it out and they can wait because the series is currently too toxic to reboot (though they loved some of it's villains).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=fantasticfour.htm

• Like 2