Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

LMAO @Firepower accused the press of plotting literal terrorism and loosely paraphrasing what the Aurora victims said is a bridge too far?

What's with your and Ororo's overreliance on phrases such as lol and lmao? Starting with that doesn't take away from the OP nor does it validate your point. And I have no idea why you are deflecting my questions and aiming to change the subject. I never discussed Firepower, I am talking about you.

Answer my question first.

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

Ya know, those who keep making things about white men, white men, WHITE MEN are the most divisive of all.

I'm sick and tired of reading people, in the media and otherwise, make everything about skin color and gender, especially when it comes to white men.

Fuck off and dont you dare claim the moral high ground, that you're somehow promoting unity. You're not. You're just against white men, which is literally no better or different. Simple as that.

/rant.

Even though I think Bill Maher has disappointingly become a fucking lunatic in a lot of ways(neoliberal apologist/concern troll and one of Russiagate's chief fear mongers and propagandists), his latest new rule segment is about white shame and its pretty great and hilarious.  Definitely a pro-click.

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nah, I think your mind had already confirmed that you won't like the movie before those comments. I'm pretty sure that what he said in an interview didn't change much. You just have a point that isn't just "I hate this movie I haven't already seen". If you think Philips has nothing interesting to say then say that after watching the movie instead of based on some offhand comments he made. I guess Inarittu has nothing interesting to say because he called superhero movies the scum of the film industry.

Also did you miss the part where Wick's a Ruska Romani Belurusian? It's highly unlikely that he had any Asian heritage. And all this conversation and outrage about Philips calling Reeves a white man (which he didn't) really doesn't matter in the end and only a weird diversion from the argument Philips was making. 

And I don't get what's wrong with what Philips said. Is John Wick execused because it throws away all morality (John Wick IS not a good person) and replaces it with cool action sequences?

Good lord. Are you actually reading my posts? Did I say anything he said changed my opinion? Have I not always made it clear that I have no interest in this movie or confidence in Phillips' ability to tell an interesting story? My opinion has always been the same... that there is literally nothing I have seen or heard about this movie or Phillips or any movie he has done that makes me think that he has anything interesting or original or thought provoking to say. The fact that he has since made multiple ignorant comments is just more proof of that, not *the* proof I needed. Get it??

Yikes at you thinking that Ruska Roma is tantamount to white. The Romani people are originally from India and many of them even now would not be described as white. Hardly the proof you seem to think it is. 

Wick may not be a good person but I'd say it matters that 1) he didn't want to kill 2) he doesn't kill or go after random, innocent civilians 3) he's not positioned as mentally ill 4) the JW movies aren't aiming for social commentary or some larger message about our society. The latter continues to highlight the most hilarious defense for Joker, a movie that's praised for being more than a popcorn movie but its defenders can't help but try to compare it to such movies to expose some sort of hypocrisy. Oh, the irony... 

• ...wtf 1

14 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Good lord. Are you actually reading my posts? Did I say anything he said changed my opinion? Have I not always made it clear that I have no interest in this movie or confidence in Phillips' ability to tell an interesting story? My opinion has always been the same... that there is literally nothing I have seen or heard about this movie or Phillips or any movie he has done that makes me think that he has anything interesting or original or thought provoking to say. The fact that he has since made multiple ignorant comments is just more proof of that, not *the* proof I needed. Get it??

Yikes at you thinking that Ruska Roma is tantamount to white. The Romani people are originally from India and many of them even now would not be described as white. Hardly the proof you seem to think it is. 

Wick may not be a good person but I'd say it matters that 1) he didn't want to kill 2) he doesn't kill or go after random, innocent civilians 3) he's not positioned as mentally ill 4) the JW movies aren't aiming for social commentary or some larger message about our society. The latter continues to highlight the most hilarious defense for Joker, a movie that's praised for being more than a popcorn movie but its defenders can't help but try to compare it to such movies to expose some sort of hypocrisy. Oh, the irony... 

Phillips has brought to our attention of the risks of stealing Mike Tyson's tiger when in Vegas. That's a lesson Samuel Johnson would have been proud of.

I'm just saying Phillips is playing high and mighty one second and then hiding from the press the next. When you make an Elliot Rodger/James Holmes/Sad White Man Mad At Society pic expect hard questions.

Helpful tips: you can't have an Oscar campaign and run from questions.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • ...wtf 1

49 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I'm just saying Phillips is playing high and mighty one second and then hiding from the press the next. When you make an Elliot Rodger/James Holmes/Sad White Man Mad At Society pic expect hard questions.

:universal facepalm:

Yeah, he runs away from questions, question to be precise, he already answered thousand times. Because those "moral" people ask the same stupid question not to fuel the controversy to make more headlines for clicks, but because they actually care, lol. Poor Todd, he's been hiding from the press for a month... by answering their questions and giving them interviews...

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Helpful tips: you can't have an Oscar campaign and run from questions.

Or journalists should have a sense of humilty (crazy I know) and stop playing inquisitors with a  moral high ground privilege.

Remind me of something but not sure what, some people they used to fight for centuries ... eons ago ...

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

In the end, only power matters, not virtue.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Or journalists should have a sense of humilty (crazy I know) and stop playing inquisitors with a  moral high ground privilege.

Remind me of something but not sure what, some people they used to fight for centuries ... eons ago ...

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

In the end, only power matters, not virtue.

In America, a country where there's a Sad White Boy Mass Killer every few weeks, and you make a Said White Boy Mass Killer movie, expect questions about that. Not rocket science.

12 hours ago, TMP said:

The Irishman already certified fresh at 41 reviews, while fellow De Niro joint Joker still hasn't got it at 127 reviews. Sad!

meanwhile Marriage Story is still not certified after being 100% with 66 reviews. only Marty gets that special treatment :bagoverhead:

6 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Imagine being so mad at a film you haven't even seen. And why do you think the movie will say nothing interesting? You haven't seen it yet. You aren't giving the movie a chance because you've decided to hate it from the moment it was introduced.

The Ruska Romani originated from India but are part of the Indo-European group. Someone like John Wick won't be considering Indian-American or Asian-American but Caucasian like almost all Indo-Europeans. At that point, you're gonna have to consider Persians Indian too (and pretty much all of them are considered white). 

Also, John Wick did kill innocent people. He was an assassin. Just because he doesn't do it in the movie (he did kill random guards and security in the first film). And the last point you made was already something I argued against. Because a movie doesn't look at the morality of his actions doesn't change much. Unless he's using water guns, and not real guns, it makes no difference. 

If Joker fails at social commentary and it's messages, then that's a fine criticism but if people assume Joker will start mass shootings without even having seen the movie, then that's delusional and that's no different than the right wing's comments on video games causing shootings. I wouldn't have said far-right (since that really isn't a far-right argument even) but it certainly is a similar point to the one conservatives have been making for years.

If it came to me I wouldn't use Wick as a defense but A Clockwork Orange since that's a well regarded movie that literally uses violence as a metaphor for free will. If people are fine with a movie that makes the audience empathise with rapist and murderer and asks if those acts are truly the worst form of evil, I don't see the problem here.

Edited by lorddemaxus

@Ororo Munroe now that all that shit is out of the way, my point is that you're too caught up on the details of his argument and not the point itself which is that this movie is being scrutinised on no basis at all. You aren't criticising his point, just the small details. Forget the specific terms he's used and look at the bigger picture. Why is this movie dangerous in ways other movies aren't? That's his argument. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

People are still arguing about the joker, what a surprise.  It's quite amazing to see the people who've not seen it yet, to see a guy like this go from his normal person, to a serious and serious actor.      It's quite amazing to see, but it really does feel like it was the right thing to do.  The Joker is one of the most successful actors of all time.  He is someone I would idolize, and would watch the Joker in several movies and TV shows.  Even if Batman did not go to him, I wouldn't mind having a movie featuring the Joker.      The main thing is that they really got a lot of people interested in Batman after he showed up in The Dark Knight.  People were all excited about seeing Batman be a bit more serious and serious, more and more.      I think that for the people who liked the Joker more in The Dark Knight, in that movie, it was a nice change of pace.  The Joker just seemed much more fun and less of a villain from the films that came before.

There s no need to see The Joker.

I ve directed it.

It is de facto a masterpiece that will be remembered, revered, analized and dicussed for decades to come.

The 2010's will be summed up by my movie as a pivotal piece of art that changed the game forever.

• Knock It Off 1