Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Scorsese is a great director, yes but that's a bad take that makes him sound elistist and out of touch. I mean, to say comic book movies aren't "the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being" is just flat out wrong. 

(And the headline may say Marvel movies but we know Marvel is just the popular example being used.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HeadShot said:

And it's still going to be stuck on Netflix meanwhile people flock to see the next MCU movie. The jealousy is transparent. He's just upset that the days of his "regurgitated mafia plots with 0 female empowering roles" is over. 

Why would he be mad about his movie going to Netflix? A bunch of people have Netflix accounts, and there are definitely people who would rather be able to watch a movie from the comfort of their home as opposed to driving to the cinema. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Why would he be mad about his movie going to Netflix? A bunch of people have Netflix accounts, and there are definitely people who would rather be able to watch a movie from the comfort of their home as opposed to driving to the cinema. 

No matter how one spins it, making a movie on Netflix will always be looked as a lesser thing and it should be. I say that as someone who loves Netflix. Made for streaming is better than made for home video but still worse than major released cinema.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Paramount is putting out his next movie after The Irishman so...

Gemini Man & Terminator will both probably lose more money than Irishman would have too... maybe Sonic as well...

4 hours ago, TMP said:

God has spoken

When reading his full quote I do agree with him, but you have to admit that the headline sounds ironic when he had to go to Netflix to get the funding for The Irishman while Marvel movies are one of the few things people will actually pay to see in a theater these days. It just seems that more people prefer, or atleast prefer to see in a theater, the "Theme Park" style of entertainment rather than films which fulfill Scorsese's definition of "cinema."

And this is not to say being produced by Netflix is a bad thing. Their willingness to blow money on non-blockbusters and provide a place for content that would not succeed in today's box office environment is great, and I hope they survive the arrival of D+ and the other streamers. I just wish they would find a way to be able to show their movies in theaters as well for those of us who don't live in LA/NY.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

No matter how one spins it, making a movie on Netflix will always be looked as a lesser thing and it should be. I say that as someone who loves Netflix. Made for streaming is better than made for home video but still worse than major released cinema.

BS. Streaming is the future. The sooner people understand that the better. There's no downgrade in making a movie with Netflix and agreeing to their rules of release. it isn't the "movie's so bad it has to be released on TV" like that Detergent Pt 4 sequel. The Irishman was fully financed by Netflix and their ways of release are known. Also, reviews are stellar. There's no downgrade. 

re: Marty's comments about Marvel movies. I don't know why so much outrage from marvel fans when they were the first to point out that, unlike other Marvel movies, TWS looked like a "real movie". I still remember that. So looks like they are on the same page. Most feel like theme parks and video games, but TWS felt like a real movie to fans admission. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

that's not how you spell Marriage Story and Parasite but good try. 

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/movies/score/metascore/year/filtered?sort=desc

metacritc has it at #3 but ahead of parasite. and the #1 movie also being a netflix picture doesn't really help the arguments that netflix is some sort of downgrade.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/movies/score/metascore/year/filtered?sort=desc

metacritc has it at #3 but ahead of parasite. and the #1 movie also being a netflix picture doesn't really help the arguments that netflix is some sort of downgrade.

I meant to say Parasite is the best reviewed movie on RT this year while Marriage Story is on MC. edited it after your reply.

also Netflix is a downgrade because most people won't be able to see it in a cinema theater. it has nothing to do with quality.