Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I suppose OUATIH does have the advantage of actually taking place in 1960s Hollywood, but I still have a feeling that Jojo Rabbit will win for the same reason that Green Book did. Of course, I haven’t seen the movie yet, but it’s a PG-13 movie about why bigotry is bad, so that’s something it has in common with GB. 

Marty and Tarantino losing to Jojo would be... something.

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

@lorddemaxus I think that Jojo will actually go up when critics who are not festival highbrow crowd chime in. 

That's what I thought would happen to Joker but it didn't. I think the charm of the movie will wear off. Just like with Joker it seems (I'm basing this on reviews) like its trying to be something different but the movie itself is pretty empty and is scared to say something interesting. 

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

That's what I thought would happen to Joker but it didn't. I think the charm of the movie will wear off. Just like with Joker it seems (I'm basing this on reviews) like its trying to be something different but the movie itself is pretty empty and is scared to say something interesting. 

I see. Given circumstances, if neither is saying something interesting, it would be better for a movie that actually has something to say to win or we'd get another Winner that is considered a poor win in hindsight. 

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

joker does an evil laugh as he writes harambe on the ballot paper. truly the clown prince of crime has committed another fiendish prank against the citizens of gotham.

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Letoker was totes a libertarian 

Joker would probably take a page from Leto's book and leave dead gorilla body parts on the doorsteps of people who didn't vote for him. 

Considering reception it's getting from general audience and fans (masterpiece level average scores from some popular foreign imdb type sites), I think there'll be a big gap between audience and american critics reception. As I said once, it's not just dark and violent movie, it's kind of relatable movie in some way or the other to many people, "people's movie" you name it, box office and very strong audience reception could help it with awards, just like it helped some recent award hits, RT score never mattered in this question. Gladiator won Best Picture, Actor and some other Oscars because general audience absolutely loved it (and so Oscar voters who are closer to ga than critics), it was monumental movie for them, and it was big box office hit, but critics didn't like it much.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

Joker wasn't meant to be an Oscar contender, and certainly wasn't considered one when it was first announced. Just read the first page of the thread in this very forum. Depressing films usually don't do so well at the Oscars; it was a commercial project.

That is what made the Golden Lion, the most prestigious award ever won by a blockbuster since LOTR, so surprising. Joker instantly became the superhero movie event of 2019, almost by accident.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

Considering reception it's getting from general audience and fans (masterpiece level average scores from some popular foreign imdb type sites), I think there'll be a big gap between audience and american critics reception. As I said once, it's not just dark and violent movie, it's kind of relatable movie in some way or the other to many people, box office and very strong audience reception could help it with awards, just like with some recent award hits, RT score never mattered in this question. Gladiator won Best Picture, Actor and some other oscars because general audience absolutely loved it, it was monumental movie for them, and it was box office hit, but critics didn't like it much.

true though that was almost 20 years ago. Now movies like Gladiator don't win anymore. 

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Joker wasn't meant to be an Oscar contender, and certainly wasn't considered one when it was first announced. Just read the first page of the thread in this very forum. Depressing films usually don't do so well at the Oscars; it was a commercial project.

That is what made the Golden Lion, the most prestigious award ever won by a blockbuster since LOTR, so surprising. Joker instantly became the superhero movie event of 2019, almost by accident.

I find it difficult to believe that Phillips wasn’t hoping for some Oscar buzz when he pitched the movie to WB, or when he hired Joaquin Phoenix. 

lmfao, Joker really got it's certified stamp yesterday, lost it today when it hit 69%, and got it back again now that it's 70%. Truly the antics that would make the Joker himself proud.

• Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 1

There's a really nice texture to the Joker; the cinematography, the colour, the set and production design and the costumes. Everything feels so real, so tangible, even the framing of the violence. The script has issues, but the craft is some of the best in any funnybook movie ever. Also, Joaquin looked like a human chicken bone every-time he took his shirt off

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

true though that was almost 20 years ago. Now movies like Gladiator don't win anymore. 

Because there weren't many movies like Gladiator (in terms of appeal and reception of general audience).

Edited by Firepower

Isn't Bradley Cooper a producer on Joker as well? Man is a seven time nominee and pretty much owes getting to where he is today to Phillips considering The Hangover was his first major lead role. I imagine the movie was conceived as a prestige project on the some level from the beginning.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

There's a really nice texture to the Joker; the cinematography, the colour, the set and production design and the costumes. Everything feels so real, so tangible, even the framing of the violence. The script has issues, but the craft is some of the best in any funnybook movie ever. Also, Joaquin looked like a human chicken bone every-time he took his shirt off

And the score. I was surprised by how good the filmmaking is in this film. I personally think the filmmaking carried the movie more than Phoenix's performance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

lmfao, Joker really got it's certified stamp yesterday, lost it today when it hit 69%, and got it back again now that it's 70%. Truly the antics that would make the Joker himself proud.

It shouldn't have got it back at 70%.  That's a Joker kind of glitch.  Once it lost it needed to get back to 75% to get CF again.

• Haha 1