Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Have you read any of the reviews?

Yes. Please find me the one that says that robbing men is female empowerment. 

7 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

Eh might bring some emotion back to the soulless cookie cutter machine that is the mcu.

Yeah, man. Who needs Peter parker getting dusted when you can have Black Widow calling herself an infertile monster. Eh?  Emotional overload. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

Again with the vanilla comments. If you gonna come at me, do better. Cant waste my time with your grandpa rants.

Get off endgame's dick and bring some heat brotha. Otherwise shut the fuck up before you get smacked the fuck up.

LMAO! We have an internet tough guy here. How are you going to smack me, genius? Instead of wasting your time making weak threats that you can’t back up, you should do something productive, like watching Avengers: Endgame.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Haha 4
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, HeadShot said:

Yes. Please find me the one that says that robbing men is female empowerment. 

I never claimed that people are saying that robbing men is empowering. I’m saying that the film is being praised as female empowerment in spite of the fact that its premise involves drugging and robbing men.

My point was that if critics understand nuance enough to be able to accept something with a problematic premise as progressive, then there’s no reason they should be attacking Joker for revolving around a mentally ill white man who turns to violence. 

1 minute ago, Walt Disney said:

LMAO! We have an internet tough guy here. How are you going to smack me, genius? Instead of wasting your time making weak threats that you can’t back up, you should do something productive, like watching Avengers: Endgame.

Tupac quote first of all.

Second. Did you just suggest that watching endgame is something productive? Jesus take the wheel. Oh my god. I cant. You cant be real. You cant stan marvel/disney this much. My god.

Bro honestly theres more to life than these movies. You can't be this blind my man. Honestly even watching TDK isn't that productive and I will stan that movie to death. Is there entertainment? Sure. But there's way more to this world than believing these movies are productive use of time. Dont be like this.

Third. Find something more than Disney. Fanboying is a passion but it cant drive your life (and you comments suggest it drives yours).

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I never claimed that people are saying that robbing men is empowering. I’m saying that the film is being praised as female empowerment in spite of the fact that its premise involves drugging and robbing men.

My point was that if critics understand nuance enough to be able to accept something with a problematic premise as progressive, then there’s no reason they should be attacking Joker for revolving around a mentally ill white man who turns to violence. 

It's about context. One is about strippers stealing money from asshole wall street scum. The other is drawing parallels to mentally ill, incel, school shooter white men. One of these is a bigger problem in today's society.  

Anyway I haven't seen either movie so I don't know what they are about. I need to form my own opinion. If the Joker is indeed promoting degenerate behaviour then I see why some might have the problem with it. However if it's framing it as something bad and something that shouldn't be done then thats a different story. 

Edited by HeadShot

3 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

I love the MCU but they need to stop undercutting serious moments with jokes. I cringed through out the entire Thor arch in End Game. His pain was real and instead of treating it as such it was used as a punchline.  I'm surprised they didn't crack a joke during Iron Mans funeral lol. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

I love the MCU but they need to stop undercutting serious moments with jokes. I cringed through out the entire Thor arch in End Game. His pain was real and instead of treating it as such it was used as a punchline.  I'm surprised they didn't crack a joke during Iron Mans funeral lol. 

First of all let me just say thank you for watching the video and engaging in a civilized discussion.

As much as I dislike whedon as well(age of ultron hulk and BW plus josstice league), Feige and the mcu have failed to emotionally deliver on those moments that made the first avengers magical. Even the part where Cap and Iron man argue and cap tells him to put on the suit, while whedon undercuts the argument, it works. Other times they are afraid of emotional, which kills the movies for me (like aunt may is cool with peter being spiderman vs in spiderman ps4 when may dies).

Just wish they would get more emotionally invested in these moments.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

First of all let me just say thank you for watching the video and engaging in a civilized discussion.

As much as I dislike whedon as well(age of ultron hulk and BW plus josstice league), Feige and the mcu have failed to emotionally deliver on those moments that made the first avengers magical. Even the part where Cap and Iron man argue and cap tells him to put on the suit, while whedon undercuts the argument, it works. Other times they are afraid of emotional, which kills the movies for me (like aunt may is cool with peter being spiderman vs in spiderman ps4 when may dies).

Just wish they would get more emotionally invested in these moments.

I enjoy videos like that. I'm always up to hear someone elses opinion even if it differs from my own.

They do undercut a lot of heavy moments for sure. I doesn't kill the movies for me since there are still scenes that deliver the emotional aspect.  The dusting scene, the Iron Man funeral, Civil War in general, come to mind. I feel like they are weaker in the solo movies. Eg. Captain Marvel, while I enjoyed it, was a mess in that regard. There's not a lot of emotion from Carol when she realizes   hat her entire life has been a lie and that she's been killing innocents. I'd like to think that something like that would carry more weight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chad DC said:

Tupac quote first of all.

Second. Did you just suggest that watching endgame is something productive? Jesus take the wheel. Oh my god. I cant. You cant be real. You cant stan marvel/disney this much. My god.

Bro honestly theres more to life than these movies. You can't be this blind my man. Honestly even watching TDK isn't that productive and I will stan that movie to death. Is there entertainment? Sure. But there's way more to this world than believing these movies are productive use of time. Dont be like this.

Third. Find something more than Disney. Fanboying is a passion but it cant drive your life (and you comments suggest it drives yours).

You’re an Avatar fanboy crying because your favorite movie isn’t number 1 all-time at the box office anymore. You come off as angry and bitter.  Fanboying seems to be your life. My advice is move on with your life, or better yet, get a life.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Disbelief 1

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I apologize that I’m once again bringing up the controversy surrounding Joker, but seeing how well Hustlers is doing both critically and financially has made me once again shake my head in frustration. So, Joker is a film that promotes intel culture and troubled white men, eh? If that’s the case, then shouldn’t Hustlers also be seen as problematic? That film is literally about strippers who drug and rob unsuspecting men, which is a blatantly criminal thing to do, and one of the actresses in the movie has actually done such things in real life.

I’m not saying Hustlers is a bad film, but if Joker is getting crapped on for its supposedly problematic narrative, then why is Hustlers being praised as an example of female empowerment? 

I'm sorry but this doesn't sound too different from those racebending arguments where the anti crowd think they've made a point by suggesting a white Shaft or Black Panther, etc. There is some important context you'd have to miss or ignore to think this is a valid comparison. 

2 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I'm sorry but this doesn't sound too different from those racebending arguments where the anti crowd think they've made a point by suggesting a white Shaft or Black Panther, etc. There is some important context you'd have to miss or ignore to think this is a valid comparison. 

is it not valid to criticise something for celebrating criminal acts as some kind of moral victory against Le Patriarchy?

Nothing wrong with showing people doing bad things, and nothing wrong with having bad-guy protagonists. Most heist movies are like this. But i don't recall classics such as The Italian Job trying to give our protagonists the moral high ground.

People are cheering this film on for fighting back against men by robbing them. I think particularly since one of the cast members has done this, you can't really use any defence of "these characters aren't meant to be good"

That said I haven't seen the movie so maybe I am getting the wrong impression.

14 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Are you suggesting that Shaft cant be white? Geez, racist much?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

What context? 

1 hour ago, Walt Disney said:

You’re an Avatar fanboy crying because your favorite movie isn’t number 1 all-time at the box office anymore. You come off as angry and bitter.  Fanboying seems to be your life. My advice is move on with your life, or better yet, get a life.

☹️

Actually not an avatar fanboy, just a DC stan. Just pointed out something that might happen, you know to create hype for a sequel to 10 year old movie. Dont know why you assumed I was, my profile and posts clearly indicate that I only stan DC (maybe you assumed so because it fit your narrative).

In reality you're the one coming off angry and bitter (see: "get a life"). I would take my advice and find something more productive than worshiping disney.

Really hope I didn't hit a nerve (I say this sincerely).

30 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

What context? 

I assume that Black panther is enriched in african American culture and a symbol of black empowerment.

I don't see how this comparison works myself, but ororo has a bias against Joker some reason (even though she hasn't watched it🤣).

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

is it not valid to criticise something for celebrating criminal acts as some kind of moral victory against Le Patriarchy?

Nothing wrong with showing people doing bad things, and nothing wrong with having bad-guy protagonists. Most heist movies are like this. But i don't recall classics such as The Italian Job trying to give our protagonists the moral high ground.

People are cheering this film on for fighting back against men by robbing them. I think particularly since one of the cast members has done this, you can't really use any defence of "these characters aren't meant to be good"

That said I haven't seen the movie so maybe I am getting the wrong impression.

I can't speak on specifics since I haven't seen the movie or read any reviews. But you've pointed out one of the big reasons why people aren't objecting to Hustlers. It's essentially a heist movie, one of the few which centers women of color. That in itself makes comparisons to Joker far less compelling.

And even if this one gives its protagonists the moral high ground, it still doesn't carry the same weight or perceptions as Joker. The latter hits on a very big issue and for some, doesn't do enough to subvert its very real narrative. 

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Are you suggesting that Shaft cant be white? Geez, racist much?

Good joke. 

2 hours ago, The Chad DC said:

☹️

Actually not an avatar fanboy, just a DC stan. Just pointed out something that might happen, you know to create hype for a sequel to 10 year old movie. Dont know why you assumed I was, my profile and posts clearly indicate that I only stan DC (maybe you assumed so because it fit your narrative).

In reality you're the one coming off angry and bitter (see: "get a life"). I would take my advice and find something more productive than worshiping disney.

Really hope I didn't hit a nerve (I say this sincerely).

Why would you think I worship Disney? You don’t even know me. You’re the one calling me “grandpa” and threatening violence. I was just correctly pointing out  that Disney is the one who will either re-release Avatar or they won’t. Getting a life is an appropriate response to some random dude who is making crazy assumptions and trying to insult me and failing miserably. 

Edited by Walt Disney