Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

And the score. I was surprised by how good the filmmaking is in this film. I personally think the filmmaking carried the movie more than Phoenix's performance.

for me I thought Phoenix + the score carried it more than the direction. some scenes looked like Philips didn't know what to do with Arthur and let Joaquin do his thing. 

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Isn't Bradley Cooper a producer on Joker as well? Man is a seven time nominee and pretty much owes getting to where he is today to Phillips considering The Hangover was his first major lead role. I imagine the movie was conceived as a prestige project on the some level from the beginning.

Cooper is a national treasure. he'll win soon I have no doubt about it. 

23 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Joker is certainly an Oscar friendly movie. It's gonna do well with in the nternational awards, the guilds and with the HFPA (which is why Bohemian Rhapsody, Vice, and Green Book became competitors last year with zero critics support).

Joker is a comic book movie (as much as its wants to be more) and that alone means it's not Oscar friendly. It may get some recognition with the HFPA but unlike the other movies you mentioned, it's not "feel good" nor does it have a message that Hollywood loves to applaud, in general. So yeah, it's a movie on the bubble during awards season and without great box office reception, it likely doesn't have a chance at any major awards, outside of JP, perhaps. 

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

70% on RT now...What's going on with this movie on RT?

Can a movie be certified fresh and lose that? That's probably the first time it happens.

Alien: Covenant was certified fresh, but lost it too, but they gave it too early in that case. Joker was just review bombed by american press after many many reviews already in.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Joker is certainly an Oscar friendly movie. It's gonna do well with in the nternational awards, the guilds and with the HFPA (which is why Bohemian Rhapsody, Vice, and Green Book became competitors last year with zero critics support).

All of those movies had an old fashioned quality that's more to their taste than something like Joker ever could. Not saying Joker can be ruled out, but it definitely falls into a genre they historically haven't cared much for.

19 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Joker is a comic book movie (as much as its wants to be more) and that alone means it's not Oscar friendly. It may get some recognition with the HFPA but unlike the other movies you mentioned, it's not "feel good" nor does it have a message that Hollywood loves to applaud, in general. So yeah, it's a movie on the bubble during awards season and without great box office reception, it likely doesn't have a chance at any major awards, outside of JP, perhaps. 

I really don't think the bias against comic book movies is as bad as people think. It's mostly because comic book movies just didn't hit the emotions that the academy would appreciate. Even Logan was attached to a decade old superhero franchise and did feel like a superhero movie at times. I think this does have something to appeal to the Oscar crowd. I think it isn't feel good but it is entertaining and if audiences are eating it up (which they are), I don't think there is anything edgy enough to offend the academy.

And the controversy helps.

Edited by lorddemaxus

DC Ranking since MoS:

1. Wonder Woman 8/10

2. Shazam 7/10

3. Teen Titans Go to the Movies 7/10

4. Aquaman 7/10

5. Batman v Superman 6/10 (Ultimate edition)

6. Joker 6/10 (close to a 5)

7. Justice League 5/10

8. Man of Steel 5/10

9. Suicide Squad 3/10

Yes I know this is a weird list.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

The joker is more a film the academy would love in the 1970s I think to be honest.

Wouldn't exist in the 70s because King of Comedy wasn't made till 83.

edit: came out in 83, not 82.

Edited by Orestes
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Chad DC said:

Have you watched it?

Yes, I saw one of the advance screenings on Tuesday. It's not awful but it's not nearly as deep as it thinks it is. Outside of Phoenix's better-than-the-script-honestly-deserves amount of effort it'd be much worse, but Ledgers is still vastly superior.

Edited by SpiderByte

30 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

70% on RT now...What's going on with this movie on RT?

Can a movie be certified fresh and lose that? That's probably the first time it happens.

It happens which is why they often take time to CF a movie which bounces round in the mid 70s.  Once it drops below 70 it loses CF.  Joker dropped to 69% a couple of times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1