Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

De Niro should stop yelling at clouds on live TV and remember that eons ego, he could reach those Joaquin Phoenix playing The Joker acting heights.

You are saying he pulled off a Taxi Driver performance

I watched the movie yesterday and I thought it was great, it lived up to my expectations, 9/10 from me for now, maybe 9.5 after rewatch. It's actually really different from the script (even though many scenes, dialogues and plot are the same), Zazie and Phillips didn't lie after all, some big changes completely change perception of the story. I'm not sure about some cuts/small changes, need a rewatch, but overall I think it was an improvement over the script, at least in some big changes.

Edited by Firepower
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Most people get annoyed by celebrities preaching politics as Hollywood as a whole is hypocritical.

Hollywood was full of serial sexual abusers like Wienstien for decades and many actors and big shots said nothing even though they knew about it in some way. 

Now the same people who stayed silent are #metoo 

What exactly would the people who knew about Weinstein’s actions have been able to do? If the victims weren’t going to come forward, then all they would do would be potentially ruining their own careers by accusing a powerful industry figure of sex crimes. 

5 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I watched the movie yesterday and I thought it was great, it lived up to my expectations, 9/10 from me for now, maybe 9.5 after rewatch. It's actually really different from the script (even though many scenes, dialogues and plot are the same), Zazie and Phillips didn't lie after all, some big changes completely change perception of the story. I'm not sure about some cuts/small changes, need a rewatch, but overall I think it was an improvement over the script, at least in some big changes.

How should one prepare for the violence/horror? Like is there a movie with similar violence? I don't want to sit in the theatre and have to waste 5 minutes adjusting to the violence lmao.

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

What exactly would the people who knew about Weinstein’s actions have been able to do? If the victims weren’t going to come forward, then all they would do would be potentially ruining their own careers by accusing a powerful industry figure of sex crimes. 

What we learned from  #metoo is that staying quiet is what enables people like Weinstien 

So that argument falls flat. 

20 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

However the political critique in not uniform and has come from American reviewers and we know that American media is notoriously click bait oriented compared to media from other developed countries.

To pretend this is just a typical critique politically minded critique is even more ridiculous based on what we seen so far. 

We live in a hyper partisan time and putting a headline "Joke appeals to Incels" gets more clicks, that is a fact. 

I wasn't aware that political critique had to be uniform. That American critics would have a different take is hardly suspicious. 

I know it's more comforting to believe that Joker really is a masterpiece and anyone who says otherwise has some sort of agenda but that doesn't make the idea any less ridiculous. 

14 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

How should one prepare for the violence/horror? Like is there a movie with similar violence? I don't want to sit in the theatre and have to waste 5 minutes adjusting to the violence lmao.

I don't think it's more violent than Taxi Driver or Clockwork Orange, controversy about violence was definitely overblown (like Joker was the first dark and violent movie they ever watched), at least to me (or maybe they also meant emotional violence?). If you watched those movies you are good to go. About horror, I can't say for sure because I don't watch many of them, but it was definitely intense, on the border of horror genre. I think it's more emotionally violent than physically violent, like VA once described "continuous punches in the gut".

Edited by Firepower
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I wasn't aware that political critique had to be uniform. That American critics would have a different take is hardly suspicious. 

I know it's more comforting to believe that Joker really is a masterpiece and anyone who says otherwise has some sort of agenda but that doesn't make the idea any less ridiculous. 

You are pretending clickbait reviews dont exist lol 

16 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

What we learned from  #metoo is that staying quiet is what enables people like Weinstien 

So that argument falls flat. 

The thing is that the reason Weinstein eventually got taken down is because victims like Rose McGowan came forward. I’d imagine that a number of people in Hollywood like Quentin Tarantino probably didn’t tell people about Weinstein’s actions out of fear for their own careers. You could say that’s cowardly of them, but unless the victims came forward, there probably wouldn’t have been much they could’ve done. 

Can't believe some people would argue  The Russos Brothers made an artistic statement whih their CGI goofy battles & their Thumb purple villain in both Avengers film.

Todd Phillips asks big & tough questions about the fabric of the Human Condition.

The Russos can continue to pew pew for money.

Todd Phillips makes real Movies & Art with a soul.

Probably the last mature adult filmmaker in  the Hollywood Corporate machine that makes assembly line films.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Watched Joker. The filmmaking was absolutely incredible. Everything from the score to the cinematography to the production design to Phoenix's performance. But the script was pretty mediocre (borderline below average). Offers some tense moments but a lot of the script is heavy handed in many parts and the writing is just contrived. This would have not been getting the ratings it is if the filmmaking wasn't so good. I would honestly put it below Shazam, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman but I had fun and wouldn't mind watching it again.

• Astonished 1

36 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The thing is that the reason Weinstein eventually got taken down is because victims like Rose McGowan came forward. I’d imagine that a number of people in Hollywood like Quentin Tarantino probably didn’t tell people about Weinstein’s actions out of fear for their own careers. You could say that’s cowardly of them, but unless the victims came forward, there probably wouldn’t have been much they could’ve done. 

It's LMD. Best not to dive in there.

• Thanks 1