Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Either "journalists" who caused this controversy are ugly stupid and don't unterstand what they are doing, or they are just horrible human beings and psychos who want to get someone killed to cause another controversy for clicks. Maybe both. But definitely nothing else. All they do is spread panic and histeria, most of them didn't even see the movie, 99.99% of the world didn't see the movie.

Yeah I'm gonna out money on "journalists and film critics want people to be murdered because they didn't like a movie" to be a thing that isn't fucking even remotely a sane thing to say. Jesus christ, get a fucking grip.

The Department of Defense isn't out to get DC Comics. Negative opinions and reviews are not a conspiracy to orchestrate a massacre for article clicks. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Jeeesus, and I thought the "Marvel pays critics to hate DC movies" conspiracy was dumb but now we have "journalists are trying to orchestrate terrorist attacks to make WB look bad"??????????

Edited by SpiderByte

18 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah I'm gonna out money on "journalists and film critics want people to be murdered because they didn't like a movie" to be a thing that isn't fucking even remotely a sane thing to say. Jesus christ, get a fucking grip.

The Department of Defense isn't out to get DC Comics. Negative opinions and reviews are not a conspiracy to orchestrate a massacre for article clicks. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Jeeesus, and I thought the "Marvel pays critics to hate DC movies" conspiracy was dumb but now we have "journalists are trying to orchestrate terrorist attacks to make WB look bad"??????????

Nobody says that they are doing that on purpose, but if someone gets killed, it's because of panic and histeria they caused, not the movie. They are just idiots, plain and simple. Department of Defense did a statement only because some site leaked the info, they weren't going to state anything because, as they say, there's no credible threat.

Edited by Firepower

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Nobody says that they are doing that on purpose, 

Um.

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

or they are just horrible human beings and psychos who want to get someone killed to cause another controversy for clicks. Maybe both. But definitely nothing else

Edited by SpiderByte

17 minutes ago, Firepower said:

"Or". I honestly don't know what's going on in their brains, maybe some of them are really psychos, but I still think most of them don't do it on purpose.

Oh so they're either idiots OR terrorists. That's definitely not still stupid.

Edited by SpiderByte

@SpiderByte Come on man, you can't deny that certain portions of the media are pushing this hard ("this" being trying to spook everyone about the impending violence by incels because of the dangerous Joker movie). @Firepower may be going a bit over the top, but I see his/her point: the media seems to be just daring people (presumably, in THEIR OPINION, this film's target audience) to do something horrible. It's pretty freaking messed up. Their agenda here is totally transparent.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I wasn't going to respond to this but I must say that "not all white men..." gave me chuckle. Thanks. 

We straight up have a racist and sexist here.

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

So now apparently the track is that by reporting on warnings of a potential massacres, the media wants to cause a mass shooting to...hurt Jokers reception? Seriously? People think the media wants civilians to die so that Joker looks bad?????

You realize shooters have manifestos that they want aired with the most publicity. The media just provided them a platform through this hysteria. Take off your marvel and DC glasses and see the bigger picture.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, JB33 said:

@SpiderByte Come on man, you can't deny that certain portions of the media are pushing this hard ("this" being trying to spook everyone about the impending violence by incels because of the dangerous Joker movie). @Firepower may be going a bit over the top, but I see his/her point: the media seems to be just daring people (presumably, in THEIR OPINION, this film's target audience) to do something horrible. It's pretty freaking messed up. Their agenda here is totally transparent.

Oh my goddddd when will DC Stans accept that negative opinions or criticism is not an agenda or conspiracy. Every single time a movie even gets some negative response it becomes some plot or agenda. Christ.

Edited by SpiderByte

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Oh my god when will DC Stans accept that negative opinions or criticism is not an agenda or conspiracy

You're blind man. You're not even addressing people's valid arguments.

Plus, I'm not a DC stan. Ask anyone here.

Also, I'm not even talking about this in the context of the reviews. Who cares about the reviews? I'm simply talking about the narrative around the film now.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Also, I'm not even talking about this in the context of the reviews. Who cares about the reviews? I'm simply talking about the narrative around the film now.

Six of one half dozen of the other. I'm not the one calling actual victims of mass shootings with REAL concerns idiots or claiming the press want terrorist attacks to happen.

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

But the problem is he’s an MCU Stan and wouldn’t even be addressing this issue if it wasn’t about a DC movie. I honestly don’t even know why any of you are even wasting your time responding to him. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Six of one half dozen of the other. I'm not the one calling actual victims of mass shootings with REAL concerns idiots or claiming the press want terrorist attacks to happen.

The real claim of shooting victims is for gun reform. You are actively changing that to fit your narrative. Don't take the high ground here and use victims to defend your argument.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cax16 said:

But the problem is he’s an MCU Stan and wouldn’t even be addressing this issue if it wasn’t about a DC movie. I honestly don’t even know why any of you are even wasting your time responding to him. 

That's probably part of it, but I'm not sure if anything is really resolved beyond just being "DC vs. Marvel".  So far, it's the same in every instance: one side is fighting to save the comic book industry from destruction.  But who benefits?  Can you say "Marvel is doomed, because they stole all their heroes from us with the first two movies"?  No—it seems to me that the only reason they're fighting is because Marvel (and DC) are both trying to save the comic book business, but the companies can't agree on what the industry's next step should be.  If they were truly fighting to save the comic book business, they would do everything in their power to not lose any publishers—including those in the "big three". It's a shame—because it seems like a great time to be a comic book writer (if Marvel and DC are so worried with a future recession, we'll be happy to get those books back!).

19 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

What I realize is that there are plenty of misconceptions about mental illness.

I've worked in a high-performing nonprofit health center where staff have been trained so they have better access to mental health resources when they do get to the point of crisis. In the last two years we've been able to improve our access to crisis treatment.

The problem with that is that it is not always easy to get the information you need to get to people who may need help. If you are dealing with a family member of a person suffering mental health issues, having someone to tell them "they have an issue…they should see a therapist" can be difficult.

I love that word "help" because it represents the importance of support. But so often people have to navigate the world without someone to tell them that it is OK to ask for help. Mental illness is a serious illness and should not be hidden away. If it is difficult to get people to have that understanding, then they will be hard to get help in the very first place.

Concerns about Joker are valid. It’s a clear riff off Taxi Driver, which is literally the most famous example ever of a film directly inspiring real life violence, in addition to the whole Aurora stuff, which just adds fuel to the fire. I mean, if someone had shot up a theater at a John Wick screening and a previous would be assassin said he was inspired by The Matrix, I think security would be pretty heightened for John Wick 4.